Tahoe/Rubicon Trail?

• HTML tutorial

Ruadytrout

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bend, Oregon
Member #

Hello, Overlanders. I am looking for information on routes and remote camps near Tahoe, CA, as well as any info on running the Rubicon. I’ve heard there are bypass routes around some of the toughest parts and just want to confirm. Thanks.

justinbretclark

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Danville, CA, USA
Member #

I have never done the Rubicon, but have don lots of quick off roading trails in North Lake Tahoe. I have heard that there are camp sites as you near the completion/end of the Rubicon Trail - Rubicon Springs area. I would download the All Trails app, also this time of year can be tough as many of the off road trails have steep sections that are tough when wet/frozen.

Good areas to find off road driving trails:
Prosser Creek Reservoir
Boca Reservoir
Stampede Reservoir

From what I've heard about the Rubicon, the extreme sections have bypass routes... but many of the tough/difficult sections do not. Again, I've never been out there myself.

Reactions: Nickzero

Dtyo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Delray Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Tyo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSO
I have never done the Rubicon, but have don lots of quick off roading trails in North Lake Tahoe. I have heard that there are camp sites as you near the completion/end of the Rubicon Trail - Rubicon Springs area. I would download the All Trails app, also this time of year can be tough as many of the off road trails have steep sections that are tough when wet/frozen.

Good areas to find off road driving trails:
Prosser Creek Reservoir
Boca Reservoir
Stampede Reservoir

From what I've heard about the Rubicon, the extreme sections have bypass routes... but many of the tough/difficult sections do not. Again, I've never been out there myself.
Bypass, or not, the Rubicon is a serious trail with serious obstacles. We did it in a Jeep JKU HR with the Jeepers Jamboree group and have the dented skid plates, door nick and rubbed fenders to prove it. The first section out of Georgetown is relatively easy, but it gets serious quickly. Coming in from the Tahoe side is OK for a ways in - it all depends on your experience and vehicle capability.

Dan

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
I did the Jeepers Jamboree last year. As I recall, there were only 2 by-passes. Like Dtyo stated, it is a pretty serious trail, not to say it can't be done in a moderately modified vehicle. I too walked away with some dents, mostly to armor and skids. My rock sliders took a pretty fair beating as well as my LCA mounts. My rear bumper got thumped on a few steep dropoffs, which resulted in kissing my rear passenger corner. Wheels got scraped a bit. And I took the trail when my JK wasn't even a whole year old! But this was exactly what I bought the Jeep for :)

Cav 3724

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coronado California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
C
Loon lake is the unofficial trailhead/start point, however some people start at the Lake Tahoe point. Loon lake is an improved campground. After Loon lake, a good camping area is Buck Island lake, then Rubicon springs. Things get a little dicey on Cadillac outside of Rubicon springs if there is two way traffic. I only remember two go arounds as well. The trail is awesome. Winter time is no time to hit the trail. I have seen 8 foot drifts on the trail near Tahoe in late May. You will enjoy it.

Overland California

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

San Jose, California
Member #

The Rubicon is a serious trail and chances are your mostly stock Tahoe won't make it through the gatekeeper or if it does, off the trail. You'll want front and rear lockers, no trailer, openness for body damage in a full size rig, lots of spare parts and fluids and the know-how on replacing them, a good spotter and second vehicle, and a winch to help you up some of the winch hills.

Jeepers who run the Jamboree will say differently, but that's a highly experienced guided run in a much smaller and more stock capable vehicle. Not to mention boulders that Jeeps can go around, full size rigs have to go over.

I've run the trail a couple of times and our groups have experienced every breakdown including, blown hubs, driveshafts, axle shafts, wheel bearings, cracked oil filter, ring and pinion failure, steering box hoses blown, cracked water pumps, bent and broken radius arms, roll over, blown up ball joint, cracked axle knuckle, and so on. Lots can go wrong when fat rigs are trying to go over Civic-sized boulders while off-camber.

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

The Rubicon is a serious trail and chances are your mostly stock Tahoe won't make it through the gatekeeper or if it does, off the trail. You'll want front and rear lockers, no trailer, openness for body damage in a full size rig, lots of spare parts and fluids and the know-how on replacing them, a good spotter and second vehicle, and a winch to help you up some of the winch hills.

Jeepers who run the Jamboree will say differently, but that's a highly experienced guided run in a much smaller and more stock capable vehicle. Not to mention boulders that Jeeps can go around, full size rigs have to go over.

I've run the trail a couple of times and our groups have experienced every breakdown including, blown hubs, driveshafts, axle shafts, wheel bearings, cracked oil filter, ring and pinion failure, steering box hoses blown, cracked water pumps, bent and broken radius arms, roll over, blown up ball joint, cracked axle knuckle, and so on. Lots can go wrong when fat rigs are trying to go over Civic-sized boulders while off-camber.

[emoji50]

Reactions: Overland California

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The Rubicon is serious business, hell even some of the bypasses are serious. Before even thinking of going for it I would want a built rig and have zero regard for the body work. For perspective when a buddy did it he ran a 78 K10 Chevy on 38s, 1tons, locked front and rear, dual transfer casses, cutting brakes, hydro assist, and zero "F"s given. It was a fun build to be part of, I wish I could have gone.
When he came home the pickup was still road worthy (he drove to the trail from Tacoma WA, and drove back home after running it, trailers are for posers, LOL) but we spent the next few months doing permanent and proper fixes to all the stuff he broke. My favorite was the bailing wire transmission mount...
I have however heard that old man Peawe (SP?) has run a bone stock flat fender Jeep and Toyota Hilux down the Rubicon, but that man is like a deity of off road so...

To Add: for current trail conditions check out the PBB (Pirate 4x4). They are a rough bunch but its the best info on the Rubicon I am aware of.

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Who blew up all the obstacles?? I had never heard of that either. Of course I only really know the trail from youtube videos, mostly Trail Recon's vid series.

Reactions: 9Mike2

woody

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

SAN DIEGO,CA
Member #

It is a serious trail and I would advise going with others that have run it before, preferably one in front and 1 behind and all 3 with good comms. A humble attitude helps. Might be the longest 12 or so miles of your life.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Dang, that's a crying shame. It's like defacing a work of art.

Having said that, when I get my rig fully built, I might just take a crack at it.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF

Dtyo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Delray Beach, FL, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Tyo
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSO
Well, after looking through that stuff it looks like they really took the teeth out of the trail. Honestly looking at that I dont even think its worth it to me to build a rig to run it...
Don't worry, the Rubicon still has plenty of nasty surprises to dent all parts of your rig!

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

Bypass, or not, the Rubicon is a serious trail with serious obstacles. We did it in a Jeep JKU HR with the Jeepers Jamboree group and have the dented skid plates, door nick and rubbed fenders to prove it. The first section out of Georgetown is relatively easy, but it gets serious quickly. Coming in from the Tahoe side is OK for a ways in - it all depends on your experience and vehicle capability.

Dan
I have run it both directions so to be clear, unless you are really set up for rock crawling, going in from the Tahoe side (commonly known as running it backwards) you should not venture past Observation Point. Cadillac Hill is just past it and depending on the rock placements is a real deal obstacle with no bypass.

Last edited: