TaxaOutdoor Trailers - Anyone have any experience with them?

• HTML tutorial

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

No one? I guess I might be the guinea pig??

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I really liked the Cricket, and looked all over for a good price on a used one. I just couldn't justify the price. I haven't seen the Wooly Bear in person.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Looked at it again today and put a deposit on it to hold it thru the weekend. Have been looking at the Kakadu for a while and at first wasn't sure about the space in the Woolly Bear. But after going thru the gear and getting rid of what we never use, we will have tons of room with the Woolly Bear. Plus inside the JKU still. And very flexible. We could throw the RTT on to the RAV4 if we wanted to. Or use the trailer for gear only and load kayaks, paddle boards or bikes or a combo of all. Very versatile
And I think it will be fun doing custom upgrades to it.
Like a lift and bigger tires
Solar kit
Wire for a fridge/freezer

Now to think about it non stop for the next 4 days!!

Last edited:

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Looks like I will be one of the first. Just took the plunge and the trailer is being prepped for us. Hopefully take it today if it can all be done by closing. We went back and forth between this and the Kakadu Bushranger 200xt. The future wife liked both but liked the Woolly Bear more due to how the storage was set up, smaller overall size, and the ease of tent sent up. Kakadu tent is big and nice, but overkill when it's just the two of us.
Pictures to come!!

Rtc1930

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thanks for posting all the pictures! Have been considering a woolly bear for a few months now but was hard to find info since they are so new. I really want to see one in person before I make up my mind but overlanding is not that popular by me so the closest dealer with stock is 10 hrs away.

Was originally considering a Sylvan Go but the taxa trailer ticks a lot of boxes for us. My only hesitation was the size since I still have small kids who are not interested in staying in a separate tent. The tent it comes with would be a little on the small side.

Thanks again
Bob

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Thanks for posting all the pictures! Have been considering a woolly bear for a few months now but was hard to find info since they are so new. I really want to see one in person before I make up my mind but overlanding is not that popular by me so the closest dealer with stock is 10 hrs away.

Was originally considering a Sylvan Go but the taxa trailer ticks a lot of boxes for us. My only hesitation was the size since I still have small kids who are not interested in staying in a separate tent. The tent it comes with would be a little on the small side.

Thanks again
Bob
Hi Bob,
You can buy the Woolly Bear without the RTT option. It's about $2k less. Then just go and pick out your own RTT in the size that works for you. You could do a pretty large one on the deck. It would mean you'd have less space up top for gear though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler I

Fellow WoollyBear owner here, so far I am loving mine and with each trip I go on my setup gets more refined. I'm getting close to having it ready to go for trips at all times so it is really enabling me to go camping more easily.

I'll start my own thread once I'm out of forum probation but so far the mods I've made are:

- Ran separate 10ga wiring to the tongue from the rear drawer to power a fridge (Dometic CFX40US)
- Added a "shore power" outlet to run the fridge (swaps power source automatically) when at powered sites or garaged, the quotation marks are because it is just a regular outlet not the RV style

Mods I plan to make:

- Wire in a battery maintainer/charger to the shore power outlet so I have one less thing to do when garaging it
- Add some sort of shelf in the storage compartment like Bueller did
- Work out some way to add an awning over the galley area, current ideas are to either have some sort of lift solution for the RTT and an awning to lift it about 2' above the cargo rack such as something with folding legs and a scissor jack to raise & lower it OR brackets to mount an awning at that height that still allow the full functions of the RTT, which would be tricky to do
- It is booked in to get some BFG AT KO2 LT215/75R15 tires on Thursday as getting a puncture led me down the path of finding out how crappy most Special Trailer (ST) tires are and finding out the tires on there are only rated to 75Mph, which is easy to reach with such a light trailer so I don't want to risk a blowout, the KO2's will also let me air them down on washboard roads to help the suspension a little.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Fellow WoollyBear owner here, so far I am loving mine and with each trip I go on my setup gets more refined. I'm getting close to having it ready to go for trips at all times so it is really enabling me to go camping more easily.

I'll start my own thread once I'm out of forum probation but so far the mods I've made are:

- Ran separate 10ga wiring to the tongue from the rear drawer to power a fridge (Dometic CFX40US)
- Added a "shore power" outlet to run the fridge (swaps power source automatically) when at powered sites or garaged, the quotation marks are because it is just a regular outlet not the RV style

Mods I plan to make:

- Wire in a battery maintainer/charger to the shore power outlet so I have one less thing to do when garaging it
- Add some sort of shelf in the storage compartment like Bueller did
- Work out some way to add an awning over the galley area, current ideas are to either have some sort of lift solution for the RTT and an awning to lift it about 2' above the cargo rack such as something with folding legs and a scissor jack to raise & lower it OR brackets to mount an awning at that height that still allow the full functions of the RTT, which would be tricky to do
- It is booked in to get some BFG AT KO2 LT215/75R15 tires on Thursday as getting a puncture led me down the path of finding out how crappy most Special Trailer (ST) tires are and finding out the tires on there are only rated to 75Mph, which is easy to reach with such a light trailer so I don't want to risk a blowout, the KO2's will also let me air them down on washboard roads to help the suspension a little.
Hey,
I've got a rack for my awning be fabricated at a local welder in town here. It will be aluminum and will essentially have the awning mounted at 23" above the deck. This will get it above the RTT. It will be in tight above the tent when travelling and will be able to slide out up to 20" over the kitchen side when camped. This will allow the tent to be sent up properly. Bonus is I can use it as a rack to mount a kayak or sup on top. And, I'm thinking that I may mount a RoadShower on the other side of it.
Once I get it I will have it powder coated to match the deck on the trailer. I'm hoping to have it back in the next couple of weeks. Some basic drawings of what we are building. Nothing fancy.
IMG_3856.jpgIMG_3857.jpgIMG_3858.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler I

Am still not quite getting what that rack will enable, the rack will be just behind the RTT right? And the open tubes face what way? Forward? How does the extension get the awning to cover the galley area? I must be missing something.

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

Am still not quite getting what that rack will enable, the rack will be just behind the RTT right? And the open tubes face what way? Forward? How does the extension get the awning to cover the galley area? I must be missing something.
Faces kitchen side from behind the rtt. Take a look at shadyboy.com this is the awning I've purchased. 49" when in its case. 10' wise when opened. Will cover the entire side of the trailer

Traveler I

Faces kitchen side from behind the rtt. Take a look at shadyboy.com this is the awning I've purchased. 49" when in its case. 10' wise when opened. Will cover the entire side of the trailer
Ah that explains it, was wondering if it was some sort of Foxwing awning but even then it wasn't working in my head but this one does, how much do they go for?

Bueller

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

About $350 Canadian, so around $10 American!! Lol