The evolution of Miss X.

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Haven't updated in a bit so i thought I'd check in. I replaced that nagging dif seal last weekend. i bought a $10 seal puller tool from Cdn. Tire and it worked like a charm. We went out for a little mini-adventure and picnic on Sunday. The weather was fantastic, and the views from the overlook over our Okanagan lake are pretty good I think.

My Scepter gas and water can order came in the other day too (It is satisfying to purchase something that is still stamped "Made In Canada"). I still need to devise a rack to carry them around this year (even temporary like). If nothing else I can take the lid off my stock rooftop wetbox and strap them into the cargo rack there, for the time being.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I guess I should do a better job of keeping up to date.

This is how she is sitting now, all ready for adventure.

I completed the dual battery setup, with the T-Max controller and a pair of Deka Intimidators. I also made up a portable solar system with two separate 75 watt panels connected to a 30amp Coleman controller in the Xterra. (I can use one or both panels, and a single panel seemed to work just fine on our last 3 day adventure)
I installed a couple led strip lights into the rear hatch, so light up my camp kitchen area. I finally stopped procrastinating and bought a full size 285 spare and found that it does indeed stuff up underneath just fine.
While a rear bumper with tire and gas can carriers is on my wish list, it's out of the budget for this year. So I bought a $45 rear cargo rack from Princess Auto and messed with it a bit and bolted on top of the wet box. It allows me to stow my two fuel cans, one water can, chainsaw, and tote with some recovery supplies, chainsaw fuel, air compressor, etc in it.
I went out and bought a 10" tablet, loaded Backwoods Navigator onto it (along with some free on-road mapping software), and mounted it to a holder that slips into the CD slot in the stereo. It stayed put through some semi-rigorous off-roading last weekend, and provided useful to help navigate us in the bushes.
After a couple multi-day trips, we seem to be working on "perfecting" our packing and camp setup. The Wife and I have traveled thousands of miles on motorbikes, so if anything it has taught us to try to be "frugal" when it comes to packing stuff. The one mandatory creature comfort item my wife demanded was a porta-potti, so it rides along in the back with us.
We also picked up a 1" memory foam topper after our first weekend adventure and it really takes the edge of the super firm mattress in the CVT.

One final thing, I really need to commend my Dometic CF-50 fridge. My wife's Scottish sensibilities were a little apprehensive about me spending north of $900Cdn on a portable fridge, but it has to be the single best investment I have ever made. I would recommend that anyone who is considering vehicle based multi-day travel to purchase a portable fridge. It was 30*+ Celsius this past weekend for the duration of our adventure and my beer was waiting for me frosty and ice cold every evening. No spoiled food, no warm soggy stuff, no melted ice all over the place. Just pure brilliant cold food and chilled beverages.

We depart on June 30th for our 2 1/2 week adventure down to Colorado and back, and we both cannot wait for the longer adventure to begin.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I picked up a Cobra 19 Dx IV CB radio and a magnetic mount antenna (for now) for our upcoming Colorado bound trip. I'll have to find somewhere to mount the CB on Saturday, then I can relive my youth while playing Smokey and the Bandit all by myself in the drivers seat.

I also mounted some led strip lights into the bottom inside edge of the hatch, and wired them up to the aux. battery. They seem to provide a ton of light down into my "camp kitchen" area in the dark.

We are down to T-one week to departure for our road trip to Colorado. We will be stopping in Montana to hook up with some good friends, then heading toward Ouray to take in the Alpine loop and marvel at the mountains, before heading east to Colorado Springs to have out with 13 of our bestest friends in a rented house for a week. Take in some sights, hit some off road trails, and catch up on good times with folks that we hardly get to see enough. After the week is through my Wife and I are going to take a week to meander home. Our only predetermined stop will be to see The Devil's Tower, as it has been our bucket list for decades. The Xterra is heading in to the shop for a tuneup, and then will be primed and ready for adventure.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I really need to take the time to sit down and post up some pictures of our summer road trip / adventure. I unfortunately have to get back to work here this Friday afternoon, but I'll leave a little teaser.
In a nutshell, we covered 6000km in two weeks, we headed out from home here in BC, hooked up with some good friends in Montana, then drove south through Idaho and Utah and into Colorado. We headed to Ouray, drove the Mineral Creek trail up to and over Engineer Pass, then headed east to Colorado Springs to spend 5 days chilling out with friends in a rental house. From there, the Wife and I headed north from Colorado, into Wyoming, over into South Dakota, back into Wyoming, then up into Montana and home to BC via Glacier Nat'l Park. It was an amazing road trip. We covered a lot of pavement and had some serious off road fun too.

A quick shot of the dirty Miss X on Mineral Creek trail. Best couple days of offroading I've had in my life so far.

Camped out up Mineral Creek trail, ready to drive Engineer Pass first thing the next morning.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

It's amazing how life gets in the way and I forget all about this build thread. I'll try to come back to update on things I've done to Miss X over the past year when can, but for now here's a hint as to what is in her future.

A set of V8 Pathfinder M205 axles that arrived this morning from Rock Auto. These are the axles you require if you want to replace your stock R180 front differential with the stronger M205 Titan front differential while keeping the same stock track width (not going full Titan suspension long arm swap) They can very difficult to locate it seems, so I made sure to grab there from Rock Auto (at a cost of $200Cdn for the pair) as soon as they popped up on my radar.
The next step is to locate a donor M205 from a Titan, get it re-geared to either 3.73 or 4.10 (haven't decided yet), and get the rear re-geared too. My rear e-locker is shot so I have to decide if I should replace it with another or suck it up and go ARB in the rear. The seemingly lack of gear shops in my local area may determine my next step.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Haven't checked your thread in a while, great updates!

Good idea going with the M205, and great find on the V8 pathfinder axles. It'll definitely toughen up the front end. Wish I had the time/ambition to do the same.

By the way, check out the most recent "Live, Work, Wander" video on their website. It covers the Fortune Creek run we did back in the late Summer, and we're both prominately featured, hah.

Reactions: trikebubble

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Haven't checked your thread in a while, great updates!

Good idea going with the M205, and great find on the V8 pathfinder axles. It'll definitely toughen up the front end. Wish I had the time/ambition to do the same.

By the way, check out the most recent "Live, Work, Wander" video on their website. It covers the Fortune Creek run we did back in the late Summer, and we're both prominately featured, hah.
Yeah, we watched the video last night. Brought back some great memories, can't wait for the NW run this August.

Sent from the Mountains

Armyx

Rank V

Enthusiast III

McAlester Ok
First Name
James
Last Name
Schulz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5ZEV