Taking the top off of a Jeep

• HTML tutorial

wrath0r

Rank 0

Traveler I

Jeez Louise why make things so complicated? You don't need a crane or special apparatus to remove the top any more than you need a 4.5 inch lift and 40s to go wheeling. The top is made to be removed. Just have a friend lift it off with you when you've removed the screws and set in in the garage. It takes less time than pitching a tent!
Some of us don't have friends to help us.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

No seriously, that's true.... I'm not asking the ex to come over and help me every time I want to take the top down... and literally all my friends are on the other side of town at least 30 min away... and don't have Jeeps so they're gonna think I'm nuts for even asking them... they dont get it... lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MishapMaggie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sherwood Park, AB, Canada
Member #

Jeez Louise why make things so complicated? You don't need a crane or special apparatus to remove the top any more than you need a 4.5 inch lift and 40s to go wheeling. The top is made to be removed. Just have a friend lift it off with you when you've removed the screws and set in in the garage. It takes less time than pitching a tent!
I'm 5'3, female and the last thing I need in my life is to beg and plead and schedule time with people for help taking a top off my vehicle. If there is a way I can do it myself I will. Same reason I did most the install myself on 3/4 of my Jeep's work. I "could" pay a mechanic but I'd rather figure it out myself. So check yourJeez Louise. I learnt a heck of a lot building my lift..that I can use elsewhere. And now, I can do what I want with the top when I want to.

Sent from my E6853 using OB Talk mobile app

wrath0r

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm 5'3, female and the last thing I need in my life is to beg and plead and schedule time with people for help taking a top off my vehicle. If there is a way I can do it myself I will. Same reason I did most the install myself on 3/4 of my Jeep's work. I "could" pay a mechanic but I'd rather figure it out myself. So check yourJeez Louise. I learnt a heck of a lot building my lift..that I can use elsewhere. And now, I can do what I want with the top when I want to.

Good on you for this attitude! Do you have a soft top too? I'm 5'6" and it took me a while to find a good way to pull mine back up quickly and easily, but I managed it. Always interested to see how others do it though.

Reactions: Roxxie

MishapMaggie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sherwood Park, AB, Canada
Member #

Good on you for this attitude! Do you have a soft top too? I'm 5'6" and it took me a while to find a good way to pull mine back up quickly and easily, but I managed it. Always interested to see how others do it though.
Yep! I go between the two tops all the time. I love the soft top for quick weather protection, but it can get noisy. The weather up here varies so much some weeks I take the top off in February! for Alberta Canada..it's weird, but every chance I get I try and enjoy the freedom. To be honest each time I try it's different, I'm with you, always trying to find a easier way with the soft top! I guess it's part of the fun of owning a wrangler. It's been 7 years for me and I'm still flummoxed with how make it more efficient.

wrath0r

Rank 0

Traveler I

Yep! I go between the two tops all the time. I love the soft top for quick weather protection, but it can get noisy. The weather up here varies so much some weeks I take the top off in February! for Alberta Canada..it's weird, but every chance I get I try and enjoy the freedom. To be honest each time I try it's different, I'm with you, always trying to find a easier way with the soft top! I guess it's part of the fun of owning a wrangler. It's been 7 years for me and I'm still flummoxed with how make it more efficient.

I have the premium soft top on my 2014 2 door. The fastest way I've found to pull the soft top up is to actually push the passenger seat forward, climb into the back seat, and pull the top up from there. No more climbing into the cargo area or having to go around from side to side. And with the sunrider option, I can stand up while pulling the top up.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

QUESTION and need suggestions.....

There is a really quick way to make my own hoist using ratchet straps and big eyelet hooks.....I just gotta get them screwed into the bottom of the wood beams in the ceiling....
Here is my ceiling:

So my question is.....YIKES!!!! Those are awfully SKINNY boards and if Im down below, even using a stud finder....my margin of error is SLIM!!!
Any suggestions on HOW TO HIT THOSE DEAD ON????
I will be screwing the big eyelet hooks into the ceiling from down below.....

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

You can mark it with the stud finder then drill a pilot hole. Makes screwing in the hooks easier.

With mine, the studs didn't line up with where I wanted to put the eyelets. So I took a 2x6 and put it across the studs. Screw the 2x6 to the studs then the eyelet into the 2x6.

Reactions: Roxxie and Jimmy P

Brasky

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mesa, AZ
QUESTION and need suggestions.....

There is a really quick way to make my own hoist using ratchet straps and big eyelet hooks.....I just gotta get them screwed into the bottom of the wood beams in the ceiling....
Here is my ceiling:

So my question is.....YIKES!!!! Those are awfully SKINNY boards and if Im down below, even using a stud finder....my margin of error is SLIM!!!
Any suggestions on HOW TO HIT THOSE DEAD ON????
I will be screwing the big eyelet hooks into the ceiling from down below.....
An old trick is to locate the beam with the finder, then tap in finishing nails to locate the sides. I would also say that you will be suspending weight from those beams, and if you're not comfortable, you may want to hold off and grab a professional or someone who has a little experience with this kind of stuff.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

You can mark it with the stud finder then drill a pilot hole. Makes screwing in the hooks easier.

With mine, the studs didn't line up with where I wanted to put the eyelets. So I took a 2x6 and put it across the studs. Screw the 2x6 to the studs then the eyelet into the 2x6.

dblack- am I seeing about 8 screws per 2x6? That is enough to hold the weight of the hard top? Looks like you have something different on yours...about how much weight is yours holding?

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Yes. That's 8 - 4" screws through the 2x6 and into the rafter. That's plenty to hold a hard top that only weighs a couple hundred pounds.

The one in this photo is holding my roof top tent. I used that photo because it was handy. The hard top lift is identical (I'm just too lazy to take it down for a photo op). My roof top tent is about the same weight as the hard top.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

An old trick is to locate the beam with the finder, then tap in finishing nails to locate the sides. I would also say that you will be suspending weight from those beams, and if you're not comfortable, you may want to hold off and grab a professional or someone who has a little experience with this kind of stuff.

Brasky- I like that finishing nail idea...little more work, but Id be more sure of myself since Im very 'visual'- would like to 'see' the board outline of finishing nails (no, I won't use the whole box).... LOL

Reactions: Brasky

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Well- after 2 gals decided “”We can do this!” and tried...... we failed. After about 4 big holes in the ceiling trying to locate where we swore the stud finder said they were.... we hit nothing.... air.
So- I called in the reinforcement, which luckily for me, my dad was in town. Took us the rest of Sat and Sun to complete.... but we did it!!!!

And then another OB’er (Sgt.) came to the rescue and showed me how to take my doors off..... so I’m the Full Monty right now and loving it!!!
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!!!

nicolesea

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mission Valley San Diego
Member #

Well- after 2 gals decided “”We can do this!” and tried...... we failed. After about 4 big holes in the ceiling trying to locate where we swore the stud finder said they were.... we hit nothing.... air.
So- I called in the reinforcement, which luckily for me, my dad was in town. Took us the rest of Sat and Sun to complete.... but we did it!!!!

And then another OB’er (Sgt.) came to the rescue and showed me how to take my doors off..... so I’m the Full Monty right now and loving it!!!
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!!!

Love your Jeep! I’m from the CV and recognized the background in your photos, but currently living in SD now. I’ll be sure to wave when I’m there again visiting family.

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

Cheap & Simple Solution: Don't have pictures right now, but I merely screwed four hooks into my garage ceiling joists; ran a 1" ratchet strap front to back on each side inside the top (make sure you don't run the straps under the roll cage) and ratchet enough to clear the cage. I usually lift the top about 6" off the vehicle and drive out. Of course, you have to back into the garage for this to work. During periods of "top off", I pull into the garage front first and my hood slides nicely under the suspended top. I have a 2017 JKURHR and I've gone weeks at a time with my top off. BTW, I found this simple idea on YouTube by a woman who showed that even she (at 5'4" and a slim frame) could handle this method. It does work great!

By the way, you'll need a good sun shade and tonneau to cover your rear cargo area. Here are mine. The sun shade cuts out about 80% of the UV; still very much open to the sky. The mesh is just the right size. JeepTopsUSA is a little pricier than the competition, but here in central Texas we need a good quality shade to last multiple seasons.

JeepTopless2.jpg JeepTopless1.jpg

Last edited: