Tacoma owners that have removed your spare and relocated it

• HTML tutorial

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

So I'm thinking of pulling my spare from under my truck and relocating it to the bed. Protecting the spare from road debris and damage . Another member had great idea of securing it to bed inside rail system. Plan on rack system for the bed and attaching it to that later. Appreciate thoughts and input

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Mine's been under there for 20 years and 300k+ miles. Only 2 issues:
1) Some guy tried removing for me while the truck was parked in my driveway.
2) When I found that the Cable Lock (I'd bought to keep #1 from happening again) took a rock hit to the keyway and could no longer be opened. Very lucky that it was noticed on the rack, during a standard check of the spare rather than on the side of the road since it took me 30 mins to cut the cable off once I got home with the proper tools.

If I ever relocate it, I'll move it to a roof rack or swing out. It takes up way too much room in the bed.

Boort

Last edited:

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ball Ground, Pickens County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Mine's been under there for 20 years and 300k+ miles. Only 2 issues:
1) Some guy tried removing for me while the truck was parked in my driveway.
2) When I found that the Cable Lock (I'd bought to keep #1 from happening again) took a rock hit to the keyway and could no longer be opened. Very lucky that it was noticed on the rack, during a standard check of the spare rather than on the side of the road since it took me 30 mins to cut the cable off once I got home with the proper tools.

If I ever relocate it, I'll move it to a roof rack or swing out. It takes up way too much room in the bed.

Boort
I’ve wondered if I should remove mine from under my Tacoma. I’d need to add a tire holder which would be more weight and I already have enough! Have you done a lot of off-roading? It never was an issue of getting hung up on rocks? Thanks!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
This is definitely more of a general truck issue. I pulled mine out from under my Bison almost immediately and mounted it to the bed for a hot minute, then the decked drawers, and now it’s on my bed rack where it’s staying. I don’t like any of the potential issues of having the spare under there. Not to mention it hung down too low and the tire size I intend to run won’t fit anyway. I secured strongly, locked to prevent it from taking a midnight stroll with strangers, and covered to keep it out of the sun. You Yota people have the benefit of the bed rails. Should make mounting it simple.

8DBFF104-E4C9-4A15-A2D1-57458EE272B6.jpeg

Reactions: OldManJack

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I’ve wondered if I should remove mine from under my Tacoma. I’d need to add a tire holder which would be more weight and I already have enough! Have you done a lot of off-roading? It never was an issue of getting hung up on rocks? Thanks!
@OldManJack

Well she has nearly 350k on the clock and has been all around the mountian west from Canada to NM and KS/NB to Ut, Id and beyond, turned down forest service roads, and over more mtn passes than I can remember. She has gone anywhere I've pointed her and gotten me back home. That said She is a basically stock 97 Tacoma and none of this would qualify as "Rock Crawling".
When I was considering building her out for deeper off roading I considered a rear bumper with swing out to get it out from under the belly but went with building out the 4Runner instead. (It also still has the spare under the rear-end.)

Boort

Reactions: OldManJack

OldManJack

Rank IV

Advocate II

Ball Ground, Pickens County, Georgia, United States
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
@OldManJack

Well she has nearly 350k on the clock and has been all around the mountian west from Canada to NM and KS/NB to Ut, Id and beyond, turned down forest service roads, and over more mtn passes than I can remember. She has gone anywhere I've pointed her and gotten me back home. That said She is a basically stock 97 Tacoma and none of this would qualify as "Rock Crawling".
When I was considering building her out for deeper off roading I considered a rear bumper with swing out to get it out from under the belly but went with building out the 4Runner instead. (It also still has the spare under the rear-end.)

Boort
Thank you sir.