Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

While the overland community is great about carrying the emergency medical equipment needed to address life threatening injuries in the field, preparations for more minor aches, pains and discomforts often go neglected. During my time as a tactical, wilderness and remote medicine medic, and Special Operations team leader, I had the responsibility of ensuring that every team member remained in good health and was not distracted while on task. For this reason I carried, in addition to the medications and emergency equipment needed for more serious and more emergent medical illnesses and injuries, a specific bag of over-the counter (OTC) remedies for the treatment of everyday ailments that have the potential to hinder and distract a team member in the field, or become a larger problem for the team as a whole.

For all my friends at Overland Bound who might find themselves far from a pharmacy and in need of treatment for a minor issue, I offer the following list of recommended OTC medicaments to treat just about any minor ailment:

Acetaminophen – Anti-pyretic and pain reducer (Example: Tylenol)

Naproxen & Ibuprofen – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, pain and inflammation reducer (Example: Motrin, Advil)

Excedrin – A mix of Tylenol, Aspirin and caffeine used for reducing pain, especially for headache relief (Example: Excedrin)

Diphenhydramine – An antihistamine with a sedative side effect (Example: Benadryl, Claritin)

Guaifenesin – A common cold remedy, an expectorant (Example: Mucinex)

Pseudoephedrine – used for the temporary relief of stuffy nose and sinus pain/pressure caused by infection or other breathing illnesses (Example: Sudafed)

Pseudoephedrine Spray – A nasal decongestant (Example: Afrin)

Epinephrine Auto Injector – This medication is used in emergencies to treat very serious allergic reactions to insect stings/bites, foods, drugs, or other substances. (Example: EpiPen)

Dimenhydrinate – An antihistamine used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness. (Example: Dramamine)

Loperamide – An anti-diarrheal drug is any medication which provides symptomatic relief for diarrhea (Example: Imodium AD)

Docusate Sodium – A mild laxative and stool softener for relief of constipation (Example: Dulcolax)

Antacid – Anti- diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, indigestion and upset stomach medication (Example: Pepto Bismol)

Simethicone – Used as an anti-gas (anti-flatulence) medication. It acts in the stomach and intestines to change the surface tension of gas bubbles, enabling their breakdown and the formation of larger bubbles. (Example: Gas-X)

Benzocaine – Used short term to relieve pain from minor mouth problems, such as toothache, canker sores, sore gums/throat, mouth/gum injury, etc. It is a local anesthetic that works by numbing the painful area. (Example: Oragel)

Sleep Aid – Used to promote and support sleep. (Example: Melatonin)

Hydrocortisone Cream - This medication is used to treat a variety of skin conditions, to include insect bites, poison oak/ivy, eczema, dermatitis, allergies, rash, itching, etc., it reduces the swelling, itching, and redness that can occur in these types of conditions. This medication is a mild corticosteroid. (Example: Cortizone)

Docosanol 10 % Topical Cream – Typically used to treat cold sores/fever blisters blisters (herpes labialis). It can speed up healing of the sores and decrease symptoms (such as tingling, pain, burning, itching). (Example: Abreva)

Antibiotic Ointment - This medication is used to prevent and treat minor skin infections caused by small cuts, scrapes, or burns. (Example: Neosporin)

Anti-itch Cream - Used to temporarily relieve itching and pain caused by minor burns/cuts/scrapes, sunburn, insect bites, minor skin irritations, or rashes from poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac. (Example: Benadryl Cream)

Electrolyte Tablets - Electrolyte hydration replacement tablets help minimize fatigue and prevent muscle cramps due to excessive perspiration. (Example: Physicians Care Electrolyte Replenisher)

Caffeine Tablets - Used to help an individual you stay awake and alert when feeling tired and/or drowsy. (Example: NoDoz, Vivarin)

Eye Drops – Used to moisten, cool and soothe irritated eyes. (Example: Visine Irritation Relief)

Ear Drops – Used to relive ear pain caused by swimmer’s ear, the common cold and allergies. (Example: Hyland’s Earache Drops)

8-Hydroxyquinoline Liquid - liquid bandage. Antiseptic to help prevent infections. Invisible. Flexible. Waterproof. (Example: New Skin)

Blister Relief – Strong adhesive cushions that reduce friction with your footwear, helps block out water, dirt and germs and absorbs impact. (Example: Next Care Blister Relief)

Hemorrhoidal Cream – This medication is used to temporarily relieve swelling, burning, pain, and itching caused by hemorrhoids. (Example: Preparation H)

Anti-Chafing Lotion – Chafing refers to the irritation of skin caused by repetitive friction, usually generated through skin to skin contact of multiple body parts. Anti-chafing lotion lubricates the area and reduces friction and irritation. (Example: Body Glide)

Muscle Ache Cream – A topical cream used to relief muscle pain and arthritis. (Example: Penetrex Pain Relief Therapy)

Petroleum Jelly – A multi-purpose petroleum based gel used for healing scrapes, rashes and burns, moisturizing and lubricating, reducing wind burn (lips, nose, cheeks, etc..), etc. (Example: Vasoline)

Calamine Lotion - Calamine, also known as calamine lotion, is a medication used to treat mild itchiness. This includes from sunburn, insect bites, poison ivy, poison oak, or other mild skin conditions. It may also help dry out skin irritation. (Example: Caladryl)

Talcum Powder – Used to curb moisture, control odor, and soothe minor skin irritations, notably jock itch. (Example: Gold Bond Powder)

Alcohol Swabs - Individually wrapped pads made of a cotton-type material and saturated with 70 percent isopropyl alcohol used to disinfect minor cuts, scrapes, etc.

Disposable Ear Plugs – Disposable ear plugs are used to basic hearing protection, noise reduction.

Tweezers – Tweezers are small tools used for picking up objects too small to be easily handled with the human fingers.

Nail Clippers - A nail clipper is a hand tool used to trim fingernails, toenails and hangnails.

Insect Repellent – An insect repellent is a substance applied to skin, clothing, or other surfaces which discourages insects from landing or climbing on that surface.

Sunblock – a cream or lotion for protecting the skin from the sun and preventing sunburn.

Lip Balm – Lip balm or lip salve is a wax-like substance applied topically to the lips to moisturize and relieve chapped or dry lips, angular cheilitis, stomatitis, or cold sores.

Dental Toothpick – A toothpick is a small thin stick of wood, plastic, bamboo, metal, bone or other substance with at least one and sometimes two sharp ends to insert between teeth to remove detritus.

Always Remember!! To reduce medication errors and harm, always remember the “The Five Rights of Medication Administration”: the right patient, the right drug, the right dose, the right route, and the right time.

If you have a OTC medication or instrument that you have found useful, and that is not included on the list above - please reply with your recommendation. The goal is to develop the most comprehensive list as possible from which we all can benefit. Cheers!

Last edited:

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

While the overland community is great about carrying the emergency medical equipment needed to address life threatening injuries in the field, preparations for more minor aches, pains and discomforts often go neglected. During my time as a tactical, wilderness and remote medicine medic, and Special Operations team leader, I had the responsibility of ensuring that every team member remained in good health and was not distracted while on task. For this reason I carried, in addition to the medications and emergency equipment needed for more serious and more emergent medical illnesses and injuries, a specific bag of over-the counter (OTC) remedies for the treatment of everyday ailments that have the potential to hinder and distract a team member in the field, or become a larger problem for the team as a whole.

For all my friends at Overland Bound who might find themselves far from a pharmacy and in need of treatment for a minor issue, I offer the following list of recommended OTC medicaments to treat just about any minor ailment:

Naproxen & Ibuprofen – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, pain and inflammation reducer (Example: Motrin, Advil)

Excedrin – A mix of Tylenol, Aspirin and caffeine used for reducing pain, especially for headache relief (Example: Excedrin)

Diphenhydramine – An antihistamine with a sedative side effect (Example: Benadryl, Claritin)

Pseudoephedrine – used for the temporary relief of stuffy nose and sinus pain/pressure caused by infection or other breathing illnesses (Example: Sudafed)

Epinephrine Auto Injector – This medication is used in emergencies to treat very serious allergic reactions to insect stings/bites, foods, drugs, or other substances. (Example: EpiPen)

Dimenhydrinate – An antihistamine used to prevent and treat nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness. (Example: Dramamine)

Loperamide – An anti-diarrheal drug is any medication which provides symptomatic relief for diarrhea (Example: Imodium AD)

Docusate Sodium – A mild laxative and stool softener for relief of constipation (Example: Dulcolax)

Antacid – Anti- diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, indigestion and upset stomach medication (Example: Pepto Bismol)

Simethicone – Used as an anti-gas (anti-flatulence) medication. It acts in the stomach and intestines to change the surface tension of gas bubbles, enabling their breakdown and the formation of larger bubbles. (Example: Gas-X)

Benzocaine – Used short term to relieve pain from minor mouth problems, such as toothache, canker sores, sore gums/throat, mouth/gum injury, etc. It is a local anesthetic that works by numbing the painful area. (Example: Oragel)

Hydrocortisone Cream - This medication is used to treat a variety of skin conditions, to include insect bites, poison oak/ivy, eczema, dermatitis, allergies, rash, itching, etc., it reduces the swelling, itching, and redness that can occur in these types of conditions. This medication is a mild corticosteroid. (Example: Cortizone)

Docosanol 10 % Topical Cream – Typically used to treat cold sores/fever blisters blisters (herpes labialis). It can speed up healing of the sores and decrease symptoms (such as tingling, pain, burning, itching). (Example: Abreva)

Antibiotic Ointment - This medication is used to prevent and treat minor skin infections caused by small cuts, scrapes, or burns. (Example: Neosporin)

Anti-itch Cream - Used to temporarily relieve itching and pain caused by minor burns/cuts/scrapes, sunburn, insect bites, minor skin irritations, or rashes from poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac. (Example: Benadryl Cream)

Electrolyte Tablets - Electrolyte hydration replacement tablets help minimize fatigue and prevent muscle cramps due to excessive perspiration. (Example: Physicians Care Electrolyte Replenisher)

Caffeine Tablets - Used to help an individual you stay awake and alert when feeling tired and/or drowsy. (Example: NoDoz, Vivarin)

Eye Drops – Used to moisten, cool and soothe irritated eyes. (Example: Visine Irritation Relief)

Ear Drops – Used to relive ear pain caused by swimmer’s ear, the common cold and allergies. (Example: Hyland’s Earache Drops)

8-Hydroxyquinoline Liquid - liquid bandage. Antiseptic to help prevent infections. Invisible. Flexible. Waterproof. (Example: New Skin)

Blister Relief – Strong adhesive cushions that reduce friction with your footwear, helps block out water, dirt and germs and absorbs impact. (Example: Next Care Blister Relief)

Hemorrhoidal Cream – This medication is used to temporarily relieve swelling, burning, pain, and itching caused by hemorrhoids. (Example: Preparation H)

Anti-Chafing Lotion – Chafing refers to the irritation of skin caused by repetitive friction, usually generated through skin to skin contact of multiple body parts. Anti-chafing lotion lubricates the area and reduces friction and irritation. (Example: Body Glide)

Muscle Ache Cream – A topical cream used to relief muscle pain and arthritis. (Example: Penetrex Pain Relief Therapy)

Petroleum Jelly – A multi-purpose petroleum based gel used for healing scrapes, rashes and burns, moisturizing and lubricating, reducing wind burn (lips, nose, cheeks, etc..), etc. (Example: Vasoline)

Calamine Lotion - Calamine, also known as calamine lotion, is a medication used to treat mild itchiness. This includes from sunburn, insect bites, poison ivy, poison oak, or other mild skin conditions. It may also help dry out skin irritation. (Example: Caladryl)

Talcum Powder – Used to curb moisture, control odor, and soothe minor skin irritations, notably jock itch. (Example: Gold Bond Powder)

Alcohol Swabs - Individually wrapped pads made of a cotton-type material and saturated with 70 percent isopropyl alcohol used to disinfect minor cuts, scrapes, etc.

Disposable Ear Plugs – Disposable ear plugs are used to basic hearing protection, noise reduction.

Tweezers – Tweezers are small tools used for picking up objects too small to be easily handled with the human fingers.

Nail Clippers - A nail clipper is a hand tool used to trim fingernails, toenails and hangnails.

Insect Repellent – An insect repellent is a substance applied to skin, clothing, or other surfaces which discourages insects from landing or climbing on that surface.

Sunblock – a cream or lotion for protecting the skin from the sun and preventing sunburn.

Lip Balm – Lip balm or lip salve is a wax-like substance applied topically to the lips to moisturize and relieve chapped or dry lips, angular cheilitis, stomatitis, or cold sores.

Dental Toothpick – A toothpick is a small thin stick of wood, plastic, bamboo, metal, bone or other substance with at least one and sometimes two sharp ends to insert between teeth to remove detritus.

Always Remember!! To reduce medication errors and harm, always remember the “The Five Rights of Medication Administration”: the right patient, the right drug, the right dose, the right route, and the right time.

If you have a OTC medication or instrument that you have found useful, and that is not included on the list above - please reply with your recommendation. The goal is to develop the most comprehensive list as possible from which we all can benefit. Cheers!
Wow! Impressive list. Thank you sir for some very valuable information.

Reactions: Corrie and Specter

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Not adding to your list as it’s pretty stout, but I have found a wonderful way to carry a slimmed down otc pill pharmacy with me daily.

The meds are organized in zipper pouches by indication in the wallet. It is by Lewis n Clark and it’s available with 8 or 16 slots. It makes inventorying and tracking what’s used easier than trying to check lots of individual mini containers.

IMG_1121.JPGIMG_1120.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Organizer-Slide-Locking/dp/B000SKXRGQ/ref=asc_df_B000SKXRGQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312087935433&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16664677805269420538&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013085&hvtargid=pla-435283688800&psc=1&th=1

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Not adding to your list as it’s pretty stout, but I have found a wonderful way to carry a slimmed down otc pill pharmacy with me daily.

The meds are organized in zipper pouches by indication in the wallet. It is by Lewis n Clark and it’s available with 8 or 16 slots. It makes inventorying and tracking what’s used easier than trying to check lots of individual mini containers.

View attachment 120349View attachment 120348

That’s pretty cool. I always recommend when storing meds outside of the box they came in to cut the directions/contraindications from the box and slide them with their respective medication. That way if you have the question about the meds you have the information on hand.

Reactions: k9sar

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

That’s pretty cool. I always recommend when storing meds outside of the box they came in to cut the directions/contraindications from the box and slide them with their respective medication. That way if you have the question about the meds you have the information on hand.
All my meds are packaged with that info already on the package. ;) Most are pretty easy to find that way through medical supply companies.
IMG_1122.JPG

All sealed individual packets also ease border crossings if the CBP or TSA want to get curious.

I order them by each by the case as needed and donate the extras to my old scout troop for the boys to update/restock their first aid kits.

rujero

Rank 0

Traveler I

Boston
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Ruggiero
Aspirin would be a great addition to this list. Chewable 81mg tablets are a must have for every first aid kit to reduce platelet aggregation in case of a potential cardiac issue. Some of the other medications would be great to have in several form factors. For example liquid or even chewable diphenhydramine is a faster way of delivering the drug when needed for its antihistamine properties. When combined with famotidine (pepcid), you maybe be able to treat more severe allergic reactions in the field. Lastly, Tylenol suppositories are not a bad thing to have on hand to knock down fevers on someone too lethargic to take it by mouth. The only down side is you need to keep them cool.

Reactions: k9sar

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Aspirin would be a great addition to this list. Chewable 81mg tablets are a must have for every first aid kit to reduce platelet aggregation in case of a potential cardiac issue. Some of the other medications would be great to have in several form factors. For example liquid or even chewable diphenhydramine is a faster way of delivering the drug when needed for its antihistamine properties. When combined with famotidine (pepcid), you maybe be able to treat more severe allergic reactions in the field. Lastly, Tylenol suppositories are not a bad thing to have on hand to knock down fevers on someone too lethargic to take it by mouth. The only down side is you need to keep them cool.
All great recommendations.

Eric8541

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EGT

Great list. Thank you for taking the time to post this info.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Good stuff. I keep a few single use packets of nearly all of that except for obviously epi and a few others. @systemdelete thanks for that link right now I keep them in ziploc bags and it's....not organized haha.

Reactions: systemdelete

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Whiskey , the original cure all medication .
[/
Actually, you’re spot on. This list is about keeping people feeling good, comfortable and focussed, and a little whiskey to unwind, celebrate a great day, etc. certainly lends itself to keeping spirits lifted and a team feeling good. Like any other over-the-counter med - dose is everything:-)

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Got my 16 pocket lewis and clark deal in today. Was going to go with the 8 pocket one but amazon warehouse had the 16 for the same price as the 8. Now to order up some more single use meds and stock it.