tent storage, fold and roll or stuff?

• HTML tutorial

HammPhoto

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bethel, CT
Member #

How does everyone store your tents long term? Fold and roll neatly inside the bag or just jam it in?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Stuff. Someone told me once to stuff instead of fold. His theory was that folding puts pressure on the same seams over and over and may cause a point of failure. No idea if there's any real research behind that theory, but there you go. I stuff because it's easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammPhoto

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bethel, CT
Member #

Stuff. Someone told me once to stuff instead of fold. His theory was that folding puts pressure on the same seams over and over and may cause a point of failure. No idea if there's any real research behind that theory, but there you go. I stuff because it's easier.
I heard the same thing for long term and use to tell people that when I worked at rei but is there any proof that it happen? I can't say I've ever seen a worn out tent from folds...

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I heard the same thing for long term and use to tell people that when I worked at rei but is there any proof that it happen? I can't say I've ever seen a worn out tent from folds...
@brianb2 @Jake Hamm

As a long time member of the Fold and Roll brigade, I've noticed that the fold lines on my 12-15 year old Coleman tent are starting to show signs of stress. Mostly in the floor, not so much the sides/top of the tent or on the rain fly. So far not a big issue for me but after 12+ years and likely more than 100 nights of camping she owes me nothing.

Boort

Reactions: sabjku and MDRoames

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

A tip I learned is that you fold it until it's the size of the tent poles, lay the poles on it and roll.
I haven't had a problem storing a tent since.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app
This usually works. If it doesn't, I do it anyway and stuff the extra at the top before pulling the drawcord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

When in the field and using tents on a daily basis, we just stuff the tent and flysheet into the bag.
Saves time and energy, and reduces frustration.

But when home after camping, I clean, dry and repair (if required) the tent, before folding it carefully into the bag.

I have never seen or experienced any signs, that folding has damaged or downgraded the quality of the tent in any way.

I personally believe a folded tent stores better, and is better for the tent in the long run....

Guess my background on keeping kit clean, dry, repaired, folded and ready for use takes over......

Reactions: Road and MDRoames

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Depends-
My Coleman popup is a twist and fold, no choice on stuffing.
But as Boort said, I'm a Fold and roll brigade member as well, matching the tentpole length cited by The Klumps, can get a nice tight roll and usually it fills out in the stuff sack after.. My 2004 Mtn HW Haven is showing zero signs of wear, well over 300 uses. Our 12x12 Alaskan cabin tent would kink windows if stuffed, and I don't want to wrestle that monster looking for the corners to set up.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

A combination of both. The foot print gets folded, the tent itself gets folded in 3rds and rolled and the rainfly gets stuffed. The reason is the footprint has it's own pouch and folding works best, the tent fits best when folded and rolled and the rainfly fills in the spaces in the main bag.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Folding comes from the old canvas tent days where the only way to pack one was to carefully fold. There is not enough give to stuff a canvas wall tent. Modern lightweight tents, on the other hand, are designed to be stuffed. And those with compression straps compress the most when stuffed.

Reactions: MDRoames

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

How does everyone store your tents long term? Fold and roll neatly inside the bag or just jam it in?

Fold and roll! Used to be back in the day you would just jam it in to not ruin the crease on the seams and damage them. How durable tents are made these days it's fine to fold and roll. Saves space, also make sure when you either get back from a trip or are putting it up for long storage to clean it and let it properly dry before stowage to prevent mildew.