Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
This thread is to document the build that someday may happen to my new 2019 Toyota Tacoma ORD Offroad 4x4. I retired the Cherokee recently after it hit 301,000 miles, not because it was not reliable, but it does need a new exhaust and power steering pump. and It is time for it to get some work done to semi restore it.

The New Cherokee I rented a couple years back, did not appeal to me. So I started looking into the Toyota family, and eventually settled on the Tacoma ORD 4x4

Bone Stock from the dealership...

Side View.jpg

Interior.jpg

Console.jpg

Not sure yet what the future plans are, but.... as they happen this thread will document the upgrades and modifications through the upcoming years.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Finally had some time off work , and decent weather. So I moved the 4G cell phone Booster over to the Tacoma. Originally bought this for when I was driving home from working ion West Texas to help minimize the dead Zone. It doesn't get used as much nowadays but it does still come handy

Before turning the Booster on..

Screenshot_20181209-152001_Settings.jpg

and After turning the on, you can see the increased signal strength.
Screenshot_20181209-152203_Settings.jpg

20181210_115015.jpg

The External antenna, So far have not noticed it clashing with the "shark fin" if it does I may have to move it. it is here for testing and make sure it does pick up interference before running the cable thru the grommet in the back of the cab, and Also will need a couple of extension cables for the antennas

20181210_115043.jpg

The Booster was slipped under the drivers seat, and the inside antenna is currently tucked up behind the drivers side sun visor

Reactions: Arailt and JCWages

collinrach22

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Louisiana
Member #

Finally had some time off work , and decent weather. So I moved the 4G cell phone Booster over to the Tacoma. Originally bought this for when I was driving home from working ion West Texas to help minimize the dead Zone. It doesn't get used as much nowadays but it does still come handy

Before turning the Booster on..

View attachment 78804

and After turning the on, you can see the increased signal strength.
View attachment 78805

View attachment 78802

The External antenna, So far have not noticed it clashing with the "shark fin" if it does I may have to move it. it is here for testing and make sure it does pick up interference before running the cable thru the grommet in the back of the cab, and Also will need a couple of extension cables for the antennas

View attachment 78803

The Booster was slipped under the drivers seat, and the inside antenna is currently tucked up behind the drivers side sun visor
Could you post where to buy this?

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Wilson has changed names they are now WeBoost, here is the link to the current model of the one I have 4G-M. They also have units for a fixed location for those who live in areas with poor cell coverage.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Had a bit of a score yesterday... A coworker had several of the MWC on his work truck. When I asked him about them, his reply was "Do you want some?" it took me about 2 seconds to ask How many can I get? and after he ask how many would you Like, I then asked if I could get 4 of them.

20181214_183055.jpg

Brought them home, Drain the water that was in them so I can rinse and sanitize them on my next off hitch. For the price, I could not pass them up.

4 MWC = $0.00
Coworkers who are scavengers and willing to share = Priceless

After they get cleaned up, I will build a rack for these and they will go in the truck as needed.

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
I picked up the the DMM, Dash top Multi Mount from The Taco Garage So that I can use 1" ram ball mounts . The mount has 6 holes spaced 1" apart

The top mounting plate, has a nice finish, and fits the space perfectly.

20181221_150851_001.jpg

I used several binder clips as clamps, this worked well, but did require me to move around a bit to get room to drill the ball mount holes.

20181221_151739.jpg

drill slow and let the bit do the work so you do not blow out the edges on the back of the trim

20181221_152942.jpg

tighten the locating screw up all the way, it did seem to make a difference for me

20181221_154418.jpg

Nice flush top surface...

20181221_154433.jpg

No trimming of the tabs was needed, But I can see where you may need to depending on your tools and skill

20181221_154609.jpg 20181221_154615.jpg

Nice clean install. Although I may go back and tape off the holes I do not plan on using right away to keep the dust out. I drilled all the holes as I like having options, and when I needed a location on the mount I may not have access to a drill and #10 bit.

20181221_184220.jpg

The shiny aluminum spacer got sprayed with a coat of gloss black to help it disappear in to the background once in place

Worst part of this all? I ordered the wrong combination of mount and hardware to work with my phone. I was hoping to make use of this on the trip to Mexico this long Christmas Weekend.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pyrotech

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin Texas
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hanson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB9ZKI
Well, we found a mount that will fit In south texas at a pilot truck stop. Before we crossed over to mexico for the day.

It was a day trip for some food and shopping. Nothing real exciting, but we will be heading back for Christmas eve as well.

20181222_195249.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P