Tembo tusk, who has one?

• HTML tutorial

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

Thanks for that link! Prices are very good and I kind of like their 60k BTU burner set up more than the Tembo Tusk 10k BTU Coleman setup.

The Southwest Disk kit is a little bulkier but a bit cheaper overall. I can get on board with the multiple disks, one burner/stand, and refillable 5# - 10# propane tank. You can even go with a propane tank manifold and run your stove, plow disk, and old coleman lantern on the same tank. With their pricing, I'd also consider a standard 18" disk for light duty trips and then a bigger 24" disk for backyard shindigs and bigger groups.
I LOVE my Tembo Tusk for traveling... its light, simple and compact but the Moab Rim being permanently set up at the house is replacing my BBQ grill.

Reactions: Road

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I am going to get one just need to finish some Jeep projects first. so in other words it will be a long time. ;-)

Reactions: Drifterman

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Do you all recommend an adapter hose to be able to use a 20 lb LP tank with the Coleman single burner? Something like this... I have a 20 lb tank at home which doesn't see any use since I prefer charcoal grilling. I don't see lugging it around when we camp so I'll probably want to pick up a 5 lb tank. Are the fittings the same on a 20 lb vs a 5 lb?

Kamalani Mahie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
Member #

Do you all recommend an adapter hose to be able to use a 20 lb LP tank with the Coleman single burner? Something like this... I have a 20 lb tank at home which doesn't see any use since I prefer charcoal grilling. I don't see lugging it around when we camp so I'll probably want to pick up a 5 lb tank. Are the fittings the same on a 20 lb vs a 5 lb?
Yes, you can use a 20lb propane tank with the Skottle burner. It will take an adapter readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, any trailer supply company or even an adapter from Mr. Buddy Heaters. Many people do this. The adapter is for a Coleman burner or stove. Don’t buy the $10 ones on Amazon. Pay at least $20 for a better quality adapter hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Yes, you can use a 20lb propane tank with the Skottle burner. It will take an adapter readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, any trailer supply company or even an adapter from Mr. Buddy Heaters. Many people do this. The adapter is for a Coleman burner or stove. Don’t buy the $10 ones on Amazon. Pay at least $20 for a better quality adapter hose.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the local brick and mortar first. Do you know if the fittings are the same on the 20 lb vs the 5 lb tanks?

Boomer82

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oklahoma
Hey guys, been looking into a Tembo and curious about a couple things...

First, how much does the full size kit weigh? I’ve seen that the smaller 12 inch version only weighs like 3 lbs but can’t find definite weigh on the 18 inch...

Also wondering if anyone has used a bigger burner for it than the 10k BTU? I like doin stir fry type cooking and think maybe a 20k might work better. Anyone?

Kamalani Mahie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
Member #

Hey guys, been looking into a Tembo and curious about a couple things...

First, how much does the full size kit weigh? I’ve seen that the smaller 12 inch version only weighs like 3 lbs but can’t find definite weigh on the 18 inch...

Also wondering if anyone has used a bigger burner for it than the 10k BTU? I like doin stir fry type cooking and think maybe a 20k might work better. Anyone?
I can weigh mine for you when I get home. As far as the burner is concerned, 10k is more than enough for the skottle. A common mistake is actually turning up the heat too high. Definitely preheat on med-high and use some cooking oil and cook on medium heat.