Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
For those who heard the noise Doc's YJ was making at Beverly Dunes, well this why.

EWE Shop Report: Here is the rest of the pieces of the used Spartan Locker that Doc tried to run in he YJ (Dixie). Right off it did not sound right.

I bought a new Spartan Locker but did not have it in my YJ until after this happened. Doc put my new Spartan Locker into my YJ and heard what it supposed to sound like. He bought a new Spartan Locker for his YJ.

The moral of the story is, buy new because you do not know the history of used parts.

used locker

Reactions: G.Goodwin

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
For those who heard the noise Doc's YJ was making at Beverly Dunes, well this why.

EWE Shop Report: Here is the rest of the pieces of the used Spartan Locker that Doc tried to run in he YJ (Dixie). Right off it did not sound right.

I bought a new Spartan Locker but did not have it in my YJ until after this happened. Doc put my new Spartan Locker into my YJ and heard what it supposed to sound like. He bought a new Spartan Locker for his YJ.

The moral of the story is, buy new because you do not know the history of used parts.

used locker
Wow…

Reactions: Ceg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

used locker
Looks like it was pretty wore out when they sold it to him. Did his gears and bearings survive the locker going out?

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Looks like it was pretty wore out when they sold it to him. Did his gears and bearings survive the locker going out?
The locker was given free to him along with gears. The guy pulled it out of his YJ when he regeared and added a selectable locker. Someone did not set up right when my son Doc got it. They left the temporary retainer wires in. We bought a rebuild kit for it. Then we found that it did not fit in his carrier. A friend said to shave it down to fit like a guy did on YouTube. So Doc had a machine shop shave it down. Well it did not last 300 miles.

Everything else is ok in Doc's Dana 35. He is running it with the stock spider gears until the new Spartan Looker comes in.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

It's no fun when things go out that fast, but at least the rest of his parts are still good. Did he do the install and setup of the rear end himself? The last time I saw him we were talking rear diffs and it sounded like he was on the fence if he was going to try it or have someone else do it.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
It's no fun when things go out that fast, but at least the rest of his parts are still good. Did he do the install and setup of the rear end himself? The last time I saw him we were talking rear diffs and it sounded like he was on the fence if he was going to try it or have someone else do it.
Doc did the work. Then his brother Hank took it apart to help him after it wasn't working right. Hank put it back together and it seem to work. The locker started popping on the road to Beverly. Once in the sand the locker die pretty fast. The rear axle started slippy on the way back to camp. So much that it would only more in reverse.

This locker only replaces the spider gears so the set up is easy. It was just a bad locker. Doc's plans to have someone do the selectable lock when he regears. That is a lot of money for him at this time. The new Spartan Locker is only about $260 and should work good for now.

I ran a lunch box locker (Lock Right) for many years in the old XJ without it having issues. That locker was in at least 3 different Dana 35s. I don't know if the Spartan Locker is as tough. I will find out since Doc just put one in my YJ and will have his new one in soon. The EWE Top Member Challenge snow wheeling event should tell us how well they work. We saved you a spot if you want to go.

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Doc did the work. Then his brother Hank took it apart to help him after it wasn't working right. Hank put it back together and it seem to work. The locker started popping on the road to Beverly. Once in the sand the locker die pretty fast. The rear axle started slippy on the way back to camp. So much that it would only more in reverse.

This locker only replaces the spider gears so the set up is easy. It was just a bad locker. Doc's plans to have someone do the selectable lock when he regears. That is a lot of money for him at this time. The new Spartan Locker is only about $260 and should work good for now.

I ran a lunch box locker (Lock Right) for many years in the old XJ without it having issues. That locker was in at least 3 different Dana 35s. I don't know if the Spartan Locker is as tough. I will find out since Doc just put one in my YJ and will have his new one in soon. The EWE Top Member Challenge snow wheeling event should tell us how well they work. We saved you a spot if you want to go.
I want to go but as usual we'll see if work allows it. As for the locker that's what I'm running and haven't had any problems yet. I did a full rebuild minus gears when I put mine in. I have most all the tools needed to setup the rear end when it comes time for Doc to regear. If I'm available I could help him do it, save him some money and he could learn something new.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I want to go but as usual we'll see if work allows it. As for the locker that's what I'm running and haven't had any problems yet. I did a full rebuild minus gears when I put mine in. I have most all the tools needed to setup the rear end when it comes time for Doc to regear. If I'm available I could help him do it, save him some money and he could learn something new.
I am sure Doc would love the help.

The snow run was moved to March 19th so Charlie could compete.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

I am sure Doc would love the help.

The snow run was moved to March 19th so Charlie could compete.
Well, no chance in catch up with you guys on the snow run. Will be in Utah that week, taking the Jeep in case I can squeeze in some fun time around the planned activities. Going to at the very least check out Equipt and 23Zero shops while in the Salt Lake area.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Reactions: M Rose

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
EWE Shop Report: Doc has the fenders swapped from my YJ to his and mount his new EAG Front Tube Fenders on my rusted out fenders. I got his good stock fenders.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
The EWE Top Member Challenge turned into just an easy snow wheeling run. Here are some photos with video clips. Full video coming soon.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Last Saturday's EWE Colockum Snow Wheeling Trip Video is up on our Rumble Channel.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

@Ceg, Have you been up around where the Schneider springs fire burned last fall? Or talked with anyone that has to see what all burnt around there? I've been looking and haven't really seen a good map of what all got burnt and where it went by the time it was contained. I usually try to make it over that way a couple times a year and am trying to figure out if my go to spots are still there. Once a little more of the snow is gone I was thinking about making a day trip over to run some of the roads just for recon to see what's left.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
@Ceg, Have you been up around where the Schneider springs fire burned last fall? Or talked with anyone that has to see what all burnt around there? I've been looking and haven't really seen a good map of what all got burnt and where it went by the time it was contained. I usually try to make it over that way a couple times a year and am trying to figure out if my go to spots are still there. Once a little more of the snow is gone I was thinking about making a day trip over to run some of the roads just for recon to see what's left.
I haven't been up there since the fire. It believe it was closed into snowmobile grooming season. Normally grooming season is not over until April 1st. Part of that closure was Oak Creek and it doesn't open until May 1st. I hope it did not go up Bethel Ridge and go across any 4x4 trails. We are hoping to do Little Rattle Snake this year since it got closed before our scheduled date to go last year.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

I haven't been up there since the fire. It believe it was closed into snowmobile grooming season. Normally grooming season is not over until April 1st. Part of that closure was Oak Creek and it doesn't open until May 1st. I hope it did not go up Bethel Ridge and go across any 4x4 trails. We are hoping to do Little Rattle Snake this year since it got closed before our scheduled date to go last year.
I will talk with a buddy that did the fire breaks with dozers to see what he can tell us.

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ and Ceg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Does little rattle snake still have width restrictions on it? I looked it up once and my WJ was just a little bit too big for what the restrictions said.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Does little rattle snake still have width restrictions on it? I looked it up once and my WJ was just a little bit too big for what the restrictions said.
Yes it does. We were going in YJs last year. I have been on it twice with my old CJ5 but it has been years.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Hope this helps

Attachments