Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Any update on the WJ?
Not too much has gotten done since we started planting. Got the trans filters changed, still working on what i want to do for the lines/cooler/gauge. I got the radiator in to test fit and the bigger fan hits the shroud a little so I need to hit it with the heat gun and make a little clearance. Most all of the wiring and plumbing is back together. I picked up a grill from a '04 to go on it, they were 2 piece that year so the grill and bumper aren't attached to each other. When it goes back together i won't put the old bumper on since I have the Trail forged stubby on order. I also picked up an Air Raid intake tube for when it goes back together, it will still use the stock air box but does away with the OEM tube and muffler. Think cold air intake tube but with the stock air box on the end. I also grabbed a washer bottle from a ZJ on my last trip to pull-n-save, not sure if I'll do that swap right away. Other than that I've stood in the garage drinking a beer and looked at it, might have sat in the drivers seat and made vroom vroom noises...

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Once I get the WJ back together and a few shake down miles on it we should plan something for the green dot roads around Vantage, either do it as a meet up or go for a day run up there. I've been going back a forth from the green dot maps and Gaia to plot some routes. I found a route coming in near Kittatas that will bypass the roads closed for the winter but get you over to the stuff along the river. Also mapped out a 50 mile loop starting in the same place, could be layed out different in a couple months when more of those roads open. Working on one now that goes in at Vantage, north along the river then over to Mission Ridge and then back south to 90 either at Ellensburg or Cle Elum.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Once I get the WJ back together and a few shake down miles on it we should plan something for the green dot roads around Vantage, either do it as a meet up or go for a day run up there. I've been going back a forth from the green dot maps and Gaia to plot some routes. I found a route coming in near Kittatas that will bypass the roads closed for the winter but get you over to the stuff along the river. Also mapped out a 50 mile loop starting in the same place, could be layed out different in a couple months when more of those roads open. Working on one now that goes in at Vantage, north along the river then over to Mission Ridge and then back south to 90 either at Ellensburg or Cle Elum.
That sounds good. I am in if I am not working.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’m going to post this up here For all you Ham guys. Repeater WF7S (146.800 MHz-123.00 Hz Tone) located at Spout Springs is part of a huge repeater group that connects North East Oregon and South East Washington. Every night at 7:00 pm there is a “Rag Chew” net that is a lot of fun to talk on. I personally monitor this Repeater 24/7. I would love to hear you guys here as well.
Any other repeater Frequencies I should add to my monitor list?

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Been swamped with class so I would be out for anything happening this month and probably next. Might get a little lucky since class is all online based at the moment so my weekends that we’re busy are now “free”. Glad to see that @MrWilsonWJ is finally getting close to being done and that people are getting out to some places. I spent about 8 hrs on the land cruiser. Finally have the old wiring harness torn out and am working on trying to get the new one ready to install. Whoever took it out of the wreck one did not play nice with it and there are about 25 wires I need to splice back together and they cut the wires about an inch from 2 sets of pins instead of disconnecting them so I am going to try and find a way around that. Very slow progress but still progress. B2B30A3A-CC7F-4AAE-BF17-564C480A91D1.jpeg785BF0F8-D182-4522-8E6F-665A1B3C29C2.jpegA2E8DF39-9BDB-4FAE-A615-ACF1EA025F87.jpeg

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Been swamped with class so I would be out for anything happening this month and probably next. Might get a little lucky since class is all online based at the moment so my weekends that we’re busy are now “free”. Glad to see that @MrWilsonWJ is finally getting close to being done and that people are getting out to some places. I spent about 8 hrs on the land cruiser. Finally have the old wiring harness torn out and am working on trying to get the new one ready to install. Whoever took it out of the wreck one did not play nice with it and there are about 25 wires I need to splice back together and they cut the wires about an inch from 2 sets of pins instead of disconnecting them so I am going to try and find a way around that. Very slow progress but still progress. View attachment 146376View attachment 146377View attachment 146378
Isn't wiring fun?? Just an idea, but if you already have to redo the pins on one side of the connector would you be better off replacing both sides with some Deutsch or JD connectors? It's a little more time but you would end up with new stuff that is a better protected from the elements.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Isn't wiring fun?? Just an idea, but if you already have to redo the pins on one side of the connector would you be better off replacing both sides with some Deutsch or JD connectors? It's a little more time but you would end up with new stuff that is a better protected from the elements.
I have thought about this. It might come to it since I literally cannot find anything that will work. Even with all of the electrical connectors on a tractor through the years it seems as thought there isnt anything that will work with these.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I have thought about this. It might come to it since I literally cannot find anything that will work. Even with all of the electrical connectors on a tractor through the years it seems as thought there isnt anything that will work with these.
it would be a real PITA to change them all out, but if the harness is already out it would be good insurance to do them now rather than relying on 30+ year old connectors. Not only would you have a better sealed connectors but as long as you got everything together good it would cut down on the chance of electrical grimlins caused by looses terminals/ corrosion/ old pins. I don't mind doing electrical work but that shit can drive you nuts sometimes when you're trying to chase down problems.

Reactions: M Rose

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I also dont mind electrical work, but MAN it can take a long time.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

I totally agree. Electrical is my worst enemy but that is probably due to the fact that I don't understand a lot of it. I know there will be somethings that I am going to have to track down to make this work and will probably be switching out alot of connectors since I am told some are different from certain years.

Reactions: JL Lou and M Rose

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Trail Forged bumper has finally shipped! Apparently they are in the middle of moving and setting up a new shop so between that and the current state of the apocalypse they were a bit slow getting it out the door. I got my radiator shroud formed to clear the fan so I can bolt the radiator in now, still need to go a little more to get good clearance for when the motor mounts flex. It kind of looks like hell but it will work, might swing by pull n save to grab another one to see if I can do it cleaner now that I have a method down. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, just in time to be on lock down and not be able to go anywhere.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Pictures or it didnt happen...

I am sick of stay home stay safe. Stupid virus....

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Got home a little early from work yesterday, but didn't work on anything just spent the time cleaning up some of my mess in the garage and moving parts that won't go back on the WJ out to the shed. But I did get some gifts from the UPS man! Now the fire has been rekindled to get this thing together and running so I can get it to the shop for Fab work.

DIY Trail Forged stubby winch bumper with high clearance radiator support
20200402_091822.jpg

Annnnnd new toys!!!! Dimple Dye set! Haven't totally decided how I'll do the outer wings for the bumper but it will be some mixture of tube and plate so I thought maybe some dimpled holes would look good and lighten it up. If any of you guys in the TC have a project coming up and want to use these, just let me know. They go from 1/2" to 2 1/2" and are rated for up to 3/16" mild steel. I didn't buy the hand pump/ puller set up so you'd have to use a Hyd. press.

20200402_091235.jpg

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I wish we werent stay at home, I would love to come help tinker...

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Got home a little early from work yesterday, but didn't work on anything just spent the time cleaning up some of my mess in the garage and moving parts that won't go back on the WJ out to the shed. But I did get some gifts from the UPS man! Now the fire has been rekindled to get this thing together and running so I can get it to the shop for Fab work.

DIY Trail Forged stubby winch bumper with high clearance radiator support
View attachment 147254

Annnnnd new toys!!!! Dimple Dye set! Haven't totally decided how I'll do the outer wings for the bumper but it will be some mixture of tube and plate so I thought maybe some dimpled holes would look good and lighten it up. If any of you guys in the TC have a project coming up and want to use these, just let me know. They go from 1/2" to 2 1/2" and are rated for up to 3/16" mild steel. I didn't buy the hand pump/ puller set up so you'd have to use a Hyd. press.

View attachment 147255
Are those N series Cummins rocker boxes in the back ground?

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Are those N series Cummins rocker boxes in the back ground?
Big cam 400. Lost the chrome on a cam lobe, but my guys didn't find it until after they screwed up a valve adjustment and bent a push rod.... has reman heads for it and cylinders look good just needs a new cam and do the lower end bearings while it's out. We had a spare motor we put in the truck so we'll have this one put back together and keep it around to put in our water truck, its starting to get pretty tired

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I might be a Caterpillar engine tech, but I have spent lots of time with the Cummins N series too...