First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Haynes
Ham/GMRS Callsign
kj6vzq
Service Branch
Marine Corps, TCCC
So this project started about two years ago and like most of my projects has consumed me.

The primary goal was to have a rock solid reliable rock crawling capable overland rig that could fit my wife, gear, and dogs. I wanted an automatic transmission, mild engine, roll cage and air conditioning. Some of what I did was overkill, but I prefer to be prepared.

The secondary goal was to be useful. I like being useful and able to help other that are in need. To meet that need I planned on including things like:
  • Air Compressor and CO2 Tank
  • MaxTrax
  • Kinetic Rops of various sizes
  • Winch
  • Hi-Lift Jack
  • Full Med Kit
  • Onboard Welder
  • Running hot water (that's mostly for me)
This is is how the K5 looked on day 1.
IMG_3883.JPG
Daisy was not pretty but she had potential.

The first thing we did was pull the engine and trans and strip her down.
IMG_4285.JPGIMG_4289.JPGIMG_4291.JPG
Then came the cleanup and patchwork.
IMG_4360.JPGIMG_4404.JPG
Pulled gas tank. I do not have pictures but the tank was replaced and a phantom internal fuel pump with return line was installed.
IMG_4536.JPG
Stripped out the interior in preparation for Lizzard skinning everything.
IMG_4028.JPG
Lizard skin day.
IMG_6264.JPGIMG_4028.JPGIMG_1329.JPGIMG_1328.JPGIMG_1312.JPGIMG_1313.JPGIMG_1316.JPGIMG_1317.JPG
Black Lizard skin is not very black. Went back and put on a coat of flat black afterward.

IMG_6323.JPG
Then we built a roll cage.
IMG_4122.JPGIMG_5172.JPGIMG_5124.JPGIMG_4999.JPGIMG_4989.JPGIMG_1322.JPGIMG_1320.JPG
Next put in the ORD NP205 Transfer case, 700R4 transmission, and GM performance crate engine.
IMG_4663.JPGIMG_4664.JPGIMG_4208.JPGIMG_4847.JPG

During this project, I made many mistakes. For instance, I should have gone with an LS Engine. The shop that was helping me at the time talked me out of it. Aside from picking the wrong engine I also picked a lemon. That motor was not built properly by Chevy. My Blazer as of 6/14/2017 is at a Chevy service center right now and has been for the last 2 weeks. I could not make the engine run right. They can not make the engine run right. The only thing stopping me from putting an LS engine in right now is that my Blazer is still with the dealer while they test spark plug wires and stare at the carburetor. To be fair the service center is trying hard and is just in a bad spot. They have not worked on a carburated engine in years. I am lucky the engine has a 2-year warranty.

Ok back to the build.

Next, we yanked the axles and installed the new WFO Dana 60 and 14 bold with Detroit Truetrac and ORD Leaf springs. Still, wonder if I should have gone with a Detroit or ARB locker in the rear. Time will tell.
IMG_4841.JPGIMG_4805.JPGIMG_4668.JPG
So far I am not impressed the ORD leaf springs. Daisy sits with a noticeable lean to the driver's side.
IMG_1932.JPG I am working with ORD to sort this out but I am tired of dealing with it at this point. Might just bite the bullet and go with Deavers.

My picture collection took a hit and I no not have anything for installing the front clip, hydroboost brakes or wiring but here are the end results though.
IMG_1533.JPGIMG_1536.JPGIMG_1531.JPGIMG_1417.JPGIMG_1425.JPGIMG_1539 (1).JPG
We then front bumper, rear dual swing out bumper for tire and Jerry cans, rock sliders, and installed the winch. Oh, and she was painted Olive Drab Green to match my CJ7...except the painter could never quite get the color the same.
IMG_1941.JPGIMG_1944.JPGJeep and Smoker.JPG

So I made a few planning mistakes that I will mention in case anyone looses their minds and wants to make a K5 Overlanding Rock Crawler.
  • I should have boxed in the frame. It was only a few hundred in material and about 2 days worth of work.
  • Go with an LS Engine the first time.
  • You probably do not need as much roll cage as I have.
  • I spent a bunch of time and money restoring my hardtop and I am pretty sure I am now going to ditch it and go with a soft top. PS Totally redone 1973 hardtop with sliding windows for sale. :)
  • Sit down with someone with experience and plan your build out based on what you want to do.
So where is the built at now? I am working out two problems.
  • My brand new Chevy Performance Turn Key engine idles but produced no power and backfires out the carb even though it's timed correctly. For those curious, I did have a Howell fuel injection on the engine but Chevy will only troubleshoot what they sold me so the carb went back on. I think the problem is that when they built the engine they put the cam in wrong and it's retarded one tooth. Either that or there is a bad lifter or spring. Either way, when I get the engine back it is being pulled out and it is going into my CJ7. I have a new 6.0 LQ9 ready to drop in.
  • Blazer has a 3" lean to the driver's side. I think the rear driver's leaf spring is bad. When I get the Blazer back I have to switch the drivers and passengers springs to see if the problem follows the springs or now.
Once I work out those two problems my list of things to do look like this.
  • Install LQ9 Engine
  • Install Premier Power Welder and 180 amp alternator
  • Install hot water heat exchanger and plumb in a hot shower. My plan is to build out a arm that swings out from the roll cage with a shower head on it.
  • Install Soft Top and explain to wife why we have two tops for Blazer
  • Mount Hi-Lift jack and Maxtrax to outside of roll cage, but inside of the soft top. In my head, this works out great. We will see.
  • Mount new 37" Toyo OpenCountry Mud Terrains on Raceline beadlocks.
Thanks for reading and I hope to see you all on the trails.

Edit: Forgot to mention a few things that are already installed.
  • Ham Radio
  • CB Radio
  • Multiple fire extinguishers
  • MED Kit
  • Air Conditioning
  • Gas Tank Skid Plate
  • Pure sine wave power inverter
  • IPad and mount for Topo Maps
I'm sure I think of a few dozen other things.

Jeff

Last edited:

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dude.

This looks phenomenal. When I see something like this I am reminded that my little "build" isn't actually a build [emoji24].

Hope you get the engine and leaf spring issues sorted soon so you can get out there and enjoy this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwhaynes

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitewright, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Haynes
Ham/GMRS Callsign
kj6vzq
Service Branch
Marine Corps, TCCC
Slight update. Chevy Service Center called. They are about to give up and are going to discuss options with the dealer's owner tomorrow. I am not sure what those options will be but I am flexible. I will accept fixing the engine, sending me a new engine or giving me an engine credit. I will be interesting to see what they come up with. At this point, my main goal is to get Blazer back and not loose any more money on that engine. I have a new LQ9 6.0 engine ready to drop in from Turnkey Engine Supply. I want to get this part of the project over with so I can start doing the little fun stuff.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'm sure you will be very happy with this rig when it's finished. I had a K5 blazer as a kid. Does yours have the NP205 transfer case? With your choice of axles, your rig will be tuff as ****

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Awesome rig and build! It's hard to beat style and strength of old iron heavy chevys.

I love my 70 K20 Burb!

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Slight update. Chevy Service Center called. They are about to give up and are going to discuss options with the dealer's owner tomorrow. I am not sure what those options will be but I am flexible. I will accept fixing the engine, sending me a new engine or giving me an engine credit. I will be interesting to see what they come up with. At this point, my main goal is to get Blazer back and not loose any more money on that engine. I have a new LQ9 6.0 engine ready to drop in from Turnkey Engine Supply. I want to get this part of the project over with so I can start doing the little fun stuff.
I'm curious... what did they offer you to make things right?

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban

Off The Hardball

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Dallas, Texas
Member #

AWESOME looking rig so far! I've always wanted a K5 (Chevy guy). I was torn between getting a Jeep or a truck...thanks for bringing the K5 back into the picture haha. I am definitely following this build!

Zech Baker

Rank I

Contributor III

Nice truck.

I'm slowly build my 73 K5 up and wanted to use lizard skin inside with no carpet does your lizard skin hold up to to the abuse or would you recommend a good bed liner or undercoat top layer. And are you still thinking about selling your top.