Tacoma v. Colorado ZR2 (Or the battle between Gas and Diesel)

• HTML tutorial

Should I get Tacoma TRD (gas) or Colorado ZR2 (diesel)?

• Tacos for days bud

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Radical 'Rado diesel man

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

So my tried and true 2007 2WD Tacoma is reaching its 10th birthday and I find myself in a good position to (a) get a new rig and (b) dive deeper into overlanding.

Right now Im torn between pursuing another Tacoma TRD Off-Road and/or TRD Pro V6 or indulging in a Chevy Colorado ZR2 Duramax 2.8

Ive poked around and watched reviews on both vehicles but was hoping some other members with real life experience with Diesel rigs may have some advice and input. Initially, while I love the look of the Tacoma, the torque and better fuel economy has me drawn towards the Colorado ZR2 diesel option.

Im curious to know if it would be worth pursuing the diesel option but am unsure if there are any other major downsides to going for it besides price and perhaps increased cost of maintenance.

Any input from other members would be much appreciated!

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I personally, would love a diesel. I wish we had more diesels in North America.

But... my thoughts would wonder about longevity, and support.

Longevity: new engines come and go. Is this a new engine? Is it proven? In 5 years can a person get support for it?

Support: I know that if you wanted to you could stroll into almost any after market 4x4 shop and they'd have a whack of parts and options for the taco. That's not true of the Colorado... yet. Maybe it will, but it's isn't yet. You can probably get custom bis and pieces, but custom costs money.

I think a diesel would be awesome. And if you don't mind the unknown, then go for it. But being on the bleeding edge can be painful.

PabstBlueSwayze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Glendale, CA 91202
Member #

I personally, would love a diesel. I wish we had more diesels in North America.

But... my thoughts would wonder about longevity, and support.

Longevity: new engines come and go. Is this a new engine? Is it proven? In 5 years can a person get support for it?

Support: I know that if you wanted to you could stroll into almost any after market 4x4 shop and they'd have a whack of parts and options for the taco. That's not true of the Colorado... yet. Maybe it will, but it's isn't yet. You can probably get custom bis and pieces, but custom costs money.

I think a diesel would be awesome. And if you don't mind the unknown, then go for it. But being on the bleeding edge can be painful.
Early adoption is one of my concerns and I definitely appreciate the feedback. One of the divisive arguments between the two rigs is that there is a hell of a lot more parts and support for the Taco but the ZR2, as you note, is uncharted and new.

I can deal with uncharted and new with a standard Taco V6 but what exacerbates my concern is buying into a mid-size Chevy Diesel that doesnt yet have a robust market. As I have literally zero experience with the upkeep and maintenance of a Diesel Im hoping to find feedback from previous owners of Diesels (not necessarily ZR2s obviously) just so that I can get a glimpse of what to expect

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

I had a 12 valve cummins diesel in a '96 dodge 3/4 ton for years. My biggest complaint about it was that it was 2wd. Never buy a 2wd diesel. The engine was so heavy that I'd get stuck in soft gravel if I stopped. Awesome for towing, but terrible in the winter. I got really good at putting my chains on.

Engine wise it ran great. Towed great and never missed a beat. The diesels these days have changed with the scrubbers and such required to meet emissions standards. I don't know if the zr2 has the scrubbers, but it would complicate things. The advantage of that 12 valve was that it was pretty simple.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Personally I would take the gamble on the Diesel buy it new with warrantee to minimize risk of bad design. I am also sure the 2.8L diesel will also provide a greatly improved rage over the 3.6L v6.

Reactions: PabstBlueSwayze

Andrew24

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

GTA Ontario
Member #

a guy on the coloradofans forum did the math with current fuel prices it would take 19 years of average driving to pay of the diesel. i dont see the value tbh the LFX and now the LGX have proved to be extremely reliable engines for GM i dont think you can go wrong with either

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
For me the value of a Diesel is not about cost savings, It's all about range. My other car is a Jaguar, with a supercharged V8. Great performance, but terrible fuel economy. I would buy the Diesel, because of the Diesel benefits to an Overlanding adventure. The low end torque is fantastic on the trail. Not having to consume payload, with additional fuel storage, would be great.