The EXPO TRON Build

• HTML tutorial

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

INTRODUCTION
Hey Overlanders! My name is Stefen and I'm an Adventure Enthusiast. I was born and raised in Tucson, Arizona where I currently reside. The desert is my home and I have grown to love it, seeking out various trails and the hidden gems of this beautiful Grand Canyon State. I'm excited to be a member of Overland Bound, and hope to meet Overland Enthusiasts all over the country! I am Overland Bound #1235.

You could say that I have an obsession with the movie TRON:Legacy. :sunglasses: During my first build, I chose to adopt the Black and Orange theme of the badass character in the movie, RINZLER. My 2008 Toyota Tacoma was later named Rinzler, and made a name for itself since I pride myself in being different from the rest! Long story short, I totaled that truck on January 2nd, 2016. :cry: It was a very hard loss as it was more than just a truck, it was what made me the enthusiast I am today. Similar to my accident, near the end of the movie TRON:Legacy, Rinzler crash landed into the Sea of Simulation. As he sank into the abyss, his suit emblem and orange lighting changed to blue, revealing his original purpose and true character, TRON. I never imagined this kind of relation to a character in a movie, but it's so bizarre how everything turned out! On January 27, 2016, I bought my first brand new vehicle, a 2016 Super White TRD Pro Tundra.

TRON is now live on the Grid.

Last edited:

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

The Game Has Changed.

VEHICLE SPECS:
-2016 TRD Pro Tundra 4x4 CrewMax
-5.7L V8 Flex Fuel

PERFORMANCE:
-TRD Dual Cat-Back Exhaust
-AFE Drop-in Air Filter
-
SDHQ Secondary Air Intake Pump Relocation Kit

WHEELS/TIRES:
-Method Mesh 18x9 (+18/5.75")
-35/12.50R18 Toyo Open Country R/T
-Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers up front

SUSPENSION:
-ADS Racing Shocks 3.0 Coilovers w/ Resis & Clicker Adjusters
-16" 650lb Eibach Springs
-MCM Fabrication Uniball Upper Control Arms
-Coachbuilder Billet Carrier Bearing Drop Kit
-TRD Pro Bilstein 2.5 Piggy Back Rear Shocks
-Valley Spring Service Custom Expedition Leaf Springs
-Coachbuilder +3" Shackles

ARMOR:
-SDHQ PreRunner Winch Mount Front Bumper & Skid
-SDHQ 4130 2" Chromoly & Tig Welded Bolt-On Sliders

EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT:

-BAMF Bed Rack w/ Universal Mounting System
-Tepui Autana Ruggedized RTT w/ Annex
-BedSlide 1000 Pro SE
-KMF TentLite Kit
-
Canyon Cooler Outfitter 55
-Canyon Cooler Scout 22
-Pelfreybilt Trasharoo

RECOVERY GEAR:
-MAXTRAX MKII Recovery
-Rotopax 2 Gallon Gas x2
-RotopaX 2 Gallon Water x2
-IAS 10lb Co2 OBA System
-Krazy Beaver Tool "Murder Spork"
-Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe
-Hi-Lift 48" Jack

-XPOTRPR Fire Extinguisher Quick Release Mount
-ARB Tire Puncture Repair Kit
-ARB E-Z Deflator
-Rugged Ridge 30k Recovery Strap
-JNC4000 1100A Portable Jump Starter

COMMS:
-Baofeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) Ham Radio
-Uniden 520XL CB Radio
-3' Firestick II Antenna
-
Pelfreybilt CB Antenna Mount

POWER MANAGEMENT:
-Switch Pro Power System

LIGHTING:
-Baja Designs OnX6 Arc Dual Function 50" Driving/Combo Light Bar
-Baja Designs XLR-80 Wide Cornering A-Pillar Lights
-SDHQ A-Pillar Mounts
-Retrofit Source 9003/H4: Morimoto Elite 55W Osram CBH 6K HID System
-LED Reverse, License Plate, and 3rd Brake Bed Lights
-LED OEM Style Cargo Bed Lights
-LED Interior Lighting

EXTERIOR:
-Inyati Bedliner
-DIY PVC Flag Mount
-Hella Supertone Horn Kit
-AntennaX Off-Road 13" Antenna
-KMF Cab Mount Chop and CMC
-3M 1080 Satin Black Vinyl Roof Wrap

INTERIOR:
-FRACv2 Front/Rear Anytime Camera
-Weathertech FloorLiners
-ESP Plastic Rear Seat Storage
-15% Tint with 5% strip on Windshield
-Salex Center Console Organizer

2018 MODS/PURCHASES/GOALS:
-Auxiliary Power in Bed
-Baja Designs S8 40" Amber Wide Driving Light Bar
-SDHQ Hood Scoop Light Mount
-SDHQ ABS Guards
-ADS 2.5 Rear 10" Triple Bypass Shocks
-ADS 2.125 Rear Hydro Bump Stops
-Pelfreybilt Rear Bumper with Dual Swingouts
-SDHQ Fiberglass Fenders with Custom Inner Fender Plastic
-MAGNUSON.

Last edited:

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Day 1 at the dealership!

Headed straight over to Inyati Bedliners in Gilbert, AZ after the dealership! Inyati was highly recommended by my friends at SDHQ Offroad who also trust them for their own builds.

Immediately after the bedliner was finished I drove over to the tint shop and got my 15% all the way around over the stock privacy glass, with a 5% strip on the windshield! It came out nice and dark, but not too dark for night driving :sunglasses:

Made sure it fit in the garage! ...With inches to spare

First big purchase (well technically I bought them before the truck)....Method Race Wheels!

186 miles on the truck and I made the next big purchase....DirtyFIVES! 35/12.50R18 Toyo Open Country R/Ts on stock TRD Pro Suspension! :hearteyes:

Last look at stock, but I got excited when I saw the droop, not bad at all

Initial fit compared to stock in the rear, and when I started getting giddy

Right after install I had to find a spot to show off...AZ Sunset made that pretty easy :smirk:

Last edited:
Reactions: VCeXpedition

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Knowing it would take alittle while to get my new shocks built (stay tuned :sunglasses: ), I went ahead and bought the Ekstrom Design Coachbuilder +3 Shackles, which included billet carrier bearing drop spacers, and the new bushings for the stock leaf packs to fit in the new shackles. I also got some spacers for the front coilovers from Ekstrom Design to lift it about an inch. I was really impressed with the quality and size of the new shackles, very well built and it brought the truck together nicely on 35s!

Stock vs Coachbuilder

TRD Pro Coilovers with the Spacers

Billet CB Drop

BEFORE

AFTER

Reactions: Truckerbizz

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

A bittersweet moment after I lifted Tron, I drove over to my old spot where I would always take poser pictures of my Tacoma, Rinzler, after I did something new to it....:sweatsmile: Regardless I began to love this truck more and more everyday and I totally understand that feeling a couple other Tundra owners had mentioned, "I still can't believe it's mine!" ....and photo dump.

666 on the temp plate haha :devil:

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

My buddy Andrew at Keepers Metal Fab (KMF) in Tucson was a huge part of my Tacoma build and honestly without him, Rinzler would have never been as epic as it was. He's taught me a lot and I'm grateful to call him a friend. With that said, there was no doubt I wanted him to be apart of building Tron! Showed up at his house with more than enough metal to build some bed bars, and we also needed to address my 35s rubbing on the cab mount :grimacing:

Until I make up mind on a full bedrack or a shell, I'm sticking with a simple bed bar setup to mount my RTT for camping. Here's Andrew turning everything into a reality :wink:

Next we cut back the cab mount and more of the fender, to the rear of the front tires. Andrew was able to use the same plates cut for a Tacoma cab mount and weld them in

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Our First Adventure - Box Canyon in Florence, AZ 3/4/16
Now that I could fully clear 35s, I was long overdue for some offroad action! I grabbed my wife (fiancée at the time) and we headed North to Florence, AZ. I had never been to Box Canyon before so without too much knowledge of the area and going solo, we took it easy, just exploring the first bit of the canyon before it turned into anything difficult. Driving a full size on a tight trail like that was definitely a new experience but we made it just fine!

The Love of my Life :hearteyes:

Playing with some articulation!

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Three Feathers to Chiva Falls in Redington Pass, AZ - 3/6/16
With a single days rest, I still had an urge to get out and really put Tron to the test. Since I had taken my lifted 2wd Tacoma through the almighty Three Feathers obstacle on the Chiva Falls trail with no more than some good spotting, I figured this trail wouldn't be so bad... and boy was I wrong!:fearscream: Turns out this Tundra is alittle more trail limo than imagined, but nonetheless I had fun learning. Going down Three Feathers was supposed to be easy since I was taking the easiest line, but with the long wheel base, less than 3" lift front and back, and no sliders made it pretty damn stressful! With careful and very slow maneuvering I managed to get through it with some minor scuffs on the passenger side frame, rear diff, and at the very end I gave a giant boulder alittle love tap with my front passenger side bumper. Good thing I have plans to replace that anyway....:tearsofjoy: Didn't take too many pictures but the prize at the end made everything worth it!

Lot's of 3 wheel action!!:dizzy:

and the PRIZE!!.....

Chiva Falls, Tucson's little desert oasis :astonished:

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Roof Top Tent Club!
Once I finally painted my bed bars, my dad came over and helped me get back into the cool kids club! The Tepui Ruggedized Autana RTT in Expedition Orange. :sunglasses: This tent used to look huge on Rinzler too! With the bed bars roughly the same dimensions to the tundra as my bedrack was to the Tacoma, my RTT sits nice and high but still less than an inch above the cab with the ladder. Also take note here of my first trail damage from 3 Feathers on the bumper...haha :sweatsmile:

We didn't get a chance to camp, but we opened it up for the first time since my Tacoma accident and went shooting for a couple hours :sunglasses:

My "other" pride and joy resting on its Pelican case :sunglasses: SCAR 17s and mods!

I didn't have too many pics of myself with Rinzler, but the wife is here to fix that this time around :smirk:

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Couple cool pics from work hanging out with our MRAP (Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected) All Terrain Vehicle. Most often used to plug holes in the fence after they knock it down and drive through the Border :rage: Should have thrown a OB Decal on there now that I think about it haha

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Next up, I installed some MCM Fab Uniball Upper Control Arms! Only took about 24 hours to build my confidence up, then got it done. :wink: Compared to my Tacoma, these were much easier to manipulate the long UCA bolt out. I could never install UCAs solo on Rinzler....

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Schnebly Hill Vista Overlook of Sedona, AZ - 3/25/16
Last minute on a Friday afternoon before my wife got home from work, I seized the opportunity to prep the truck for a quick 1 night camp trip that would be followed by our Easter weekend vacation to Sedona, AZ. :smiley: There has always been something about Sedona that the both of us cant get enough of, which is why we ended up getting married there! I knew it'd be a jam packed weekend with planning for our wedding, but I was more excited to finally camp!:tonguewink: This was the first camping trip with Tron and also the first since the death of Rinzler...

We finally arrived at the exit for Schnebly Hill Road off I-17 around 2200. By about 2330, the full moon was shining bright, RTT was setup, and the little buddy heater was warming us up while Nikki and I gazed out the mesh window trying to grasp the amazing view we'd wake up to in the morning!

Once morning arrived, I was like a kid on Christmas peaking out the window of the RTT! Despite the bitter cold breeze, I could not have asked for a better view :astonished:

The mirror thing was totally not planned either! #TeamTepui

Whatever it takes to sleep flat right? :tongueclosed:

5 Star Room with a View.

Headed into town for some wedding planning then more adventures. To be continued...

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Easter Sunday Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona - 3/27/16
As much as I wanted to go back out and find another spot to camp, we caved and got ourselves a hotel room. I really couldn't complain about a shower :wink: but we certainly had a beautiful Easter morning view with the sound of Oak Creek running not far from below.

What's a trip to Sedona without Broken Arrow!? When we originally planned this weekend trip I was more excited to test Tron out on the Broken Arrow Trail since I was so familiar with running it in my Tacoma. I thought it'd be fun to replicate some old pictures too :sunglasses:

RINZLER

TRON

Standing on top of Submarine Rock

Took a break at Chicken Point

Just like old times

TRON

Rank IV

Advocate II

Continued

Money shot

Nikki took the wheel for the more difficult areas, which I felt better off spotting since we already learned the hard way how long the tundra is. It was a win/win since she was getting really confident in wheeling as I was improving my spotting skills and learning how to maneuver this beast through obstacles!:grimacing: ....sorry I couldn't take pics at the same time tho...only got a few.

Devil's Staircase with her in the passenger seat of Rinzler

Now confident as ever, she took the wheel in TRON! This was the end of our awesome weekend in Sedona, but we immediately began prepping for the Overland Expo in May!