louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

Bought land site unseen and went for it. Zero disappointments!
AWESOME!! I grew up in west Texas and never got to the Big Bend area. Finally went there a week ago after having graduated and leaving there 35 yrs ago and was amazed. The night sky is worth the price of admission alone...

Reactions: Wcluck and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You on the ranch land between the two parks? I've done a ton of research on, and wandering properties there. Had one great 40 acre spot with a nice varied topography bought right out from under me.
Spent sixteen weeks straight out there last winter/spring and am headed back out there before too long.

I'm envious you found a spot to purchase! Some of that area is hard, as far as security and leaving even locked containers if gone for awhile.

I know the whole Big Bend area quite well, if you'd ever like to meet up and/or camp together.

Made these images out there last trip:

roaddude_nightsky-4367-900.jpeg

roaddude_nightsky-altudapicnic-7731-6x9.jpg

Road

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

You on the ranch land between the two parks? I've done a ton of research on, and wandering properties there. Had one great 40 acre spot with a nice varied topography bought right out from under me.
Spent sixteen weeks straight out there last winter/spring and am headed back out there before too long.

I'm envious you found a spot to purchase! Some of that area is hard, as far as security and leaving even locked containers if gone for awhile.

I know the whole Big Bend area quite well, if you'd ever like to meet up and/or camp together.

View attachment 133380

View attachment 133379

Road

AMAZING pics, Road. Humbling and awe-inspiring at the same time. You captured what words can't describe....

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

AMAZING pics, Road. Humbling and awe-inspiring at the same time. You captured what words can't describe....

Thanks @grubworm - I have a blast staying up all alone out there for hours through the night figuring best angles, settings, waiting. Pays off in the long run with some keepers. I'm doing some solo and very small group workshops if anyone is interested. DM or contact through my site. I don't want to bogart @Texaschwag 's thread.

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
B
Great pictures, Road and Texaschwag! Is the palm tree/ milky way one down by the hotsprings? I love how inexpensive the land is out in Terlingua. Been looking at some as well!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Great pictures, Road and Texaschwag! Is the palm tree/ milky way one down by the hotsprings? I love how inexpensive the land is out in Terlingua. Been looking at some as well!
Thanks. No, the Milky Way Over Giant Yuccas image was made outside the parks and north a ways.

The land is cheap there, you bet, but for a reason. There is only 12" a rain there a year, and most of it happens in two months, during which you really shouldn't be traveling most of the roads in Terlingua Ranch or run the risk of really pissing off those who live there. Virtually no chance of drilling for water there. You have to set up proper catchment for water, and that's not always as easy as it sounds. No electric or phone for most of it there.

I can go on at length. Most people who have land in the desert around Terlingua, thinking "Oh cool, this'll be great to build a shed on and use it as basecamp, or stay through the winter" etc end up not following through, or abandoning the idea, or get so tired of their stuff going missing, or of it just being so damned flat and boring where they are, or so freakin' hot and dry most of the year, or of dealing with the property owner's association terms, etc, they don't use it anywhere near as much as they thought they would. It's a large part of why you see so many run down abandoned places out there.

It's possible, but it's hard, and easy to run out of money before you get what you need done. A lot of the places for sale are resold every so many years.

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
B
Thanks. No, the Milky Way Over Giant Yuccas image was made outside the parks and north a ways.

The land is cheap there, you bet, but for a reason. There is only 12" a rain there a year, and most of it happens in two months, during which you really shouldn't be traveling most of the roads in Terlingua Ranch or run the risk of really pissing off those who live there. Virtually no chance of drilling for water there. You have to set up proper catchment for water, and that's not always as easy as it sounds. No electric or phone for most of it there.

I can go on at length. Most people who have land in the desert around Terlingua, thinking "Oh cool, this'll be great to build a shed on and use it as basecamp, or stay through the winter" etc end up not following through, or abandoning the idea, or get so tired of their stuff going missing, or of it just being so damned flat and boring where they are, or so freakin' hot and dry most of the year, or of dealing with the property owner's association terms, etc, they don't use it anywhere near as much as they thought they would. It's a large part of why you see so many run down abandoned places out there.

It's possible, but it's hard, and easy to run out of money before you get what you need done. A lot of the places for sale are resold every so many years.
Thanks for the fast response, and the information! I've been going out to the Big Bend area ( because I'm in love with her and afraid to tell her yet) for a while and am always seeing "for sale" signs everywhere. That makes a lot of sense. I think most people tend to fantasize about the idea but don't actually think about what it takes to have some sort of establishment in harsh desert conditions. Not to mention making sure you're communicating with your neighbors (locals), so that they don't just see you as someone coming in damaging the area.

Reactions: Road

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

Yep. I grew up in west Texas and that is why at 17 I joined the Navy and never went back. I remember one year the prickly pear cactus were turning yellow and dying. THAT'S brutal!
Unless a person shares DNA with a scorpion or lizard...probably ain't gonna like being there for very long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

I remember when they first started selling plots of land there in the 60's. It sold for $10 an acre and sold in 100 acre plots. $10 down and $10 a month interest free.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yep. I grew up in west Texas and that is why at 17 I joined the Navy and never went back. I remember one year the prickly pear cactus were turning yellow and dying. THAT'S brutal!
Unless a person shares DNA with a scorpion or lizard...probably ain't gonna like there for very long.
Do you know a place named Pyote or Wink ?
The only Bar in Terlingua is a mysterious place built underground. A couple of years ago the freaky owner was murdered by his best friend. Everyone living there is weird and just where they should stay.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

12" inches of water a year is a lot Road. I hardly ever get that much in a good year. You definitely have that place pegged. I'd rather buy the land east of Sierra Blanca about 50 miles off I- 20 or the land between Van Horn and Valentine on the Mexican border of the Rio Grande. Another place is Dell City off hwy 62 near salt flats and Guadalupe peak.

Reactions: G.C. Gordon

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

View attachment 133380

View attachment 133379

Road

Awesome pictures as usual, you really have an eye for beauty. Being a desert lover, I think the Milky way-Yucca cactus photo is the best I've ever seen anywhere. Love to have about a 3'x3' picture on my wall ! Thanks for sharing with us'ens !