The official OTO "Ozark Trail Overland" gear thread!

• HTML tutorial

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

Love this thread! Here is my substitute for the goal zero battery bank. Harbor freight tools.it can also jump start my my rig and has a air compressor. 17 amp hour battery. $59.00!
I’ve been eyeing this for a little while. It seems like an incredible value. I’ve read mixed reviews on it. Is the air compressor any good?

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
Love this thread! Here is my substitute for the goal zero battery bank. Harbor freight tools.View attachment 96214it can also jump start my my rig and has a air compressor. 17 amp hour battery. $59.00!
I have the one just up from this one and it works great. I built the wife a Cooler A/C Unit and she plugs the fan into this and works great. Air Compressor is nice for the wagon and dolley not sure I would use it to air up 4Runner after airing down. Great unit to use

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
I’ve been eyeing this for a little while. It seems like an incredible value. I’ve read mixed reviews on it. Is the air compressor any good?
Yes, it is surprisingly faster than I thought, bringing 35’s back up to HWY PSI.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

• Near impossible to sleep with a dog in it. If duke is your trail buddy, dont waste your money on this.
Found this out the hard way. Tried to sleep out overnight in my Eno hammock, but my 25 lb. pup was on my legs because he sleeps with me. I can't sleep on my back all night, so it just didn't work out. But I LOVE having the hammock hanging around camp to lounge in. Way better than any camp chair.

Reactions: Retinens803

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Honestly don't know what I'm going to do with 2x 40oz tumblers but the price was too good to pass up.

Went to get the 30oz and walked out with the 30 and the double pack for $23

That's 110oz of double insulated awesomeness for less than half the cost of the Yeti 30oz tumbler Screenshot_20190812-124115.jpeg

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Found this out the hard way. Tried to sleep out overnight in my Eno hammock, but my 25 lb. pup was on my legs because he sleeps with me. I can't sleep on my back all night, so it just didn't work out. But I LOVE having the hammock hanging around camp to lounge in. Way better than any camp chair.
I'm a long time backpacker and a hammock is my preferred sleep system when I have to carry it on my back. Nothing beats the combination of weight and comfort. If you get the chance you should try a bigger hammock than the ENO. They tend to be around 9' long and for a lot of people that's too small. 10.5 - 11' long is what most regular hammock campers choose and might make a difference for you. I've known a lot of people who say they can't sleep on their back all night, and are surprised what a good nights sleep they get in a hammock.

If the hammock doesn't work for you, here's an Ozark Trail option that I can highly recommend. I got this for Christmas last year and has become my "Overland" sleep option instead of pitching a tent. Ozark Trail has a cot tent that's been featured earlier in this thread that is awesome. Ozark Trail One-Person Cot Tent - Walmart.com If it's you and your dog this works out great.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm a long time backpacker and a hammock is my preferred sleep system when I have to carry it on my back. Nothing beats the combination of weight and comfort. If you get the chance you should try a bigger hammock than the ENO. They tend to be around 9' long and for a lot of people that's too small. 10.5 - 11' long is what most regular hammock campers choose and might make a difference for you. I've known a lot of people who say they can't sleep on their back all night, and are surprised what a good nights sleep they get in a hammock.

If the hammock doesn't work for you, here's an Ozark Trail option that I can highly recommend. I got this for Christmas last year and has become my "Overland" sleep option instead of pitching a tent. Ozark Trail has a cot tent that's been featured earlier in this thread that is awesome. Ozark Trail One-Person Cot Tent - Walmart.com If it's you and your dog this works out great.

Yeah, I saw that. I actually picked up a Gazelle T3 tent and have been loving it. Very easy to set up and tear down. I can stand up in it and it has plenty of room. I've used quite a bit since Spring and it's roomy enough to use a Buddy Heater when it's cold, just for a few minutes to take the chill off.

Reactions: brianb2

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Yeah, I saw that. I actually picked up a Gazelle T3 tent and have been loving it. Very easy to set up and tear down. I can stand up in it and it has plenty of room. I've used quite a bit since Spring and it's roomy enough to use a Buddy Heater when it's cold, just for a few minutes to take the chill off.
Yeah, looked at the Gazelle during the last Overland Expo. Great design and super easy setup. Only drawback for me was the door. Probably not an issue, just seemed like they could have found a better compromise. Regardless, I think it's a great tent and one I still think about purchasing.

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Yeah, looked at the Gazelle during the last Overland Expo. Great design and super easy setup. Only drawback for me was the door. Probably not an issue, just seemed like they could have found a better compromise. Regardless, I think it's a great tent and one I still think about purchasing.
Lol, yes! The door is what I dislike about it too. And not having a vestibule for rainy weather. But besides those two things, it’s a solid tent.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
I have not seen anyone mention this brand yet, but Woods is fantastic and I can't recommend them enough. A little back-story:

Woods outdoors products, formerly known as the Woods Tent and Canvas Company back in the day, was THE foremost outfitter for arctic expeditions. They made big canvas wall tents (the kind prospectors used to use), parkas, and sleeping bags, all designed for 40 to 50 below zero. Celcius, by the way, though -40 Celsius and -40 F are the same.

They went out of business, but the brand was purchased by Canadian Tire. For a few years, Canadian Tire produced Woods gear that was crap -- it was the exact same as Outward Bound stuff. Very poor quality and I'd barely trust it for a walk in the park, let alone a backwoods adventure.

But last year, something changed. I don't know if Woods division of Canadian Tire hired a gear head like us, but suddenly the Woods stuff at SportChek (Another one of Canadian Tire's stores) started looking really, really good. Like, exceptional.

To put my money where my mouth is, I needed a parka. Now, for context -- my family has been living in Northern Canada for nearly 40 years, earning a living in the bush in my dad's case. He and my mom both have the Woods original parkas. My wife and I use the original Woods sleeping bags on our winter adventures (5 Star rated, super warm!). So I know how good Woods used to be. And my dad wouldn't replace his oft-patched Woods parka for decades because nothing came close to them, until he stumbled upon the Canada Goose Expedition Parkas at Costco one time, many years ago. You know the ones -- they are designed for arctic exploration, but have become a "Fashion" accessory and now cost upwards of a thousand dollars.

I have used Canada goose extensively, but at their modern prices, they are very, very expensive. The Woods Parka I bought at SportCheck last year for $350.00 CAD is better, in literally every way, than the Canada Goose.

I also have a pair of Woods pants, and can't say enough good things about them, either. They are canvas, which means if you get an arrant ember, it doesn't melt a 1 inch hole like most of the synthetic competitors, and yet the canvas is treated with DWR (or something) so it sheds water. I've worn mine almost daily since I got them 3 months ago and they look as good as new.

Now, I will say the Canadian Tire Woods options are still so-so -- the Expedition level stuff is good, as they make chairs and coolers, but the non-expedition stuff at Canadian Tire is still pretty poor quality. But the Woods stuff from SportChek/Atmosphere is exceptionally good quality, and even if it was priced the same as the North Face/Patagonia/Etc. I would still call it good value. The fact that it's often half the price is just a bonus and representative of the huge buying power of Canadian Tire more than any shortcuts taken in quality. So far I've only got one good winter in my Parka and one summer in my pants, but they are holding up well and show no signs of wearing out.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Got a link to the parka and pants?
Duluth Trading is offering a great deal on their 5-Pocket Fire Hose pants. I can attest these are heavy duty long lasting pants, they easily out last any pair of Levi's I've owned recently!

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Got a link to the parka and pants?
I would love to -- I originally had them linked in my post but for some reason OB gave me an error when I hit submit. I just tried again and got the same error, so the best way to get there is sort of a roundabout method.

Go to www.Sportchek.ca and search for "Woods Parka" -- the model is the Alverstone. Also, the pants are the MacBrien Canvas Pants, also on Sportchek. I'm sorry I can't provide direct links!

I think I can upload pics, though;

Alverstone Parka:

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 2.04.46 PM.png

MacBrien Pant:

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 2.03.29 PM.png

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Not exactly "Ozark Trail", but purchased via Walmart.com, I just bought and received the Intex Twin air mattress with built in pump for $24. I have 3 different sleeping pads already, but I'm not really happy with any of them. They are all very skinny and it doesn't take much for me to slide off of them. My latest is a Klymit sleeping pad, but even that I'm not happy with. Since I have the Gazelle T3 tent, and I camp/sleep with just me and my pup, I wanted something a bit more. Many people recommend the Exped MegaMat, but that itself is $230+ on Moosejaw. I just can't justify that. So I figure for $24, this will be worth a shot. I inflated it with the built-in foot pump in my living room in just a few minutes with no problem. It's already better than inflating any of my existing sleeping pads.

Gpschef

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I would love to -- I originally had them linked in my post but for some reason OB gave me an error when I hit submit. I just tried again and got the same error, so the best way to get there is sort of a roundabout method.

Go to www.Sportchek.ca and search for "Woods Parka" -- the model is the Alverstone. Also, the pants are the MacBrien Canvas Pants, also on Sportchek. I'm sorry I can't provide direct links!

I think I can upload pics, though;

Alverstone Parka:

View attachment 112903

MacBrien Pant:

View attachment 112904
THanks for the pics! I’ll check them out cause I need some winter clothing for camping in northern MN!

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

MDBIGHORN

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Frederick, MD, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Madison
Member #

This thread is right up my alley

These are more of backpacking items than Overlanding, but thought I would share my findings.

Ozark Trail Lightweight Weather-Resistant Backpacking Chair, Black - Walmart.com

It is $15 and in the style of the Helinox. I didn't buy this because it weighs 3.6 pounds, which is 1.6 pounds more than higher priced options, but if you don't have to physically carry it, it is fine. Not the deepest butt room but works.

Ozark Trail Synthetic Packable Blanket with Stuffsack - Walmart.com

Again for $15, this is a good option. Packs pretty small and keeps you decently warm. Size is 60" x 70". Wish it came with a compression bag as it would get tiny. Costco occasionally sells a Double Black Diamond down throw blanket for $20 which is 60x60 that packs even smaller and is warmer, but the extra length really helps here.

Also you can get a 3 piece set of cutlery for .88 cents. Comes with a little clip to keep them together and cheap enough for it not to matter if they get broken or lost. I've used them on 2 trips so far and love them.
This thread is right up my alley

These are more of backpacking items than Overlanding, but thought I would share my findings.

Ozark Trail Lightweight Weather-Resistant Backpacking Chair, Black - Walmart.com

It is $15 and in the style of the Helinox. I didn't buy this because it weighs 3.6 pounds, which is 1.6 pounds more than higher priced options, but if you don't have to physically carry it, it is fine. Not the deepest butt room but works.

Ozark Trail Synthetic Packable Blanket with Stuffsack - Walmart.com

Again for $15, this is a good option. Packs pretty small and keeps you decently warm. Size is 60" x 70". Wish it came with a compression bag as it would get tiny. Costco occasionally sells a Double Black Diamond down throw blanket for $20 which is 60x60 that packs even smaller and is warmer, but the extra length really helps here.

Also you can get a 3 piece set of cutlery for .88 cents. Comes with a little clip to keep them together and cheap enough for it not to matter if they get broken or lost. I've used them on 2 trips so far and love them.
I have the chair and made of steel and heavy but I have another that I got on Amazon made of aluminum huge weight difference the one from Amazon was $10 more but they pack away small so good for saving space.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I have a ton of Ozark trail gear that gets used all the time.

My wife has an Ozark Trail folding rocking chair that she loves.

I have the larger Stanley base camp set, as well as a smaller set that stays in my Xterra. Both are fantastic.

Ozark Trail plates, utensils, island a few knives I bought from the kitchen section.

We have a cast iron fire grill grate that we picked up last summer that works awesome.

I wouldn't trust things like their sleeping bags, but for general camp gear, they can't really be beat.

Edit - I just realized I totally necro'd this thread. Whoops!