Investor

Enthusiast II

San Francisco, CA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Gill
Member #

I've got that feeling right now. My rig is in the shop getting upgrades. I know I don't need it. But the fact that it's not in my parking space kind of makes me... uneasy.

Super excited though. I'm getting my rock sliders put on and I'm adding recovery points too.

Anyone else get that feeling when their rig is in the shop?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Put mine in today for some long awaited upgrades to the suspension and adding a nicer roof rack and some scene lights. I've got other vehicles to drive so no anxiety there. I'm glad I waited and found the right guy. We may end up collaborating on some other stuff in the future. Trying to get on the road in about a month for a serious tour of the Rockies. Things are finally aligning...I think.

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

We've been "in the shop" since Christmas!! ....well, it seems like there has always been something on our new rig being worked on. But now it is done (if it is ever really "done") and I am itching to get out and start USING the darn thing. Can't yet head south to our fav destination (American Southwest) but in the meantime we will explore a little closer to home (Vancouver Island, then elsewhere in BC, then the Yukon).

Reactions: 9Mike2

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

Just got back from 25 days out, it's now in the shop having the diff's serviced as I regeared and had lockers installed before heading out. Other than that I do all my own stuff, and not having it parked out front is like not having my dog of 10 years next to me. I'll be somewhat lonely for another day............

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

Yep. Mine is in for a 4x4 conversion, expected to be finished the 29th. I'm really getting antsy...

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

yep, make sure it is fully insured I lost my Corvette in the 1970s, a guy went into the shop, paid the bill and drove off with MY Corvette
He bluffed his way thru the questions, paid cash and was gone.... likely in less than 60 seconds.

Wandererr

Rank 0

Contributor I

SoCal
First Name
R
Last Name
R
I hate not having my rig at the house... It's rare that it goes to the shop though as I do all the servicing myself since I don't trust the mechanics. And yes... There are some good shops out there.... And I still don't trust them as noone will take care of my rig like I will. Just recently I did the transmission flush and refill along with the filter change, dropped pan and everything. It was about 4 hours worth of work but I know it was done right. Oh yeah... I'm a software guy by trade ;)

Last time the jeep was in the shop, was for a software update due to a TSB.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I know what you mean but mine doesnt realy go in i just park it at my friends to use his driveway, like this weekend its gonna get a SYE kit and new driveshaft

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

I blew my engine about a month ago, was planning on putting a stroker in it. But now, after numerous hours in Excel, I'm thinking a new-to-me ride may be more cost-effective and financially smart :disappointed:

• Sad

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

What happened to it?
I haven't had time to dig into it, so I can't say for sure. But it developed a bad knock/slap about 3 weeks before it went. I had an extra set of pushrods/rocker arms so I put those in, also checked the flexplate. Didn't solve the issue. My mechanic and I decided that if one cylinder was going, rather than chase it, I'd be better off doing a swap. I've had a philosophy with this Jeep from the get-go that if something needs replacing, I may as well upgrade it. My mechanic along with a couple of local XJ guys recommended a Golen Stroker. Ordered that engine. It would've been ideal to just stop driving it, but unfortunately, I didn't have another option to get to work. One day on the highway, there was a metallic clunk/bang. The engine was completely dead, coasted to the shoulder. Even though I knew what the outcome would be, I tried restarting and nothin'. No starter sound or anything.

AAA to my mechanic and that's where she currently lies, waiting.

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

I haven't had time to dig into it, so I can't say for sure. But it developed a bad knock/slap about 3 weeks before it went. I had an extra set of pushrods/rocker arms so I put those in, also checked the flexplate. Didn't solve the issue. My mechanic and I decided that if one cylinder was going, rather than chase it, I'd be better off doing a swap. I've had a philosophy with this Jeep from the get-go that if something needs replacing, I may as well upgrade it. My mechanic along with a couple of local XJ guys recommended a Golen Stroker. Ordered that engine. It would've been ideal to just stop driving it, but unfortunately, I didn't have another option to get to work. One day on the highway, there was a metallic clunk/bang. The engine was completely dead, coasted to the shoulder. Even though I knew what the outcome would be, I tried restarting and nothin'. No starter sound or anything.

AAA to my mechanic and that's where she currently lies, waiting.
They are prone to oil pumps giving up on occasion, Mine has 135,000 and when I did the clutch I put a "high flow pump in". Good to have a gauge as some were lights........

$2,000 for a good motor if the rest is decent shape.

Wandererr

Rank 0

Contributor I

SoCal
First Name
R
Last Name
R
They are prone to oil pumps giving up on occasion, Mine has 135,000 and when I did the clutch I put a "high flow pump in". Good to have a gauge as some were lights........

Or shop around: couple years back I picked up a 4.0 motor for 7bills with low miles. It was a factory crate someone put in and then pulled later to do a stroker swap

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I've got that feeling right now. My rig is in the shop getting upgrades. I know I don't need it. But the fact that it's not in my parking space kind of makes me... uneasy.

Super excited though. I'm getting my rock sliders put on and I'm adding recovery points too.

Anyone else get that feeling when their rig is in the shop?
Sure do!

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

Or shop around: couple years back I picked up a 4.0 motor for 7bills with low miles. It was a factory crate someone put in and then pulled later to do a stroker swap
I'm sure I can find a decent engine at a decent price. The labor is what really bumps the price up. The deepest I've been in the engine was replacing a cylinder head, and I felt way over my head on that. I can't imagine pulling a motor myself. Perhaps it's time to once again stretch my comfort zone

Reactions: Things

Wandererr

Rank 0

Contributor I

SoCal
First Name
R
Last Name
R
I'm sure I can find a decent engine at a decent price. The labor is what really bumps the price up. The deepest I've been in the engine was replacing a cylinder head, and I felt way over my head on that. I can't imagine pulling a motor myself. Perhaps it's time to once again stretch my comfort zone
Swapping out an engine is actually fairly easy. Just rent or borrow an engine hoist. A weekend job with a few beers ;). First time I did it wasn't too bad ;)

Reactions: Things and DaleRF

Things

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Prescott Arizona
First Name
jeff
Last Name
mcallister
Member #

If you can do a cylinder head a engine should be no problem, especially with all the Youtube videos. Engine lift, jack stands and a floor jack and a flat surface, concrete is a bonus. You can rent or find those cheap on craigslist or faceplate. BUT if the rest of the rig is worn out it is time to move on.
Mine will always be repaired as it is built out and I have 50 years of mechanical work behind me. Too much invested already........
Get a friend or two, find a garage and 2 days later you are back in it! Good Luck!

Reactions: DaleRF

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

If you can do a cylinder head a engine should be no problem, especially with all the Youtube videos. Engine lift, jack stands and a floor jack and a flat surface, concrete is a bonus. You can rent or find those cheap on craigslist or faceplate. BUT if the rest of the rig is worn out it is time to move on.
Mine will always be repaired as it is built out and I have 50 years of mechanical work behind me. Too much invested already........
Get a friend or two, find a garage and 2 days later you are back in it! Good Luck!
The bird nest of wires and numerous bags of bolts is what really scares me! I'm always worried I won't remember where everything goes.
The rest of it is in fairly good condition. The driver's side floor pan is rusted out, but I already have a full set that I had intended to weld in this summer. Eh, this is definitely the cheapest option. Geez, I hate indecision...

I'm looking at a 2017 JKU tomorrow. But if that doesn't fit the bill, I think I'll probably go with everyone's advice here and just do it myself.

Reactions: Things