Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Scared.
1) Can it be done? (alone) I have a 2017 Rubicon hard top
2) I know you can buy a kit. Anyone rig one up themselves simply?

What's your secret to taking the top on and off without too much trouble? How do YOU do it?
Pics if you got a system in place please!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott nunn

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

I edited the title so that we would know what you were taking the top off of. ;)
Im a little crimson right now....afraid to even ask what I originally typed. Thank you for making it more appropriate! I know what I want to say, but sometimes it doesn't come out right.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Im a little crimson right now....afraid to even ask what I originally typed. Thank you for making it more appropriate! I know what I want to say, but sometimes it doesn't come out right.
Join the club...I usually end up editing my post three or four times finding mistakes each time. All you did was fail to mention what kind of vehicle you were removing the top from.

Reactions: Roxxie

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I screwed some heavy duty eye-bolts into the roof of my carport and would then use ratcheting straps to support and lift the top. While the top was off the jeep it would just dangle there in the carport. It was easy enough to get the top off alone, probably took 5-10 minutes each time. Now i have a rack on and although it swings back to allow for removal of the top, it is very unlikely i will ever take it off again. The dust that accumulates inside from driving around on dirt roads without a top was driving me way too crazy.

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I built a little pulley system for both the roof top tent and the hard cover so I can remove on my own. Pretty simple and only cost me $150 in hardware at princess auto.

I'm running out of real estate. Lol

2 separate but identical systems side by side by the way.

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

I screwed some heavy duty eye-bolts into the roof of my carport and would then use ratcheting straps to support and lift the top. While the top was off the jeep it would just dangle there in the carport. It was easy enough to get the top off alone, probably took 5-10 minutes each time. Now i have a rack on and although it swings back to allow for removal of the top, it is very unlikely i will ever take it off again. The dust that accumulates inside from driving around on dirt roads without a top was driving me way too crazy.
OOOh Brien.......good to know about the dust....that is all we have out here....sand and sand dust, which is worse than sand itself.... hmmmmmm....didnt think about that....guess Ill have to invest in a shop vac and some good rags! LOL

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

I built a little pulley system for both the roof top tent and the hard cover so I can remove on my own. Pretty simple and only cost me $150 in hardware at princess auto.

I'm running out of real estate. Lol

2 separate but identical systems side by side by the way.
Huuummmmm dblack....I love the pics but that looks complicated! LOL Im sure between your pics, asking you some questions and Youtube- I can figure it out! Thanks!

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

OOOh Brien.......good to know about the dust....that is all we have out here....sand and sand dust, which is worse than sand itself.... hmmmmmm....didnt think about that....guess Ill have to invest in a shop vac and some good rags! LOL
Dirt and dust is an issue for those of us in the desert southwest, but the bigger issue for me is a lack of security for anything left in the vehicle. I generally keep a lot of gear in my vehicle, but even if I was running to the store, I wouldn't leave something like a pair of sunglasses. If the top comes off, everything comes out.

Don't get me wrong. I love riding around topless and no dorks, but it is a rare occurrence.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
i know you said no kit, but short of some eyebolts and ratchet straps, you are not saving much from a simple kit like a Harken Hoist unless you really enjoy DIYing.

Reactions: Brasky and Roxxie

wrath0r

Rank 0

Traveler I

Like others have mentioned, I use a Harken Hoist. My garage is very short, so I basically lift the top an inch and drive out of it. I also have a cart that I can use to lift the top vertical and store it against the wall. That's been well worth the money for me. I don't remember which one I bought but I think they're mostly the same.

Brasky

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mesa, AZ
I have a JKU and the top is a lot to handle on your own. It weighs about 120 lbs and is really awkward to handle. Getting it back on is even more difficult and almost impossible to do without a scratch here or there. The Harken hoist is a good manual system for under $150. I initially bought that but than opted for the electric winch style, which is a much easier setup, but pricey at $400 (in the pic). Also worth noting, having a friend help is free ;)

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

I have a JKU and the top is a lot to handle on your own. It weighs about 120 lbs and is really awkward to handle. Getting it back on is even more difficult and almost impossible to do without a scratch here or there. The Harken hoist is a good manual system for under $150. I initially bought that but than opted for the electric winch style, which is a much easier setup, but pricey at $400 (in the pic). Also worth noting, having a friend help is free ;)

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
DANG!!!!! Checked out that system and LOVED the electric push button....is it really that much?! Now I'm crying.... LOL
Nice set up and Jeep!

Reactions: Brasky

Roxxie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Palm Desert
Member #

Like others have mentioned, I use a Harken Hoist. My garage is very short, so I basically lift the top an inch and drive out of it. I also have a cart that I can use to lift the top vertical and store it against the wall. That's been well worth the money for me. I don't remember which one I bought but I think they're mostly the same.

Yep-----

Checked it out and you and Jeepney have the perfect solution. Those Harken Hoists look fab. Just wish I could do the electric one! LOL
Did you see the YOUTUBE video of the guy who made his come out of the ceiling? Like the whole thing was hidden!!!! SWEEEEET!

MishapMaggie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sherwood Park, AB, Canada
Member #

I built the concealed hardtop hoist in my garage, I don't have much space when two cars have to be parked in it. The link in his you tube has full instructions, but I went with this concept in my garage. http://panofish.net/garage-trailer-lift/ took a while to build and it's not complete done because we are in the midst of finishing the garage. It's holding the spftop for now, and I'll park my other vehicle under it for the winter.

Sent from my E6853 using OB Talk mobile app

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

When I had a topper on my last truck I just used a couple of 2x4's cut a bit longer than the width of the toper and 4 ratchet straps hooked to the rafters in the garage. I would back in, unclamp the topper, bring the 2x4's in the bed with me, crouch down then put my back to the underside of the topper, stand up a little, slide the 2x4's under the topper. I would then jump out, hook up all the ratchet straps and lift the topper a couple inches and then drive out. I only needed the topper off occasionally to haul a large/tall item, so I wasn't worried about getting it up against the garage ceiling.

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

Jeez Louise why make things so complicated? You don't need a crane or special apparatus to remove the top any more than you need a 4.5 inch lift and 40s to go wheeling. The top is made to be removed. Just have a friend lift it off with you when you've removed the screws and set in in the garage. It takes less time than pitching a tent!

Reactions: Lead K9 and Roxxie