Tacoma vs 4Runner

• HTML tutorial

DesertWalker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cave Creek, AZ
Member #

Kind of on the fence here. Thinking third gen 4Runner or around the same time frame Tacoma. Will be a everyday driver as well as overland. The 4Runner has the option of sleeping in the rig, but the Tacoma has the bed which obviously can be very useful. Any advantages mechanically one way or the other?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

WestieTRD

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

6108 NW Snowlily Dr, Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Blurton
Member #

Kind of on the fence here. Thinking third gen 4Runner or around the same time frame Tacoma. Will be a everyday driver as well as overland. The 4Runner has the option of sleeping in the rig, but the Tacoma has the bed which obviously can be very useful. Any advantages mechanically one way or the other?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Having a utility trailer made the 4Runner decision easier for me. Wanted a Tacoma bad, but the increased security and the shorter overall length of the comparable 4 door versions sealed it.

Sent from my SM-T800 using OB Talk mobile app

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I simply can't live without a truck.

I'd go insane.

I'm like Monk (from T.V.) it would pester and fester and then I'd have to haul something and my brain would say "SEE, I TOLD YOU......"

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Aside from the pros already mentioned in the previous replies, 4Runners have a shorter wheelbase, better driving positions and backseats are more pleasant for the passengers.

As Murphy mentioned, the bed of a pick up is very useful. I find when I pack up in the morning when my gear is damp and dirty, being able to throw everything in the bed and not affect the cab is a huge plus for me. Most of where I go tends to have quite a bit of mud and that bed makes it easy to pack up.