Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I thought it was interesting but ATK missed the mark I think. I would be surprised if most people were cross shopping an Igloo and Yeti (or other top line cooler). For me the surprise would be a low priced cooler that can run with the high dollar choices so we can make an informed economic choice. There are a ton of "ice chest challenges" out there on the internet and some are actually quite entertaining. I find the real world rarely matches the test environment anyway-I rarely fill a 60 qt cooler 95% with ice and put 5 cans of something in it when I am camping so the X days cold is pretty useless statistic. I think all of the coolers recommend pre-chilling cooler and contents and using at least 50% of the cooler volume for ice. I use some expensive ones and some less expensive Coleman Extreme and there are pro and con about each one.
I don't even use ice.
I have some of those gel filled ice packs that last WAY longer than frozen water.
My concern with those has always been that they become extra baggage once they do melt. Have you ever used the Arctic Ice type freezer packs in conjunction with ice and, if so, do they extend the ice time?

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

My concern with those has always been that they become extra baggage once they do melt. Have you ever used the Arctic Ice type freezer packs in conjunction with ice and, if so, do they extend the ice time?
I tend to camp a couple of days, then Airbnb or hotel.. then back camping. I can refreeze the packs.