Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

To add on to this, avoid going though Old Sluice, it’s arguably the toughest section of trail and there is a bypass that goes completely around it. This section is between Little Sluice (also has bypass) and Buck Island Lake. There really are few real bypasses in the trail. The 2 I mentioned are really the 2 primary ones. Then there are side challenges like “soup bowl” but if you didn’t know where to look you would drive right by it without even knowing it.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
So just take your stock rig up there and give us a report after you finish? BTW short wb rigs have it easier IMHO
I think you miss understand what I was going for. They took out the epic obstacles that were like badges of honor for the rock guys. Im sure its still not navigable by most stock rigs, but with those obstacles gone I dont see myself making the 1000mile trip period...

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

All I can share is, when you’ve been on the Con once, you’ve been on the Con once. This trail changes every single time you run it. Especially from year to year from the freeze thaw cycles. The other huge variables are the Jeep and Jeepers Jamboree’s. The trail is always much easier after these events because of the amount of stacking that happens to get all of the rigs through the events.

Reactions: v_man and JCWages

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
There are some seriously short sighted comments on this thread. People who've never even laid eyes on the trail are proclaiming it's not worth their time because a tiny section has been altered? Laughable .

What should motivate you to get on the Rubicon is not any one obstacle or challenge, but the overall incredible beauty of the country the trail passes through. You get to 4x4 by high mountain lakes, cross angry little streams, take in incredible vistas, and the trail ends at one of America's most beautiful lakes.

In my opinion the 4x4 challenges of the Rubicon are just the icing on the cake to what is arguably one of the most scenic and lovely passages through the mountains. It's a truly a classic trail experience that should be on ever 4wheelers bucket list...

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Well said, V-Man. Certainly by the looks of that video, it's still an extremely daunting challenge for any vehicle, and the scenery looks absolutely breathtaking.

Maybe I'll be the first ever to drive a Honda CR-V through it lol Maybe not, but I might end up being the first to even try. For better or worse, I tend to respond to "it can't be done" with "challenge accepted."

For sure I wouldn't even attempt it without my lift and winch installed and a set of traction recovery boards, though.

Reactions: JCWages

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

The Rubicon trial is on my list for sure! I hear so many positive things about the trail. Very challenging and exciting for a 4x4. Pretty stoked to test it out for myself.