louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Do you know a place named Pyote or Wink ?
The only Bar in Terlingua is a mysterious place built underground. A couple of years ago the freaky owner was murdered by his best friend. Everyone living there is weird and just where they should stay.
Yeah, my mom grew up in Kermit, close to Wink. They have a couple weird sink holes out there.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yeah, my mom grew up in Kermit, close to Wink. They have a couple weird sink holes out there.
Yes and a meteorite site too. The reason I asked was because I was wondering if you can remember an old air force base that was in Pyote that had miles and miles of ww2 abandoned aircraft stored there up until the late 60's early 70's. It was amazing to see. Now there is nothing left of the base, all the buildings were hauled off, even the hangers.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The only Bar in Terlingua is a mysterious place built underground. A couple of years ago the freaky owner was murdered by his best friend. Everyone living there is weird and just where they should stay.
12" inches of water a year is a lot Road. I hardly ever get that much in a good year. You definitely have that place pegged. I'd rather buy the land east of Sierra Blanca about 50 miles off I- 20 or the land between Van Horn and Valentine on the Mexican border of the Rio Grande. Another place is Dell City off hwy 62 near salt flats and Guadalupe peak.
Awesome pictures as usual, you really have an eye for beauty. Being a desert lover, I think the Milky way-Yucca cactus photo is the best I've ever seen anywhere. Love to have about a 3'x3' picture on my wall ! Thanks for sharing with us'ens !
- The Kiva is far from the only bar there, Jim. It's closer to Study Butte than Terlingua. There have been several other bars around there for as long as I've been going there, which is about as long as some of the members here have been alive. People get murdered at bars everywhere. When it happens in the city it hardly makes the news. When it happens in Terlingua and they make it a big part of a reality show exaggerating and sensationalizing pretty much everything about the area, everyone thinks it's the fooking wild west.

- As for you saying "everyone" there is weird and just where they should stay, I'm sure the Terlingua folks would agree with you, if it helps keeps narrow-minded general-thinking folks prone to stereotyping away. It's getting to the point it's like 42nd st in NYC, where most of the people who are weird are the ones from away all pointing at each other, while all the real locals laugh at the weird tourists. That fooked up reality show has brought more oddballs and weirdos to the area than ever lived there before.

Personally, I feel more at home around the general Terlingua-Study Butte-BIBE-Brewster/Presidio/Terrell County area than I do pretty much anywhere else.

- Rainfall: Actually, Mimbres is said to get another half as much annual rainfall as Terlingua, at 17"/year. I looked up several locales around there when looking at land near Gila. US National average is almost two and half times as much as Terlingua gets, so yeah, 12" would be hard for most folks to deal with. Especially when it all comes in a matter of weeks, and then next to nothing 'til next year's monsoon season.

I know and have explored that whole area in depth, from El Paso down through the Ft Hancock / Quitman and as close as I could get to the Rio all the way down and around the Bend and back up to Sanderson and Langtry. I'm confident if there's a piece of land there I'm supposed to be on for any length of time, it'll happen when it's supposed to. Probably when I die and my bones get picked clean or my ashes get scattered.

- Milky Way Over Giant Yuccas: Thanks for the compliment, Jim. Much appreciated. It's available as a print, though is not square. It's more of a 24x36 and would be expensive at that size. If you're serious, DM me or send an email through my site. This is someone else's thread.

~ Road

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

You on the ranch land between the two parks? I've done a ton of research on, and wandering properties there. Had one great 40 acre spot with a nice varied topography bought right out from under me.
Spent sixteen weeks straight out there last winter/spring and am headed back out there before too long.

I'm envious you found a spot to purchase! Some of that area is hard, as far as security and leaving even locked containers if gone for awhile.

I know the whole Big Bend area quite well, if you'd ever like to meet up and/or camp together.

Made these images out there last trip:

View attachment 133380

View attachment 133379

Road

the wife is an artist and LOVES your pics. you got some skills!!!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Thanks @grubworm. You can see more on my site or in the photography threads here.
VERY cool! Definitely need to meet up one day. If you are ever in the south Louisiana swamps, you should hit me up,. Got a few acres you can set up on and go do some swamp tours in my boat. Show me a few camera tricks and I'll show you how to turn a cypress bowl on a lathe. :grinning:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

VERY cool! Definitely need to meet up one day. If you are ever in the south Louisiana swamps, you should hit me up,. Got a few acres you can set up on and go do some swamp tours in my boat. Show me a few camera tricks and I'll show you how to turn a cypress bowl on a lathe. :grinning:
Awesome, @grubworm - sounds like a plan. I appreciate the invitation to hang out and would be happy to trade some photography tips. I posted an image from the Atchafalaya Spillway Levee around Charenton in the photography thread here and I think some others in the canoe/kayak thread I started long time ago, that you commented in.

Hoping to head down through south of I-10 end of this month or soon after, on my way back out to the borderlands and will give you a heads up.

@Texaschwag - if you'd like to meet up when I'm out there, either down Terlingua way or up around DFW, let me know. I'd love to see your property and have an idea or two you might be interested in.

I'm also looking for a spot or two where I can set up my rig (in the image below) to use as basecamp to teach a few folks about night sky and landscape photography, if you're interested in that.

roaddude_chisospano-frmwestendent-8231-1350.jpg

roaddude_milkyway-over-marathonrv-8570-900.jpeg

roaddude_milkyway-bibeLM-8925-900.jpg

~ Road

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Looks like you got yourself a nice place, we have land in Sanderson that overlooks a dry creek bed. Its always a good stopping point before heading into Big Bend area.

Sanderson, Cactus Capital of Texas.

I spend a fair bit of time around Sanderson and have friends who re-did the Desert Air Motel there. Great spot to stop on your way into the Bend from the east or on your way back out. Good bat colony there in town too, I hope to get some flight photos of with some new stop-action gear.

Sanderson-cactuscapital_5687-900.jpg

LostHuskertx

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Antonio area
First Name
Mark
Last Name
M
Member #

Sanderson, Cactus Capital of Texas.

I spend a fair bit of time around Sanderson and have friends who re-did the Desert Air Motel there. Great spot to stop on your way into the Bend from the east or on your way back out. Good bat colony there in town too, I hope to get some flight photos of with some new stop-action gear.

View attachment 136086

I remember seeing that as we have driven through town, not to highjack the OP's thread but here is a pic from the cabin.

B8EixnwPSmqSSPKi7AXI4A.jpg

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

La Kiva. Great spot that has now been bought by a British couple (who knew the original owner from Day 1 it opened) who were crushing it when I was there in November. Here is the story of the original owner who was killed at the bar late one night by a local rafting guide.

I have a friend who lives down there for about 3-4 months out of the year. he has +/- 1,500 acres NE of town that abut the eastern side of Big Bend NP. We dropped into La Kiva for a few drinks one evening. It was so busy that a bartender from another local watering hole jumped in behind the bar to help out. Tourism is only really Nov-March. The night we were there, the OG Artis The Spoonman (made famous from the Soundgarden song) was performing. I remember seeing him at the Kingdome as a kid in Seattle on the way into Seahawks games. I was blown away to see him there 35 years later.

Terlingua is amazing. My friend has a self made catchment system, solar but just added a permanent generator to run his shop equipment easier. He is a tattoo artist/painter/sculptor who lives in Louisiana when he is not there.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

12" inches of water a year is a lot Road. I hardly ever get that much in a good year. You definitely have that place pegged. I'd rather buy the land east of Sierra Blanca about 50 miles off I- 20 or the land between Van Horn and Valentine on the Mexican border of the Rio Grande. Another place is Dell City off hwy 62 near salt flats and Guadalupe peak.
I'd prefer to be closer to Alpine personally. Higher elevation and BB NP is only 90 minutes away.