The General Enthusiasts' 2017 Tundra TRD Pro

• HTML tutorial

point_of_impact

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Member #

Good progress so far. Just started building up my TRD Pro myself. Subscribed![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bonjurns

Bonjurns

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Burns
What are your future mods.
We'll see. It's looking like I'll end up adding Alcan leaf springs after all; with the racks+decked system, the rear leaf pack is constantly on the cusp of overloading. Add a tent, and they sit flat. Some good rock sliders are gonna happen too. Probably White Knuckle; I liked the Slee, but they don't work with the 38 gal tank. Beyond that, everything else is will be done if I have extra money to burn- the truck kinda kicks ass, stock from the dealer. Here's a partial list of things I've got my eye on:

-Tuffy locking underseat storage
-aftermarket backup sensor
-aftermarket front camera for crawling
-Rigid adaptive light bar
-trying to convince the folks at C4 Fab to make a lo-pro bumper for the Tundra, if they do, I'll get it real quick, and put a Warn winch in there.
-BFG KO2; a bit bigger than stock. I've almost bought these already, but the fact is that even though the stock Michelins look a bit limp, they work really well- especially considering this is a daily driver. I'll upgrade these when the tires need replacement.
-ARB locking diff
-ARB air compressor
-second battery
-Pro Comp fender flares, color matched
-Icon front UCA, when I get bigger tires.
-seat heaters in the rear for the kiddos.
-Rhino rack pioneer rack for over the cab.

...and, if I ever have more money than I know what to do with, a Magnuson supercharger and Bully Dog computer.

I'll let you guys know when I have a spare 20k to piss away on my truck, ha

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Great build! Big fan of this color choice...had a video posted on our Instagram yestederday about a new wire harness and camera for a front and rear camera override by a Tundra forum member Tundra Tex. Just order will post finished product.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Great build! Big fan of this color choice...had a video posted on our Instagram yestederday about a new wire harness and camera for a front and rear camera override by a Tundra forum member Tundra Tex. Just order will post finished product.
Do tell. Where can one see the IG vid?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

A Better Place to Put the Hi-Lift

Leitner, the rack people, have a Hi-Lift mount for their racks. I initially had the lift up high on the racks, but it got in the way when I was opening/closing the tent.

I went ahead and made it fit the factory tie-down slider, now it fits much better: View attachment 29727

here are a couple of alternate views:
View attachment 29728 View attachment 29729

The Leitner mounts are burly, lockable, and easily adjustable. Good stuff.
Love my Leitner Active Cargo rack, it is the best purchase I have made for my truck.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Someday I will be cool and own a Tundra TRD, so says my son! Love these pics and build. Serious question though. Have any of you owners found the size of the rig and inside with getting down trails? I ask because I live in the Northwest and a lot of the trails I frequent are even close on the sides to my Ford Ranger.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I had an 08 tundra and loved everything about it but the size. It was just too big for where I like to go, I ended up buying a 15 taco and it’s worked out very well, but we do miss the extra room sometimes. If I had anything bigger than my boat to tow I probably would’ve kept it and bought a jeep for trails, but I don’t and I wanted to have one vehicle to do it all for me. The tundra was very capable and the traction control was impressive off road, but I just like the tight twisting trails too much.

Reactions: Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

View attachment 19465

Hi everybody! This thread will be a photo diary of the overland build of our 2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro (CrewMax). We'll be using it for adventuring all over the American West. Currently it is a stock-ish TRD Pro, which means upgraded shocks and springs, skid plates, and ss dual exhaust, among other things. I've added a TRD air filter and rhino lined the bed. The racks I'm using are by Leitner designs. Made in the USA, all aluminum. Light weight, burly, and modular. Highly recommended.

We are a family of 4, soon to be 5 (plus a dog). This build will be focused around solid off-road capability, comfort, and being able to carry all the gear that goes along with our lifestyle. I doubt we will be hitting up the Rubicon Trail, but something like the White Rim is definitely going to be happening. Mountain biking is a major part of our non-winter lifestyle, so being able to carry all the bikes+gear, plus all the other basics is the main challenge.

Not pictured (yet):
-CVT Denali summit series tent
-Decked drawer system
-swing away hitch/racks
-recovery goodies (hi-lift, shovels, etc.)
-awning

Over time I'll also be adding:
-rock sliders
-pioneer rack system
-vehicle lighting and area lighting
-compressor
-bed outlets
-second battery
-radio
-upgrading mapping+GPS

I do a fair amount of riding/hunting/fly fishing/ski mountaineering in addition to the family weekending, so if that stuff interests you, you can follow me on here and Insta at The_General_Ethusiast. Likewise if you are into that sort of thing, PM me- I want to follow and check out what other like-minded folks are up to.

Cheers!

Jonathan.
That’s a great truck, and the aftermarket is finally starting to support them with all the cool stuff!

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I had an 08 tundra and loved everything about it but the size. It was just too big for where I like to go, I ended up buying a 15 taco and it’s worked out very well, but we do miss the extra room sometimes. If I had anything bigger than my boat to tow I probably would’ve kept it and bought a jeep for trails, but I don’t and I wanted to have one vehicle to do it all for me. The tundra was very capable and the traction control was impressive off road, but I just like the tight twisting trails too much.

I completely agree and the reason I keep my Ranger, also the fact that it is paid for. I do like the narrower footprint as well. My Ranger is a bit small and I would like a full second row seat given I have kids and dogs and such.

Reactions: 000

Bonjurns

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Burns
loving your rig! still debating on your rack system or a nuthouse rack system.. how much weight does your rack hold?
Thanks.

The Leitner is rated for up to 1000#, static (meaning RTT + people). The racks themselves are only 70#. I like that I can mod them based on what I need; the cargo boxes are useful. I'm curious about the long box as well, I think it will be a bit more storage.

Bonjurns

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Burns
Aqwe
The front cam harness is perfect! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Porschetech29

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut, CA
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Manuel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6TCQ
Nice looking build. Make sure to take a look at Deaver u748 leaf springs and ADS spec rear bypass shocks. Contact MCM Fab in Las Vegas for this setup.