Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I finally went out and bought some Reflectix for my A.R.E. topper today. Then I thought, what the heck, let's do a quick video that shows the sleeping platform in the back of my Tacoma (2014 TRD Off-Road short bed). So here it is.

It's simple 2x6's with a 2x12 that I used as a center beam since I made space for my fridge. Carpeted plywood as the platform. Then layers for comfort.
  • sleeping pads
  • blanket
  • comforter
  • mummy bag
  • synthetic quilt
  • pillows

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Do you find it difficult to sleep in the short bed? I have one and thinking about trying it but I'm about 6ft and would have gf and dogs with me.

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Do you find it difficult to sleep in the short bed? I have one and thinking about trying it but I'm about 6ft and would have gf and dogs with me.
So finally I'm happy to be short. I'm 5'-6" and my pup is 25 lbs. so we fit ok. I wouldn't recommend 2 people and a dog. When I have the fridge mounted in there, there is less space which makes it even a bit cramped for me. Though I use the top of the fridge as a nightstand for items in my pockets. The inside edge of the cap also makes a nice little shelf for things like phone and glasses.

Reactions: geekyadam

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Gotcha. Thanks for the detail. I wanted a long bed but apparently you can't get a 3rd gen manual transmission with a long bed. :/
Nice project!

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Gotcha. Thanks for the detail. I wanted a long bed but apparently you can't get a 3rd gen manual transmission with a long bed. :/
Nice project!
Yeah, now I'm seeing why a long bed is nice. There's always pros and cons. FWIW, I have a 3-season tent that I use when the weather is nice. That allows me to set up camp and still use my truck.

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I built a simple platform in my short bed Tacoma. Just two pieces of plywood and two 2x6 boards to hold the plywood up. I put some outdoor carpet on the plywood. I slept in the bed a few times late last fall. It got down to the low 20’s and was super windy but I had a good sleeping bag and my camper top is actually insulted. I’m only 5’6” so I could sleep diagonally in the bed. It’s not something I’d do for a long trip but it’ll work. I mainly used the platform as extra storage in my truck. I like that it’s easily removed. Now I have a rooftop tent so the bed is where the dog sleeps

D113843C-E597-4C00-86DB-23E6A8C06368.jpeg