The evolution of Miss X.

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I've been peeking in the back window for a bit, so I thought I'd wander in, say "hi" and let you know what I'm up to.
I've been attracted to adventure, have had a healthy curiosity for the path less traveled, and have been brought up with a father's who's advice was that "gates and fences and no trespassing signs were meant for other people". If nothing else, growing up it always provided with some memorable experiences and many an adventure. The crew consists of me, the wife, and our two four legged co-pilots.

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra Off-Road. Bought it 3-odd years ago now and have loved every km of travel that it has provided. It was always meant to be used as a vehicle for adventure when I purchased it. It's been all over southern BC, into Washington State, and has hauled our travel trailer to the Oregon Coast on a few occasions.
It was a need to look to expand my adventure travel horizons that brought me to this website, and have seen the start of the evolution of Miss X.

She sits on 285 BFG KO2'swhich so far have been remarkable tires. I've fabricated up my own DIY air intake with a K&N filter, and had a Magnaflow 2 into 1 muffler added (along with the removal of the stock Y-pipe)...for some added performance.

In January I purchased a CVT Mt. Shasta (which we are very eager to use). I also picked up a Dometic CF-50 fridge....as everyone seems to indicate a fridge is one ofthe best investments made.

As of last weekend, i removed the Nisstec 2" spacer AAL lift and she is now sporting a new Ironman 4x4 2" suspension kit. It has foam-cell shocks all round, with HD coil springs, and HD full leaf pack. I added SPC UCA's, and Nisstec 1" top mount coil spacers, and adjustable shackles.

Sitting in my garage is an ARB bumper with a Superwinch 9500 synthetic line winch bolted on......waiting to be installed next weekend (hopefully).

I also have a set of IPF lights to install, a dual battery kit with a pair of Deka Intimidator's, and have to finish running my wiring harness to power the fridge.

At some point I need to sort out some sort of way to carry/haul extra fuel and the chainsaw. I'd love a good rear bumper with carrier. but given what I've spent this year so far it may have to wait for a bit. We've also been working on purchasing lighter, smaller, and more efficient camping gear to take with us on our "overland adventures". But that is a story for another day.

I think that about covers it for now. I'm sure I'll have many a question to pose as I travel down this road.
Cheers.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Nice rig! Welcome! How are you liking the KO2's?
I'm liking them a lot so far. I have studded winters so I can't comment too much on their on road winter manners, we did head up in the mountains a couple weeks ago and they did well in deep snow. Seemed to do well in sandy beaches too. Good on road manners too, just a real good all around tire I figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I already welcome you in the general discussion forum, but the X is looking great man. Looking forward to seeing the bumper installed.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I installed the ARB bumper yesterday. Installation was pretty straight forward and I think it looks great. I wired up the fog lights, turn signals, and marker lights. Today I ran the power lines from the winch to the stock battery (for now). I also finished running my wiring harness for the fridge through the firewall, along with the harness for the Spotlights, and the harness for the TMax dual battery display. Mounted that display on the dash and secured all the wiring away safe and neat. In the schedule for tomorrow is finishing wiring up the spotlights, and maybe start in in my dual battery setup

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Great looking X, there is quite a following of us on here. Welcome to the site and keep us up on your travels.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Thanks for all the replies. Yesterday turned out to be a bit of a down day. It rained most of the day, so we took the dogs for a good walk. I did finally get the winch line rolled on, but that was about it. Still lots to cross off the list, will work on it as I can.

Last edited:

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Finished wiring the IPF spot lights, and the wiring to my fridge today. I think she is coming together well. Looks like we may head out to try the rtt this upcoming weekend ( I hope ).

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

It was so nice out this evening I decided to work on a Hi-Lift mount. This is my Beta version. We're heading out for an overnight trip tomorrow, so I'll how it holds. Cost me about $15, a couple muffler clamps and some nuts, bolts, and tubing.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Trixter404

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Olympia, WA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Hannum
Member #

Looking good! I'm still trying to decide where to mount my Hi-Lift (probably the front bumper, when I get it). Let me know how it works out. I don't know about this forum, but people on "other" forums will likely have comments about it being mounted on the driver's side.

Last edited:

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I don't think it will fit in the passenger side without interfering with the rtt. I don't really want to mount it on the front bumper either. Don't really want it inside either, and I only gave a stock rear bumper so it won't fit there. I've read some of the reasons why not to mount it on the driver side, but don't have much choice right now. One day I'll have that sweet rear bumper to bolt all the doo-dads I can think of onto.

Reactions: Trixter404

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

First overnight trip a success. We ended up camping at Option C, as our first two locales did not pan out. Was a good chance for a shakedown run, see what we are doing right or wrong , etc.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I also had some time left this afternoon when we got home to start working on my dual battery setup. First part completed; relocating the power steering reservoir from beside the stock battery to an out of the way location. Next step will be to fab up a dual battery tray. I have already run the TMax dual battery control from the dash to the engine bay.

Maxterra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

West Haven, Utah
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Horting
Member #

Sweet!
Got my national Luna dual battery setup and odyssey batteries.
Like you, need to relocate reservoir and get the new tray going to get it all in there.
Was hoping to have done before this weeks trip, but not gonna happen.
Hurry up and finish yours!![emoji38]

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Sweet!
Got my national Luna dual battery setup and odyssey batteries.
Like you, need to relocate reservoir and get the new tray going to get it all in there.
Was hoping to have done before this weeks trip, but not gonna happen.
Hurry up and finish yours!![emoji38]

I try to work on projects when my mindframe is accepting, so I don't get too frustrated. Yesterday afternoon was a perfect time to tackle the first step in this project. I spent a bit of time researching it, made sure I had the right sized hoses, thought it out in my noggin' a few times before committing to moving the PSR. Funny thing, it was a very simple modification. I'm hoping that fabbing up the dual battery box and trying to jam both Bates in place will be equally as frustration-free to complete.

As the good weather comes on strong here, it is getting hard to commit to weekends of fabricating, repair, maintenance, and modifications. I have a nagging little weep from the passenger side front dif seal to deal with ( I think it was a result of me inadvertently pulling the axle out when I replaced the suspension). I've been checking the fluid level and it does not seem to be going down much, but i still will replace that seal anyways (when it arrives).

Once my dual battery setup is complete, I am going to try to fab up a fridge slide to make access easier. I was very impressed with how the Dometic Cf-50 fridge operated last weekend. It kept our stuff nice and cold.

I also need to come up with a quick exterior storage (ie: fuel cans, chainsaw, water cans), for this summer. I pretty much used up my budget this year with all the goodies, so a rear bumper of decent roof rack is out of the question for now. I may just buy a simple hitch mounted rack for this year, have a friend weld it so it sits higher. I have a spare hitch mounted wheelchair lift with swing-away here at work, I may try to incorporate with a gear basket for now also. Hopefully next year the CFO will approve more funding and I keep on spending. Ha.