The Semi-urban Suburban: 1997 Suburban K1500

• HTML tutorial

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

After scrolling through the build threads, I have not really seen any Suburban threads (high possibility that I missed them) so I decided it was time to add to the conversation!

IMG_0669.JPG

This is the "Velvet Thunder", a Suburban initially bought brand new by my dad to haul me as a baby around in a car seat roughly 20 years ago. The name comes from its maroon color on the outside matching the maroon coloring throughout the interior, which I will have to post a picture of at some point. Now it serves the purpose of getting to and from home from college, miscellaneous adventures in the upstate, and daily driver as well.

IMG_0982.JPG

So far it has taken me to camping/hiking trips around upstate SC, Boone, NC, down to Charleston, and other shorter trips. Since being at college has really gotten me a taste for adventure, especially with the crowd I am around. I'll hopefully be uploading more shots and modifications soon!

Attachments

Reactions: NC-Trooper

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rad! My buddy just bought one of these. What have you got planned for it???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Nice! Tell us what you have planned.. Good to see you out there using it in semi stock form.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

cosmoblu

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Olive Branch, MS
Member #

Very nice. I had a 1996 K1500, AKA "The Beast" I loved it. Those were some of the best engines IMO. I utilized it primarily in South Dakota, and it was a beast, you had to work to stop it. My only upgrade is that I put some new take off rims and tires, since the previous owner pulled the OEM rims and put some 15x10 on there. I replaced with some nice 18" Chevy take off rims with All terrain tires, I found on eBay, and cheaper than just purchasing new tires.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Awesome.

Love the '92-'99 Blazers, Tahoes and Suburbans. I had a 1994 2 door K Blazer years back. Still one of my all time favorite vehicles. Dead reliable combo, never let me down.

Reactions: Graeman

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Burban builds are always interesting. So much you can do to these things. Don't forget to keep posting as time goes on. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Here's a broken down list of things I plan to have done to the good ole Suburban when I get time and money:

Exterior
-Warn winch mount with brush guard, no need for an expensive full bumper replacement when the stock bumper has enough clearance and is strong enough already
-Winch (thinking 12,500lb, but that's just due to it will be the biggest I could fit in the mounting plate)
-Light bar placement on bull bar
-Skid plates on differentials and other critical underside components
-Rocker panels (but without steps, do not see need at the moment)
-Create some sort of protection of rear quarter panels near bumper; unprotected against hard drops over obstacles
-Rear-facing LED lights
-More stickers :grimacing:
-Snorkel, most likely oriented for FJ60; Seen it done with the squarebody GM trucks

Interior
-Old CD player removal for more storage as in later 90's model GM OBS trucks
-Switches for auxiliary lights, compressor, differential locker
-Removable storage along with bed platform in rear when 3rd row is removed
-Radio mounted to front of center console
-SEAT COVERS
-Pistol holster either on driver door or under dash
-Light mount on passenger side of center console
-Medical kit

Mechanical & Other
-Either a full suspension kit or new control arms, torsion keys and rear leafs for height (shocks as well)
-265/75 Wranger Duratracs OR BFG KO2's (will step up size accordingly with suspension height)
-Air compressor
-Rear differential locker
-3/4 ton Transmission (possibly manual :smilingimp:) when/if the stock does not hold up

Those are all those that I can think of at the moment; but there sure will be more to add to this list as time goes on and needs change. My overall goal is to make a reliable SUV for traveling ultimately across North America. For now, I'm rolling with what I have and using it as it is. Plenty of times I have heard that people focus too much on where their vehicle stands that already getting out and using it for adventure. Sure, there are cases where building and preparation is needed, but in my case I am pretty much locked into the southeast at the time.

Here are some shots just to give a better idea of what's going on:

Engine Bay.jpg
The good ole 5.7!

unnamed.jpg
Seats are still comfortable but ripping apart again; covers to be sought!

Dash.jpg
Went to a custom shop to get the switch mounted and light bar wired up; works great but I need to figure out how to do it all myself for future purposes! Also, the lower CD player does not read and needs to be taken out (as mentioned above).

Ceiling Shot.jpg
Thinking about using the sunglasses holder as a base for a switch panel; never store sunglasses there, and it would get the wiring out of the way very easily.

Window Breaker 1.jpg
Combo window breaker and seatbelt cutter that my dad and I installed a while ago; good for emergency situations and self defense. The flashlight rolling around on the right side needs to be mounted, and radio for comm would be placed at front of this console.

Window Breaker 2.jpg

Folded up backseat.jpg

Rear.jpg
Plenty of room to work with; ready to have the time and money to work with it!

Attachments

Reactions: Anon

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Any plans to ditch the 3rd row seating? Would honestly be the first thing I did. Would open up a lot of potential/valuable space. If you want a great list for a med kit, I've got one that I use for work. I work as an EMT.

Reactions: 2storyadventure

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Any plans to ditch the 3rd row seating? Would honestly be the first thing I did. Would open up a lot of potential/valuable space. If you want a great list for a med kit, I've got one that I use for work. I work as an EMT.

Thanks for the list, will surely look into acquiring things on that. The third row seating is useful as of now for transporting friends and family, and since living in an apartment does not have much open space for storage I am just keeping it where it is. However, it will come out as soon as the bed rack and storage goes in. One thing I want to figure out is a removable portion for the storage/bed rack that I could take out and insert depending on if the second row is folded down or not. We'll have to see how that turns out later on!

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Some things I forgot to add in terms of future mods:

-Differential breathers

-Hood mounted antenna, will make wiring a lot easier

-Taillight guards

-Wiring mod to have both hi and lo beams turned on when hi beams are activated (weird thing with GM wiring at the time)

Some friends and myself are already considering a trip through upstate SC into North Carolina, Tennessee, northern Georgia and so on. Not sure how much off-road ventures we are going to do, but I will try to get on later and list out some places we are thinking so far.

(Definitely making this a trip with the Suburban!)

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

ARB Makes a pretty neat universal differential breather kit. Think it's like $80. Not really sure on the price though. I know they have one that I was thinking about getting, but then again, I might just drill a hole in the bed of my truck/cab (while relocating the front dif breather line wayyy up in the engine bay) then silicone the crap out of it and just run a longer breather tube.

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Found this just yesterday; never thought I would see a Hyundai with a small light bar on the front. It's surely not Suburban size or a truck, but it'd be interesting to see something like this as a small, light adventure vehicle!

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Looking at getting a small lightbar for my Hyundai (Hoonday) when I have the money for it.

Also, that is a good looking Hyundai Santa Fe.

War machine

Rank II

Advocate I

I love seeing other suburbans on here, keep up the good work! Mine is also a work in progress. I haven't yet posted my build thread but will soon.

Last edited:

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Are you planning on going with a solid front axle swap?
That's a journey for later down the road; for now I'm sticking with the stock axles and independent suspension for money/functionality reasons. Currently I'm thinking of ways to get the most use out of the third row being removed and second row being folded down for camping and individual travel. Any suggestions are welcome!

IMG_2136.JPG