louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
if youre running I-10, there isnt much for camping, but there are rest areas. we just did a trip out west a couple months ago and we took I-10 to just outside Fort Stockton and there is a nice rest area there with restrooms and an attendant on duty. we spent the night there and then went a little more west and then took 54 north at Van Horn and went thru the Guadalupe Mts and Carlsbad Caverns and worked our way to Santa Fe. There are several places to pull over along I-10 that just have a trash barrel, but really not any camping. There is a campground at Sonora Caverns that's a little ways off the interstate.
Heres a link. The caverns are cool to tour if you like caverns....

Ozona is also right on the interstate and has a little to offer and is closer, but texas overall is pretty slim pickings...

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Never2Late

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Abrams
Member #

Thanks for the info. I drove that stretch of I-10 years ago when working in Arizona. And I did just that. Slept at rest areas. But I was looking at getting off I-10 at Houston and start making my way north west towards Abilene to catch I-20. Then on to Lubbock. I see there are a few places on that route but never been through there before.

Reactions: Coreymol

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Thanks for the info. I drove that stretch of I-10 years ago when working in Arizona. And I did just that. Slept at rest areas. But I was looking at getting off I-10 at Houston and start making my way north west towards Abilene to catch I-20. Then on to Lubbock. I see there are a few places on that route but never been through there before.
This is the route we take to Co. Not much for camping this way either. There are a few campgrounds but nothing I would stay at other than to get some sleep for the night.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Agree with the lack of roadside camping in TX. My first question would be, what is you sleeping setup? If you really had to, you could stop overnight in a WalMart parking lot. However, a ground tent won't be very good in that situation. We usually look for State parks and the like, as some have free camping for non-hookups areas. When going north, we like Lake Meredith. We also use this these apps: FreeRoam & National Park Trail Guide as well as this site: www.campendium.com

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Texas is almost toally lacking in anything resembling public vehicle accessible camp gounds. You'll find a few small National Forests in East Texas and a few small patches of BLM land in far west Texas.

If you're looking for dispersed camping I suggest either designing a route that bypasses Texas entirely or power though as fast as you can to get to NM which is has more than one sizeable easily accessible National Forest.

There's a reason I don't "overland" in Texas. Because overlanding here is being trapped between two barbed wire fences as you cross the state on county and farm roads.

Never2Late

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Abrams
Member #

This is the route we take to Co. Not much for camping this way either. There are a few campgrounds but nothing I would stay at other than to get some sleep for the night.
I think I’m gonna change my route and move up to I-20 through Dallas. On the west side of Fort Worth there is the LBJ grasslands that you can disperse camp in. It’s about at the halfway mark to Santa Fe.

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

Thanks grubworm for the above information on I-10 rest stops/camping loacations. That is helpful.

Are you (or anyone else) aware of dispersed campgrounds in the Houston, San Antonio and Austin areas? Any information or resouirce links would be appreciated.

Starting early October, I will driving from Pennsylvania to Arizona, making a prolonged stop in Texas.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Thanks grubworm for the above information on I-10 rest stops/camping loacations. That is helpful.

Are you (or anyone else) aware of dispersed campgrounds in the Houston, San Antonio and Austin areas? Any information or resouirce links would be appreciated.

Starting early October, I will driving from Pennsylvania to Arizona, making a prolonged stop in Texas.
Dispersed camping is something you just won't find a lot of in Texas. Especially around those cities unless you want to setup camp in a homeless camp.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

TPWD has an app where you can either see images of the parks in alphabetical order or a map if you want to search by route and proximity.

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

Kyle, Texas, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

The Hipcamp app has some options for dispersed camping on private property at a pretty low cost. Not ideal but it's an option. There are some pretty sweet locations along rivers outside of Austin that you can stay at for like $10 a night. Otherwise it's state parks.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
Hey all! A lot of great info and recommendations here. Not a lot of places int eh San Antonio area (That is where I live, just outside of it) but there are some state parks you can camp but not really dispersed or anywhere in Texas really....
BUT what I really came here to say is please as you find these places add them to the OB1 app! This way, at least locally, or Texas wide, we can start creating points in the app and making it more useful to us, new members, and also visitors to our great country....
Post your reviews and tips on the map to help others out. The OB1 app has a lot of great points already added but if we all work together and add points as we find them or visit them with solid reviews..... not just camp site I try to add as much info as I can. Just a thought and if you need help reach out, i really want to help the app grow and become even more useful for us Texans to explore and adventure.