The official OTO "Ozark Trail Overland" gear thread!

• HTML tutorial

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
Another store worth mentioning would be Menard's. Their Magellan (I believe) camping stuff isnt half bad. I have a nice North Face down sleeping back I have used for over 20 years. I needed something not as packed out, and a bit warmer for nights i sleep inside my Jeep. On a trip to Menard's, I picked up their Magellan 20 degree sleeping bag. Guess what? It's warm, and appears to be built decently. Best part? It was on sale for about $25.00 . Also, I'm a huge fan of hammocks. I have a nice single nest ENO that's been fantastic for many years now, but being a larger guy- always wanted a double nest. I just never wanted to drop 70 or so bucks on the thing. Once again- Menard's to the rescue. double hammock for $14 if memory serves, and a set of the nicest hammock tree slings I've seen form ANY brand for a whopping 5 bucks.

BTW- I used to be a training manager at a high-end outdoor store for a number of years. Marmot, Mtn. Hardware, North Face, Patagonia, etc etc. There ARE certain things the higher end companies make that are truly "better" than the off-branded items. Clothing, tents, backpacks, stoves, and super technical gear. But for the general use items like cups, cookware, lanterns, etc- brands like Ozark Trail are hard to beat, not just for price, but also often for build quality. Yes, they arent always the lightest, or maybe they don't always pack the smallest, but WalMart is like the herpes of retail.....they're everywhere. And in a pinch, they almost always have what you need.

There will ALWAYS be "brand whores" who absolutely, positively, cannot buy anything other than the brand name gear....and that's good actually. It keeps those companies innovating new products, and ultimately, those innovations trickle down to Ozark Trails for a fraction of the cost.

For clothing, I must admit that you DO get what you pay for. Patagonia is simply amazing. It is built better than most, and lasts forever. Also in this category is Ex-Officio. These are things Ozark Trail cannot do at bargain pricing while matching longevity and technical design. Anyway, I digress!

P.S. Menard's has a gallon of white camp gas right now for $7 bucks for anyone (like me) who cannot stand the wastefulness of propane bottles. SEVEN BUCKS for white gas! I picked up a gallon and will likely go back for another.

Reactions: Andy G

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Another store worth mentioning would be Menard's. Their Magellan (I believe) camping stuff isnt half bad.
I agree, Menards, if you have one near or go near one when traveling, usually have a great camping gear section. Their staff is usually far more knowledgeable, too, than you'll find in other big box stores and their selection of all sorts of merchandise is usually more extensive and higher grade than other big box stores. I know if I go into a Menards looking for materials or tools to repair something while on the road, I'll probably find it, whereas I go into a HD or Lowes, have to search hither and yon and talk to store clerks who really have no idea what you're talking about. I was once directed to four different areas of the store and brushed off by several employees, even a mgr dude, when looking for Neatsfoot Oil at a Home Depot.

Anyway, back to the Ozark Trail merch...on a tip from my buddy Tim K at Schutt Industries, who makes the XVenture trailers, I ordered an Ozark Trail 2 room Shower Tent online for store delivery. Showed up in a day or two and I made a run into town to pick it up.

It's not the strongest thing in the world, but I was impressed with the engineering and design that went into it, even if it's a knock-off of another product, and was overall surprised at the quality. Very easy to put up and take down, not a lot of parts, the exo-frame is integrated with the tent and collapses easily when it's time to put it away. Comes with a rain fly, too, though I don't use it unless I expect bad weather.

I've used it on and off since late summer and in a variety of situations and locales. It did take a beating one afternoon in a big wind storm in the Smokies and mangled one of the knuckle joints (one at each upper corner under padding), but was still usable and no fabric was torn. Was funny riding back into camp and seeing it laying on the ground all deflated looking, with guy ropes all still in place.

I like that it has two rooms. The shower half can be closed off inside the larger and has mesh openings around he bottom to drain shower water. The other room can be used for changing or to put a potty in.

This was only $79.00 when I bought it, and has been worth every penny. Not a huge roll to stow away, either.

Here's an image. It's so bad-ass it has it's own spare tire carrier and set of MaxTrax:

roaddude_showertent-tire-n-tracks-1692-700.jpg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I actually love the fact you just used "Hither and yon" in a sentence. You are probably my new favorite person!
Heh - didn't see this until just now. I participate in so many threads I have notifications turned off for every new post in a thread, but on if I am directly replied to or mentioned by name, both of which include the @Road.

I love the phrase hither and yon and have used it most of my life as a part of regular conversation. I love, too, discovering and researching, then helping to keep alive some of the regional things that are disappearing--some more quickly than others--around North America as we all become more 'homogenized,' I call it, from all being exposed to the same media, services, and products. Language especially.

Here's an interesting piece on hither and yon.

Back now to the regularly scheduled thread of Ozark Trail products. . .

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

we have & use & like the Ozark Trail "quick" 2 Room Privacy Shelter. Sets up in minutes & & takes down just as fast. It is roomy as we use it for showering, latrine (Ironman Bush Toilet) & a dressing room.
View attachment 51165
Yep! I have the same one (posted a couple posts back) and like it a lot, especially for the low cost. I see what you did for the shower line. You can just barely see mine in my pic above, coming 'round and through the door. I think I'm gonna make a small cut opening like you have, but in the corner on the shower side, then "seam" it both sides with fabric tape or maybe even install a short zipper so I'll have more options for placement of the whole unit. Pretty dang handy, this two-room tent.

Reactions: ArkansasDon

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
Okay I saw a new to me Ozark Trail Darkest Tent yesterday. So....Real world experience, Was it dark? Was it waterproof? . I really like the 6 person instant with light. But, we have 5 tents already :laughing: We used to live in a campground its amazing the stuff people leave behind. Sunday was a scavenger hunt for new tents, stoves, extra poles, fishing gear.....Crazy ! So back to the topic looking for feedback on the Darkest Tent series I also saw coleman makes a dark room tent also but Like the Ozark Trail better.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

This thread is right up my alley

These are more of backpacking items than Overlanding, but thought I would share my findings.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Backpacking-Chair/338748186

It is $15 and in the style of the Helinox. I didn't buy this because it weighs 3.6 pounds, which is 1.6 pounds more than higher priced options, but if you don't have to physically carry it, it is fine. Not the deepest butt room but works.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Packable-Blanket/632092084

Again for $15, this is a good option. Packs pretty small and keeps you decently warm. Size is 60" x 70". Wish it came with a compression bag as it would get tiny. Costco occasionally sells a Double Black Diamond down throw blanket for $20 which is 60x60 that packs even smaller and is warmer, but the extra length really helps here.

Also you can get a 3 piece set of cutlery for .88 cents. Comes with a little clip to keep them together and cheap enough for it not to matter if they get broken or lost. I've used them on 2 trips so far and love them.

SgtMac

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ 85747, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
McGuire
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Ret.
Trying to get my mitts on one of these:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ozark-trail-one-person-cot-tent/6000197475712

I think it would be perfect for my adventures.
Hmm, I was looking at this one, not sure what the difference is other than price.

Just noticed you're in Canada, was going to say that's a nice price either way.

I have been looking at it for a few days, was waiting to see if it went on sale for Black Fri. No real reviews of it, but easy enough to return if it looks questionable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-One-Person-Cot-Tent/373471042'

They have a 2 person version also, but sounds like the cot has bars running down the middle, like 2 cots push together from the reviews.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Two-Person-Cot-Tent/327748955?athcpid=327748955

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Hmm, I was looking at this one, not sure what the difference is other than price.

Just noticed you're in Canada, was going to say that's a nice price either way.

I have been looking at it for a few days, was waiting to see if it went on sale for Black Fri. No real reviews of it, but easy enough to return if it looks questionable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-One-Person-Cot-Tent/373471042'

They have a 2 person version also, but sounds like the cot has bars running down the middle, like 2 cots push together from the reviews.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Two-Person-Cot-Tent/327748955?athcpid=327748955

Sadly, they're out of stock everywhere around me :( They've sent back all the remaining stock for the season. Maybe I could get a rain cheque, but I doubt it. Ah well.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I have one of these, an Ozark Trail 52 and an RTIC cooler of similar size.
The Lifetime out performs them all and I do prefer the latches on the Lifetime, too.

Bjorn44

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Massanutten, Virginia
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Beery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPI306
Service Branch
Navy and Army
We have had ours for about a year now and it’s so worth the money. In my opinion it’s the best bang for the buck.

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Regarding the 20 oz tumblers. A buddy gifted me a Yeti & a few weeks later I bought an OT. Put 5 ice cubes & water from fridge in each. Sat em on the kitchen counter. After a few days contents appeared same in each. Later, we parked in a lot in Key West. 6 hours later, it was 104 degrees out, don't know what it was in the car but those cups were darn near too hot to touch. Amazed that they were both full of ice!

Reactions: dziner

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

This thread is right up my alley

These are more of backpacking items than Overlanding, but thought I would share my findings.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Backpacking-Chair/338748186

It is $15 and in the style of the Helinox. I didn't buy this because it weighs 3.6 pounds, which is 1.6 pounds more than higher priced options, but if you don't have to physically carry it, it is fine. Not the deepest butt room but works.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Packable-Blanket/632092084

Again for $15, this is a good option. Packs pretty small and keeps you decently warm. Size is 60" x 70". Wish it came with a compression bag as it would get tiny. Costco occasionally sells a Double Black Diamond down throw blanket for $20 which is 60x60 that packs even smaller and is warmer, but the extra length really helps here.

Also you can get a 3 piece set of cutlery for .88 cents. Comes with a little clip to keep them together and cheap enough for it not to matter if they get broken or lost. I've used them on 2 trips so far and love them.
I have that chair and like it. It is comfortable and has lasted a couple years thus far without breaking. I also use one of the tumblers on a daily basis for a few years now, and it has been flawless.

BrockSamsonZR2

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Monoprice's Pure Outdoor brand. They have a rotomolded cooler line called Emperor. I have the blue 50L and I can't find a thing to complain about with it. My requirements were a rotomolded cooler that was well reviewed, around 50L, had tie downs and fit under my ZR2s folding tonneau cover. There was absolutely no chance I was going to pay Yeti or any of the name brand prices. $120 shipped, pretty sure you can't do any better for that price.

It looks like they have some other interesting items under their Pure Outdoor brand but have no experience with them.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=15638