• HTML tutorial

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

PADRE ISLAND NATIONAL SEASHORE RUN

In case anyone is interested - there is a multi club group heading for Padre Island National Seashore (PINS) on April 22-24. Doesn't mater what you drive or your experience level. We'll most likely be camping at the end of the island so you will need to bring everything for a multi day trip (food, fuel, ice). There are no nearby stores and cell coverage is spotty to non-existent. Beach conditions vary from day to day so we don't know how long it will take to reach the end. Packed sand could be a 2 hour drive and thick, deep sand a 5 trip from the end of the pavement. (Speed limit on the beach is technically 15mph) Either way, be prepared for fun, campfires, fishing and a sky full of stars.

Last year our group camped at around the 35 mile marker.
Family Friendly, Bring the kids, dogs, whatever.

My wife and I will be leaving from Bastrop, TX the morning of April 22.
Not sure of the exact time, but I think we could set up a meet at the Buck-ees on I-35 to caravan down to the island.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I suspect a Subaru should make it down the beach, at least during low tide. I would NOT try to get a RWD truck down the beach, unless you have someone who's willing to use tow straps to get you back. :)

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
We go down there about once a year, though this year it looks like it might not be in the cards. Something I havent seen mentioned is WIND. The last two trips we took the wind was blowing in excess of 30 knots most of the time we were there. Its a contingency to prepare for, without a doubt. My wife for one, is not a fan of sand blasted skin for three days.

We love the remoteness, the lack of anyone except other serious campers, and the presence of legitimate law enforcement in an area that can be sketchy otherwise. I'll update this thread with pics shortly.

Last edited:

jrbechthold

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Little Elm, Texas
Member #

Man, I just stumbled on this thread, and I am very interested! Looks like an awesome time. I will definitely have to give it a try soon.