Tennessee/Kentucky??

• HTML tutorial

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

Hello OB members! I'm looking for any members in the TN/KY area to go on adventures with! I have been wheeling and camping for most of my life and overlanding has just came as second nature. Now with my small family and 07 JKU, I'd like to do more outdoor things to disconnect from the 'screen' filled everyday life. Is there anything going on it the area? Meetups, trail rides, etc?

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Hi there!

I'm down near Spring Hill/Thompson's Station. I've always been involved in some type of off roading even if it was just getting to the duck pond. I have a young family as well that is just getting into overloading.

There seems to be a lot of people in this area surfacing. Look forward to some great meet ups.

Reactions: hjason.hay

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

That's awesome to see more people spending time overlanding. @OvelandLexusTN Are you running a Lexus GX 470? I am working on a 05 GX for a company that teaches driving courses for Special Operations. I had no idea how awesome they are till just a few months ago. Do you have any local trails that you like?

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

That's awesome to see more people spending time overlanding. @OvelandLexusTN Are you running a Lexus GX 470? I am working on a 05 GX for a company that teaches driving courses for Special Operations. I had no idea how awesome they are till just a few months ago. Do you have any local trails that you like?
Yep it's a 2009. I've really liked it so far other than the timing belt/water pump change. I'm trying to decide on tires/lift right now.

I really haven't gotten a chance to explore much but I did order the map for the Tennessee Dirt Devil. Have you done it?

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

Yep it's a 2009. I've really liked it so far other than the timing belt/water pump change. I'm trying to decide on tires/lift right now.

I really haven't gotten a chance to explore much but I did order the map for the Tennessee Dirt Devil. Have you done it?
Not many actual long, over night style exploring. I've spent some time out at Turkey Bay in KY Land Between the Lakes. It's a fun off-road park, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to check out the Kentucky Adventure Trail. It looks like a good 3-5 day trip with plenty of fuel stops. I'd also like to look at the Trans American Trail but from what I've been reading it's a lot of paved road until you get farther west. The Danial Boon National Forest is also a huge swath of land that looks like there is a bunch of exploring to do. it's on the boarder of KY and WV about 4+ hours from Nashville.

I'm going to look into the Tennessee Dirt Devil map...never heard of it.

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Not many actual long, over night style exploring. I've spent some time out at Turkey Bay in KY Land Between the Lakes. It's a fun off-road park, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to check out the Kentucky Adventure Trail. It looks like a good 3-5 day trip with plenty of fuel stops. I'd also like to look at the Trans American Trail but from what I've been reading it's a lot of paved road until you get farther west. The Danial Boon National Forest is also a huge swath of land that looks like there is a bunch of exploring to do. it's on the boarder of KY and WV about 4+ hours from Nashville.

I'm going to look into the Tennessee Dirt Devil map...never heard of it.
Isn't the Trans-American east to west only? So you'd have to do some pavement driving one way or the other. I'd still like to do some of it. I'm actually heading up to southern WV for a wedding in July and have been wanting to research how I might could make it interesting. I'll have to check out that National Forest.

The Tennessee Dirt Devel was originally a dual sport trail but it's pretty cool. It's mostly dirt roads and a fair amount of creek crossings.

trail.trudger

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Nashville
I'm also in middle TN and very interested in checking out the trails you mentioned.
Daniel Boone NF would be awesome! I've also done a little reading on the TAT and it's my understanding there are loops that run from TN > MS and visa versa.. http://www.transamtrail.com/lake-hill-motors-east-loop/
I would love to scope out new terrain, let me know if you want to put a ride together.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Tricklet03

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

I'm also in middle TN and very interested in checking out the trails you mentioned.
Daniel Boone NF would be awesome! I've also done a little reading on the TAT and it's my understanding there are loops that run from TN > MS and visa versa.. http://www.transamtrail.com/lake-hill-motors-east-loop/
I would love to scope out new terrain, let me know if you want to put a ride together.

I'd love to get a trail ride together this summer. May being the earliest. But the route we'd have to figure out.

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

Isn't the Trans-American east to west only? So you'd have to do some pavement driving one way or the other. I'd still like to do some of it. I'm actually heading up to southern WV for a wedding in July and have been wanting to research how I might could make it interesting. I'll have to check out that National Forest.

The Tennessee Dirt Devel was originally a dual sport trail but it's pretty cool. It's mostly dirt roads and a fair amount of creek crossings.
That's what I understand, TAT east to west. What kind of app are you guys using for tracking routes? I've seen Google Earth being used to make and follow routes. I watched the Videos on OB about it and it seems like a good way to do things. I'm just wondering if anyone has any routes made up for this region.

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

New member from Lexington KY. I've been to the Daniel Boone Backwater Byway inside the Forest a few times. It's a nice mix of pavement, gravel and dirt. Nothing too crazy.

Let me know when you guys are heading somewhere. Would love to join.
Absolutely! I drive through the Daniel Boone NF all the time on the interstate. Never had a chance to stop and check it out though.

Reactions: TysonDavis

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

I'm in Louisville KY, going out on trais for the first time this weekend. Checking out Daniel boone NF.

TysonDavis

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lexington, KY
Member #

I'm in Louisville KY, going out on trais for the first time this weekend. Checking out Daniel boone NF.
Several people I know are going this weekend. Should be a great one for it. The Daniel Boone Backroad Byway is what you want to check out. Have fun. Let me know next time you go.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Several people I know are going this weekend. Should be a great one for it. The Daniel Boone Backroad Byway is what you want to check out. Have fun. Let me know next time you go.
Thanks, that's what we are going to check out. I'll give you a heads up next time for sure.

Reactions: TysonDavis