Tacoma Loadout Suggestions (New TRD OR Owner)

• HTML tutorial

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Also depending on if you got a trd pro or not you can swap to a trd pro grill which will relocate the sensor lower in the grill to help compensate for a lift. I have hear that with this many have not had to do a recalibration. If that is the case most have said it comes out to the same price.
I'm getting an SR5 (2 more weeks. cant wait). I was looking at the pro grill. Your saying the sensor is a bit lower? That would be sweet, all I'm doing is raising the front enough to level it, go with a better spring/shock and up one tire size.
Its going to be mostly street, my Cruiser is the toy.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I'm getting an SR5 (2 more weeks. cant wait). I was looking at the pro grill. Your saying the sensor is a bit lower? That would be sweet, all I'm doing is raising the front enough to level it, go with a better spring/shock and up one tire size.
Its going to be mostly street, my Cruiser is the toy.
Exactly. All the other grills have the sensor ( radar) behind the Toyota badge. On the trd grill where it actually says Toyota the sensor is mounted more towards the bottom of the grill in the middle. If you look at a new one you will see where the holes (for lack of a better term) are if you look in the middle bottom there is a spot where the holes are covered. That is where the sensor is located. I believe they did this since the trd pro sits higher from the factory than the other trim levels.

Reactions: smritte

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Well I actually went with Bilstein 6112 (and a 1/4" front strut spacer) in the front and 5160 remote reservoirs in the rear based on local feedback. I got SPC UCAs, a cab mount chop and wheels with a 4" backspace and -12 offset to try and clear 315 75R16 BFG KM3 (or KO2s haven't decided fully).

In the rear, it's either dakar leafs or icon add a leaf, which all said and done will be about 3" of lift.

free to go

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sonoma, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
Newman
Member #

So two years ago I sold my 2014 Jeep Wrangler which I had lifted on 37's and the whole lot. I bought a luxury car, which was nice but did not suit my life style at all. I moved out of the dense city area to a suburb recently and picked myself up a 2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad this weekend as a project (hence not going with the TRD PRO). I'm officially back in the game! I am planning on running tires in the range of 305/70R17 (or about 34"), but that is really all I know at the moment.

Does anyone have suggestions as to lifts, wheels (offset) and bumpers? I have absouletly no idea about Tacoma's because I was a Jeep guy, so I need all the input I can get!
what are the biggest tires you can put on a TRD PRO, without running into problems?

barnstormers

Rank V

Explorer I

Rupert Idaho
First Name
Barney
Last Name
Fife
Member #

I just installed a set of 255/85R16s on my 19 TRD off road. No lift, stock wheels, only rub is the front mudflap at full turn and compression. 33x10. I’m sure on a Pro you can go more but sooner not later you’ll end up doing the cab mount chop.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

what are the biggest tires you can put on a TRD PRO, without running into problems?
I am by no means a Toyota expert yet, Jeeps sure ahaha. But I believe 265/70 is the highest without a lift. Anything 285 and above is in the cab mount chop range/lift and above 285 is into control arms and lift for sure.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Isn’t the Taco off-road capable enough as it is, if you are just driving to fishing spots and hiking trails?
I kept my Colorado stock for quite awhile and found out what I needed that way. And it has less front clearance than the Taco and for basic trails like you’re talking about, you’ll be perfectly fine

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If its a 2019, you have small issues with the front sensor. Needs recalibrating. I have the SR5. If I lifted mine a couple of inche's, I could put on your grill and drop the sensor down. Tacoma World has a number posts on your question.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Isn’t the Taco off-road capable enough as it is, if you are just driving to fishing spots and hiking trails?
I kept my Colorado stock for quite awhile and found out what I needed that way. And it has less front clearance than the Taco and for basic trails like you’re talking about, you’ll be perfectly fine
It is capable, but not for the tracks I intend to run. The good stuff isn't always down an FSR (for example the image below) and neither are some of the hiking trailheads with the washouts they get. Having done the same stuff in my Jeep, it's already apparent that while the stock truck may handle it, it won't be idea. Also, long drives on washed out roads and the like, it would be nice to better cooling capacity on the shocks for safety reasons.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

After waiting for all the parts (months), and finally getting all the cutting done to get rid of 99% of the rub with 35" tires on 3" of lift, here is the result. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Suspension: Bilstein 6112 & 5160 remote reservoirs with SPC UCAs and icon add a leaf
Wheels: Procomp 4" backspace, -12 offset
Tires: 315 75R16 BFG KO2s

84709723_554764548460684_8557031680768999424_n.jpg

Gundo

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Larkspur, Calif.
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Gunderson
Member #

Check out "88 rotors" on YouTube. They lift taco's all day long. This channel will give you a lot of ideas.

eharris2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Cañon City, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Harris
Member #

For what it’s worth, I had a Fox suspension setup with remote reservoirs and a Deaver add a leaf. Worked great until I added steel skid plates, sliders, cargo slid, bed rack, RTT, and camping gear. Then it started to get spongy and felt loose for lack of a better term. I quickly realized that it was to much weight for the Fox setup. I went broke and installed an ICON stage 9 setup with billet UCS’s. Totally cured my issues and it is a fantastic setup. I was a victim of how quickly I modified my truck and it got heavy quick. Plan ahead and chose wisely. Great rig, have fun.