PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Everyone has monetary concerns and we all look to save anywhere we can. Sometimes thats on our gear. What gear have you cheaped out on that has failed you?
I actually enjoy testing cheap gear. My most recent fail was Odoland 3500 Solo stove. This stove is similar to MSR or Gigapower stoves. Unfortunately it does not work well. It spits and sputters, it has poor gas metering as well.
I can not reccomend this stove.
Some things I see most often being listed as junk are knock off awnings, knock off tire carriers, KO Maxtrax, KO Lights, KO Roof tents.... etc.... What have you actually seen fail?

Reactions: Broke

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

X-BULL Traction Boards. Bought them because I got tired of jacking, digging, and building up when I got stuck and didn't want to pay almost 3x for Maxtrax. Used them 2-3 times when one broke on day 1 of a 10 day NE trip. Made a detour and picked up some Maxtrax from OK4WD and I haven't needed them since... Go figure.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
same....bought some chinese brand (yeeroy) traction boards off amazon and they are total shite. sometimes the off brand is OK, but not in this case :rage:
and the sad thing is that i could hear them laughing at me...

1596665943589.png

Last edited:

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
same....bought some chinese brand (yeeroy) traction boards off amazon and they are total shite. sometimes the off brand is OK, but not in this case :rage:
I bought some xbull ones last week...hope they are ok...Box came in with giant "made in china" writing on it and i felt like an absolute dick, lol...I mean, i knew they were copies, but i wouldn't have been that proud of where they were made.

I've gone through enough knock off parts in the car world where now i try my absolute hardest to buy once, cry once...This is a little newer for me and just in case the wife really doesn't enjoy herself i felt some off brands would be ok initially.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
X-BULL Traction Boards. Bought them because I got tired of jacking, digging, and building up when I got stuck and didn't want to pay almost 3x for Maxtrax. Used them 2-3 times when one broke on day 1 of a 10 day NE trip. Made a detour and picked up some Maxtrax from OK4WD and I haven't needed them since... Go figure.
Out of curiosity since my set just came in, were you trying to bridge potholes/gaps, or genuinely stuck in mud/sand? I'm curious how long mine will last.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

My xbull boards are doing well and ive used it to jack up the truck also because it was too short

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Out of curiosity since my set just came in, were you trying to bridge potholes/gaps, or genuinely stuck in mud/sand? I'm curious how long mine will last.
All I remember is gunked up tires (stock tacoma ATs are terrible in mud) and a somewhat sunken log step up in the trail. I think they just didn't slide under like I expected and the little bounce on them when I hit the face of the log did them in. The design is tall, if that makes any sense and it adds a lot more rigidity. They still worked to get me through so it's not like I shattered them, I just cracked the edge on both sides.

I think for a backup plan in mud or sand, they're likely fantastic - you just can't do the stupid shit with them that I've seen Maxtrax take all day long.

OLgadgets

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area
First Name
Huey
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Bought some LED light strips (of course they are made in China) and it failed the first time I installed them and tried to turn them on. This was a good looking product too, except that thought went out the door the moment it failed and I had to curse everything "Made in China". I'll pay $20 more and buy them at HomeDepot.

malacandro

Rank I

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Abraham
Member #

I bought a "tactical shovel" on Amazon a few years ago. 10 in 1! The problem is, it does all 10 things very poorly, including digging. The compass barely spins, the handles come loose when using it, and a crowbar would split wood faster than the hatchet function. I was hoping it would be a decent compact emergency tool for the cars, but it is so bad at everything I wouldn't want to trust it in an actual emergency.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
While I may agree and laugh it is not appropriate to make racist jokes about ones nationalities.....OK to say China makes cheap crap or whatever, but not get personal......Just trying to keep this from going off the rails please.

Thank you all!

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
I bought a "tactical shovel" on Amazon a few years ago. 10 in 1! The problem is, it does all 10 things very poorly, including digging. The compass barely spins, the handles come loose when using it, and a crowbar would split wood faster than the hatchet function. I was hoping it would be a decent compact emergency tool for the cars, but it is so bad at everything I wouldn't want to trust it in an actual emergency.
I have an old army issue E-Tool with the pick attachment, and freaking love it. Got it for free from a Fire Dept getting rid of some old gear. Definitely worth seeing if you can find one on the cheap.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have an old army issue E-Tool with the pick attachment, and freaking love it. Got it for free from a Fire Dept getting rid of some old gear. Definitely worth seeing if you can find one on the cheap.
My grandpa had several when I was a kid, they were very compact and worked wonderfully. Finding an original is getting hard.

Pranqster

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Luis Obispo, CA
Member #

If youre referring to the M-1951 military intrenching tool (with pick) You are 100% correct. They are awesome.

Reactions: LostInThought

Boppa's Travels

Rank VI

Explorer I

Corsicana, TX, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Eubank
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5KFF
Unless you have to dig a fox hole in rocky ground. Not so fun times with the ole e-tool.

Reactions: 64Trvlr