The Brown Beast '84 Toyota FJ60

• HTML tutorial

Kluberto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Seattle, WA
Member #

Ya, I looked for a long time and the guy ended up keeping as well but had a change of thought after a few months. I think the last 2 years they've doubled in price. Definitely hard finding one without rust or buttload of miles . Nothing wrong with a tacoma though ;)

Reactions: 000

Kluberto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Seattle, WA
Member #

Anyone have a magic formula on the bungees to pull material in when storing the tent? Ive tried multiple ways but still get the fabric spillage...

Kluberto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Seattle, WA
Member #

Looking for any suggestions about a Hi lift mount? was thinking on the roof rack but that is so damn heavy im not too keen on that...

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I'm sure there is a way, trying to redistribute. Enough weight back there already :P
I’ve seen hi lift brackets that clamp on round tubes, it’d probably work for your bumper without having to weld brackets to it. Or weld brackets to it... I’ve also seen some guys disassemble their hi lifts and store them inside, but it depends on how much you use it if it’d be a good idea. Make a bracket to mount it inside the side of the cargo area at an angle from the tailgate tilted towards the from of the truck? I had a friend mount his this way on the roll cage in his 4Runner and it also kept it from getting trashed in the weather and from getting swiped.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I'm sure there is a way, trying to redistribute. Enough weight back there already :P
Wonder if you could rig it up to the front bumper? Not sure on the available space, but that would help with the weight distribution. Or you could be like the JK guys and mount it to your hood :tearsofjoy:
I don't have a hi-lift, but if I did, i'd just mount it to my roof basket. The rock rails I'm getting will allow easier access to it. Maybe that's the key. Slap some rock sliders on and rig it up on the roof? Then you'd have a step to not have to lift it over your head too much? I personally use a trolley jack but would consider a bottle jack as well. Safer IMHO. But a Hi-lift is versatile minus the safety issues...

Kluberto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Seattle, WA
Member #

I think it may just sit in the cargo area for a home, or across the backseat floor area. Thanks for all the input!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

If you mount your Hilift jack outside on your truck, use a lock of some kind. I have had Two taken from me! Told my self that I would use a nice bike cable lock, this last time. Did not and now someone has a nice Hilift jack, complements of me ! Benz.

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

I recently saw a cool mod someone did for a hi-lift inside the rear cargo area of the cab. They welded two threaded stand-offs into the metal on the roof and thru the headliner and then mounted the jack with two wing nuts. It looked really clean and didn't take up much room at all. I would think this is wide enough for that on the inside of the cab? Beautiful rig!!

Kluberto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Seattle, WA
Member #

Finally got annoyed with my starting woes and threw on a new starter, with all the gremlins out there was hoping that was the case and she fired up 2nd crank :)

Last edited:

Tex68w

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Victoria, Texas
Member #

Beautiful rig! I was born in 1984 and I've always wanted an '84 FJ-60 Landcruiser in what I coined "Doo-Doo Brown" aka DDB. Needless to say, I am super jealous. Good luck with the build, I'll certainly keep up with the progress.

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
Looks awesome, I love the FJ 60/62 Land Cruisers.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

OP, Looks like a great setup! It has been good reading and watching what you have done to your Land Cruiser. Best part is seeing you use it too! Hope to run into you out on a trail some day! Benz.

Reactions: Kluberto