Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

MY tent of choice is the Tentipi Safir 7. (pictured in my avatar). I can have it out of the bag and ready for sleeping in less than 5 minutes. A these tipi's come in a range of sizes and various materials (light to heavy use). Their website is tentipi.com if anyone is interested in checking out more detail.

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I have a Marmot Limestone 6 that has been great for me. I do try to sleep under the stars as much as possible but that's not always an option.

Best part about it? It's "unisex" so my wife can sleep in there too!!! lol

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I have a Marmot Limestone 6 that has been great for me. I do try to sleep under the stars as much as possible but that's not always an option.

Best part about it? It's "unisex" so my wife can sleep in there too!!! lol

Unisex eh? I'm now going to ask a question that I hope doesn't offend anyone. How long before we start seeing such things advertised as "suitable for transgender".?

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

Unisex eh? I'm now going to ask a question that I hope doesn't offend anyone. How long before we start seeing such things advertised as "suitable for transgender".?
Haha "Unisex" should work just fine for that anyway. Just my opinion, but I hope there is a time when we won't feel the need to label things in any way by sex. It discourages general interest, adventure and exploration. To imply that you're capable of using, wearing or experiencing something just because you have a penis, vagina, pengina or 7 layer burrito down there is utterly ridiculous and not anyones business but their own. Just like it doesn't matter what you drive, it shouldn't matter what you pee out of lol.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Haha "Unisex" should work just fine for that anyway. Just my opinion, but I hope there is a time when we won't feel the need to label things in any way by sex. It discourages general interest, adventure and exploration. To imply that you're capable of using, wearing or experiencing something just because you have a penis, vagina, pengina or 7 layer burrito down there is utterly ridiculous and not anyones business but their own. Just like it doesn't matter what you drive, it shouldn't matter what you pee out of lol.
that was more of an opinionated response than I expected. I like it

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

I ordered a cheap tent for an Overlanding trip I am planning. More of a learning experience and will make a bigger purchase down the road. Do wish I had the space for a RTT.

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

Yeah, it is a little bit more of a commitment. If ever I need to be overlanding for more than a couple of months, I will pull the trigger on one. Hopefully they will be more affordable then.

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I also have a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 8 man tent, but I only use it for when I am base camping for 3 or more nights because it takes a while to seup, for shorter trips I use an Alps Camp Creek 6 man tent, but i really don't like it ( floor is too thin, it doesn't like the wind, it is not free standing and 1 pole already broke on our 2nd trip) . Before the Alps tent, I had a Eureka Timberline 6 tent, I really liked this tent and it was easy to put up but it did not do well in the wind either so I got rid of it. I am still looking for a good easy to setup tent that can withstand so cal desert wind and we can stand up in it (my wife's requirement).

Jrnottarts

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lafayette, IN
Member #

The wife and I are looking for a fast-pitch tent. Currently looking at the Jet Tent (by Oztent $$$$), and the cheaper alternative the Coleman 6-man Instant Tent. Last summer we did the Trans America Trail with a Core 6-man pole tent. It worked well but we spent a lot of time every evening putting the damn thing together. We don't have room for any of the Oztent RV series, but we were hoping you all would have some recommendations for an easy pitch tent! Thoughts? As DMS1 said, the stand up inside is a requirement of the wife.

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

Bought a J10 this past June. Needed something to sleep in so I have a Rightline Truck Tent - http://amzn.to/2sBhhCL - the floorless design allows easy set up without removing gear from the truck bed - is water resistant with tape sealed seams, heavy duty straps with nylon buckles that won't damage the truck's finish. It works like a charm!

Jessy - July 4th weekend campout Wisconsin River - 7-2-2017.jpg

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
The wife and I are looking for a fast-pitch tent. Currently looking at the Jet Tent (by Oztent $$$$), and the cheaper alternative the Coleman 6-man Instant Tent. Last summer we did the Trans America Trail with a Core 6-man pole tent. It worked well but we spent a lot of time every evening putting the damn thing together. We don't have room for any of the Oztent RV series, but we were hoping you all would have some recommendations for an easy pitch tent! Thoughts? As DMS1 said, the stand up inside is a requirement of the wife.
Check out Springbar tents. Made in Utah for 40 years. http://www.kirkhams.com/deluxe-tents/campsite-3-springbar-tent/

Last edited:

TheRainMan

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Milton, GA
Member #

We use the Oztent RV5 and absolutely love it. As empty nesters, it's just my wife and I overlanding - but the RV5 takes up almost no more space than the smaller versions - and is so nice to have the extra room when the weather is bad and you're hibernating longer than you want to. Won't go back to a RTT - sets up quicker than most RTTs - and no longer have to crawl up and down my rig. Bulllet proof tent.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

the oztents look nice too. Question for you fellas about the canvas tents (my kodiak 10x10 is also cotton canvas)... how do you deal with the issue of packing wet? its an issue for me as i get rained on a lot.

Just this morning we woke up to a lot of dew. I was in the shade so we took it down and moved it over into the sun. still took awhile to dry out. if in a hurry, what do you do?

my tent is really stained on the roof because of all the tree droppings. doesn't seem to clean off. it holds up to hard use and i dont mind some dirty spots, but just trying to make it last. I think i already have 4 years on this tent and its still very water proof. i have only ever had to re-water proof it where i tried to clean spots off.

and here it is setup, this was a week ago... lots of tree droppings there too.