Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'll make an open invite for anyone that is interested. Matagorda trips are usually a few days of hard fishing.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

By the way. You can use the member map to shotgun a private message to everyone in the area you have visible on the map. pretty handy for making sure everyone sees that there is a meetup.

Reactions: jrbechthold

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Ex Houstonian here, now I'm in between D & FW.
I want to get back down that way and do the old hwy 87. I hear it's a blast.

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
From Kingwood area, I am currently working on roughly a 3-day overland map route that entails driving on as much of the accessible Texas beaches as possible from Port Arthur (hwy 87) and ending at the Port Mansfield cut at PINS. Trying to do this sometime in May. Trying to limit out and back areas to a minimum although I did add a stretch along East Matagorda.

After old hwy 87 the route will go through thru Bolivar, stopping in Galveston for a Pelican Island off-road "detour" before continuing along the accessible Galveston beaches starting near Jamaica beach and then over the San Luis to Surfside. The route will hop off the beaches for a bit to reach Matagorda and then head for an out and back along East Matagorda Bay. Maybe a camp at the end of that area along East Matagorda Bay?

Then out back through towns of Matagorda, Palacios, Port Lavaca, Aransas Pass, then ferry across at Port Aransas to hit the beach again. From there its a drive down to end of PINS for an overnighter and some fishing. Route back would be road. An additional 1-2 days could probably be added to include a drive around and up SPI as well. Any experience or input on times from those who have driven the PINS or along East Matagorda Bay would be helpful and appreciated. Thoughts? Anyone interested?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

There's a guy on here that knows matagorda but from my two trips, that is some fluffy sand. Also keep an eye on the tides at night. Good surf fishing.

Mustang island will slow you down with the scenery since it is capped by college towns. Got a ling/cobia last spring and there are sometimes reds, trout and sting rays. If you want some good bait, toss some little pieces of shrimp on a small hook for croaker, Lady fish and piggy perch in that first gut and on top if the first sand bar. It should only take 30 seconds. Other than that, it can be hard fishing.
Be prepared for a small detour around mustang island state park, they have their patch of sand fenced off starting at a mid island jetty.

If you want to stop for some blue crab, packery channel is loaded with them. Use a durable bait like squid and reel up slowly but firmly when the rod tip is tapping. Watch the minimum carapace size. They aren't usually the monsters you find on the other end of the island.

Can't help on PINS other than Bob Hall pier is known for good fishing. I think I got 4 different species of shark last time.

Don't forget to take a few tire plug kits.

Reactions: ZetRocks

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
@Longshot270 wow! Thanks for the fishing and crabbing information, and also the fluffy sand. I will certainly look into the info you provided. Might even have to extend the trip a bit to get some additional fishing in.

@TXpedition I agree, it should be a fun trip. And yes, you're correct it does end at Surfside so Id have to hop on some road to reach East Matagorda, and then again to go around to reach PINS past Port Aransas. It would be a cool thing if we had access to the entire Texas coast. One can dream.