Tacoma Loadout Suggestions (New TRD OR Owner)

• HTML tutorial

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

So two years ago I sold my 2014 Jeep Wrangler which I had lifted on 37's and the whole lot. I bought a luxury car, which was nice but did not suit my life style at all. I moved out of the dense city area to a suburb recently and picked myself up a 2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad this weekend as a project (hence not going with the TRD PRO). I'm officially back in the game! I am planning on running tires in the range of 305/70R17 (or about 34"), but that is really all I know at the moment.

Does anyone have suggestions as to lifts, wheels (offset) and bumpers? I have absouletly no idea about Tacoma's because I was a Jeep guy, so I need all the input I can get!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hafaday and Chadlyb

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Congrats. We also made the switch to a '19 Tacoma trd or switching from a ram. Extremely happy with the decision. The only hard part now is so much after market support how do you choose lol. I will be leaning heavily on my Baja/prerunner background for suspension and some other parts as they are vendors I know and trust. Otherwise looking forward to seeing how this adventure is built.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I ordered my 2019 Tacoma a few weeks ago. Cant wait for it. I have been researching small lifts. I have my Cruiser as my main off road toy. This is my driver so, I'm not going to go nuts with it (I hope). Some of what I've read (mostly Tacoma world) mentions "if we lift, we have to have one of the sensors calibrated" (don't remember which). With the front higher, it looses the ground. I get that but, you have the same effect if you put weight in the bed. The front now points up some.

I'm still trying to get answers. Most of what I read seems to be opinion. I work in the automotive industry so you would think it would be easy for me. As far as I know its only the 2019's

Opinions??

EDIT: Bumpers. The rear needs the holes for the rear sensors. There's a few people making custom front. They look big and heavy. I was going to build a piece under the grill and set a winch back there. I didn't really want to do a full bumper. From what I read, you cant have anything in front of the grill. It will confuse the sensor that's below the emblem

Scott

Last edited:

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

So two years ago I sold my 2014 Jeep Wrangler which I had lifted on 37's and the whole lot. I bought a luxury car, which was nice but did not suit my life style at all. I moved out of the dense city area to a suburb recently and picked myself up a 2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad this weekend as a project (hence not going with the TRD PRO). I'm officially back in the game! I am planning on running tires in the range of 305/70R17 (or about 34"), but that is really all I know at the moment.

Does anyone have suggestions as to lifts, wheels (offset) and bumpers? I have absouletly no idea about Tacoma's because I was a Jeep guy, so I need all the input I can get!
Cool deal. and Welcome.

I'm also a Jeeper. Currently have a 14 JKU with a manual (will be going away soon).. Also have a 19 Taco and doing my damnedest to keep it stock.

As said, Check out Tacomaworld for more info. I'm almost positive you will have to do a CMC (Cab mount chop) to fit 34's, along with a good chunk of change for lift and other stuff.

The front radar is mounted behind the Toyota emblem on the front grill. Theoretically, if the vehicle is raised. the Radar needs to be re-calibrated for the change in height.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

@Hafaday @smritte Thanks guys. Any input or experience with Fox, Bilstein or Icon?

I read about the sensor thing on the 19's. But I also read it was BS as well, so who knows.. I will find out haha. Cab mount chop and some trimming is probably going to happen at some point anyhow, so I'm prepared for that. At the moment, I am considering C4 Hybrid Front Bumper for the front, but no idea for the rear.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

@Hafaday @smritte Thanks guys. Any input or experience with Fox, Bilstein or Icon?

I read about the sensor thing on the 19's. But I also read it was BS as well, so who knows.. I will find out haha. Cab mount chop and some trimming is probably going to happen at some point anyhow, so I'm prepared for that. At the moment, I am considering C4 Hybrid Front Bumper for the front, but no idea for the rear.
I have no input on the above listed, other than the Bils on my Jeep.. and that is totally different setup.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Ive run Bilstein then Fox on my Jeep. I preferred the Fox. I have OME on my cruiser. Not happy with OME. They may have been great 20 years ago. I'll probably end up with Icon when I redo everything. From what I understand, Icon valves their shocks correctly for Toyota. Everyone else will give you a "this will fit all these" shock. In racing you need exact. I don't race any more but I want my shocks to be as close to exact as possible.

Reactions: Desert Runner

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I have always had great results with Fox and King shocks. As @smritte stated these are usually just generic valving either based on shock model or basic valving for the vehicle usually in stock form. I have not had experience with icon but have heard they are much better valved out of the box for toyotas compared to others. All of my fox and king's have all been custom valved for my specific vehicle and driving style. I have had alot of racing experience with suspension both on road and off and for me most shocks out of the box just don't cut it ( man I have been ruined lol). But for the average person they will probably not ever notice that big of a difference for the price.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

@smritte @mylilpwny I read that Fox worked with Toyota to develop some shocks, and thus they should have decent valving out of the box if you buy the right part number. No idea if this is true. But I had fox 2.0 reservoirs on my Jeep and really liked them, and I'm thinking of doing Fox over Icon. Heard leaking issues with the Icon stuff.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

@smritte @mylilpwny I read that Fox worked with Toyota to develop some shocks, and thus they should have decent valving out of the box if you buy the right part number. No idea if this is true. But I had fox 2.0 reservoirs on my Jeep and really liked them, and I'm thinking of doing Fox over Icon. Heard leaking issues with the Icon stuff.
I know that the newer 3rd gen tacoma trd pros have fox shocks. Idk if those ones are the only ones they worked on or all. I would go fox/king's over icon mainly due to my experience with them and knowledge or shops and how to get them rebuild and valved. I'm sure that even out of the box foxs you will be happy with if you were happy with them on your Jeep.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I know that the newer 3rd gen tacoma trd pros have fox shocks. Idk if those ones are the only ones they worked on or all. I would go fox/king's over icon mainly due to my experience with them and knowledge or shops and how to get them rebuild and valved. I'm sure that even out of the box foxs you will be happy with if you were happy with them on your Jeep.
That's what I figure. Not looking to race Mint or Baja 1000, just want to get to those fishing spots, hiking trails, Oregon dunes and some legendary trails. Thinking of this on the front and these on the rear with a Dakar rear leaf pack after some research.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

That's what I figure. Not looking to race Mint or Baja 1000, just want to get to those fishing spots, hiking trails, Oregon dunes and some legendary trails. Thinking of this on the front and these on the rear with a Dakar rear leaf pack after some research.
I'm not to familiar with the replacement style fox ( all the ones I had we're custom length and spring rate). I personally would always go with piggy backs front and rear. Alot of people always put piggy backs on the rear but over look all the weight that is in the front and what we add. I know your not looking to go racing in Baja but that extra fluid and cooling can really help reduce or even eliminate ( depending on driving and road) shock fade. I'm not sure how much more the piggy back ones are and they may not be worth it for you. I tend to go fast as j have a prerunner background so I can find shock fade pretty quickly. Also another thing to consider is are you relatively stock or do you have a bunch of add-ons like bumpers winch and so on. Many people overlook having the proper spring rate in the front.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
What @mylilpwny said and when you go to bigger tires, your unsprung weight goes up. You can fade a shock pretty quick just cruising down a dirt road. Reservoir/piggy back shocks aren't that much over non. Its a good upgrade.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I agree about the fronts, I will have to see about that. Looking at a winch and a front bumper at the most really. I know the bumper is around 115 lbs.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I agree about the fronts, I will have to see about that. Looking at a winch and a front bumper at the most really. I know the bumper is around 115 lbs.
Depending on how in-depth you want to go with your suspension. The best thing imho is do it once aand do it right. I would add the bumper and winch first. I know it can sound a bit contradictory but can be better in the long run. They can weigh the vehicle with the added components and know what spring rate you should run.

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

I bought my Taco in March. Love it. My background it offroad racing as well. I'm trying to stay simple with the mods. Only add things I need. When I get my lift, this is the one I'll go with. You can even work with them to get the right spring rate up front. Main Line Overland. as far as the sensors go, the TSS is just a fancy name for ADAS (advanced drive assistance systems) . lifting it will affect where the sensors "look" . its more about the front radar, think radar cruise control, emergency braking etc. Find a shop that can recalibrate and you're good

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I bought my Taco in March. Love it. My background it offroad racing as well. I'm trying to stay simple with the mods. Only add things I need. When I get my lift, this is the one I'll go with. You can even work with them to get the right spring rate up front. Main Line Overland. as far as the sensors go, the TSS is just a fancy name for ADAS (advanced drive assistance systems) . lifting it will affect where the sensors "look" . its more about the front radar, think radar cruise control, emergency braking etc. Find a shop that can recalibrate and you're good
Also depending on if you got a trd pro or not you can swap to a trd pro grill which will relocate the sensor lower in the grill to help compensate for a lift. I have hear that with this many have not had to do a recalibration. If that is the case most have said it comes out to the same price.

Reactions: barnstormers