The Quest for the Best Knife.

• HTML tutorial

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm curious what knife or knives everyone favors when out on the trail.

I usually have one or two old kitchen knives for cooking, my Kershaw Cryo II in my pocket, the old Victorinox I bought as a kid lives in the glove box all the time and I typically keep my Leatherman Juice S2 in a small pouch (along with some other bits and bobs that can quickly go in my pocket). Finally, I have a Mora fixed blade I keep in my SHTF bag, but it is also good for cooking, gutting fish, or whatever else needs doing.

I'm curious what everyone carries around camp, in their camp kitchens, or just has kicking around the cab of the rig. How do you like it, why do you use it, would you get the same knife again?

Reactions: NMNomad and TSO_NJ

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I keep a morakniv in my fj as a general camp knife you cant beat them for the price.
I agree knives are tools. They should be strong, keep an edge, and serve multiple purposes. I always cringe when I see people opening cans with 200.00 Benchmades and the like. I have a few, and I plan to get a few more, but I keep a morakniv handy.

I love Mister VirtuoVice for sharpening videos, and general entertainment too.

Last edited:

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I hate dealing with crummy kitchen knives, so I keep a mid-grade Wusthof Santoku in my camp kitchen. They are bit more up front, but given the relatively light use, they last forever. Otherwise, I have a Gerber multi-tool (still works for me, though I've heard others express concerns about quality since they moved to China), along w/ a short-blade Gerber machete someone gave me as a gift; it's small enough to be pretty useful in a variety of situations.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

For all around abuse-taking utility knives, I highly recommend ESEE. They are built like tanks and come with a good old fashioned, no questions asked, transferable warranty.

Rowen Made ESEE Knives No Questions Asked Warranty:

If you break it, we will replace it. Warranty is lifetime and transferable. In other words, we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been traded, sold or given away - no sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Many people have some $$ in to their knives, I have under $100. I don't leave deer camp without my buck 119 I bought when I was 14 about 25 years ago, I carry a Schrade Old timer my uncle gave me that I use for food prep only and My daily knock around hanging off my pocket is a Ruko 119 that seems to keep an edge and has never failed me. The Buck was bought with my own money at 14, and My Uncle has been like a father to me so even though it's a $15 knife, I gladly hang it from my belt.

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I've also found the CRKT M16 series to be great everyday knives that tolerate a good amount of use and abuse. Depending on size and version/features, they range anywhere from $20 to a little over $100. They are very easy to disassemble if they ever get really dirty or worn and need to be cleaned/repaired. I have one that I've carried daily for 12 years and it's still kicking!

Masheen365

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South GA
Member #

I have a plain edged Benchmade Griptilian in my pocket everyday. It replaced a serrated edged Benchmade Griptilian that I carried for many years through a few different deployments and got used as a screwdriver a few too many times. Love it, will buy another after this one.

My "truck knife" is an ESEE RAT-3 that I've had for about 6 years. I went through a knife buying phase when I had some tax free money once and bought up a bunch of really good knives. Another good standby is the ESEE survival knife, can't remember the actual name right now. But, long story short, ESEE (formerly Rat Cutlery) is worth the money. Very thick spine, holds an edge, and just love the quality of each blade.

Just one? ESEE 5...

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

My other pocket knife is a CRKT M16 plain edge. I like that it's small and doesn't fill my pocket. However, I broke the tip on it somehow and have to grind it down or make the end a small screwdriver.

Seeing all this love for the ESEE means I may have to ask Santa to bring me one for Christmas.
Check with CRKT to see if they have a blade replacement policy. I just mailed a folding knife off to Kershaw for a replacement blade (snapped the tip off doing silly non-knife related stuff). They charge $10 to replace a blade.

I have also had really good customer service from CRKT. I sent a folding knife back to them when it wouldn't spring open like it should after a year of almost daily use.. They called me and asked if it would be ok to replace it with a new one, no charge. Can't beat that.

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

I have a mora knife which I take with me on camps - cheap and practically indestructible. Plus I always keep a leatherman in my recovery kit. In my camp kitchen I keep a global knife which i take from my house kitchen collection. I don't have anything that looks too tactical as it is begging for trouble in the UK.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Morakniv makes some of the best, affordable knives around. You can beat them up and move on to the next one - but you'll find yourself hard-pressed to beat one for good.
I have a couple of their standard Adventure Knives, their full-tang Garberg, and their little Eldris neck knife - which I would recommend to anyone and everyone to pick up.

Eldris - http://morakniv.se/en/produkter/eldris/

I picked up a CRKT Homefront not too long ago and have been nothing but pleased with it. Not only is it a stout knife with a seriously admirable flipper action, but the whole thing can be broken down to be cleaned in seconds.
https://www.crkt.com/homefront.html

jkxranger

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oregon
First Name
Adrian
Last Name
Simms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7CJB
I keep a Myerchin offshore safety/dive
knife with a marlin spike in my truck, it's nothing fancy but I have had it since I was on a Fire department rescue diver. I took a picture from the Myerchin website to show the knife. Will get a actual pic tommorow.
72 A510 w sheath open.jpg

Reactions: TSO_NJ