Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
What year is your Ram?

I use a Weathertech cup phone in my Subaru, and it works great in that car, but my 3rd gen Ram has these squish-able rubberized inserts in the cup holders that are relatively shallow so I'm not confident something like that will stay put while bumping along off road. I still haven't made a plan, but I'm leaning towards the seat bolt mount. I'm trying not to keep it accessible and operable by a passenger yet unobtrusive.
It's a 2014 3500 and I'm looking to hold a tablet. I looked at a seat bolt mount, but the one I looked at won't fit my bolts, which are somewhat recessed and the bolt-in setup is for a flat mount. I've got three cupholders located right next to each other in the fold-down center. They've got those little squishy inserts like yours. Not worried about it because whatever I put in there will just squish 'em flat for the duration!

Thanks for the input -- just the sort of thing I was hoping to see.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
After rummaging through my Ram mount collection I came up with this configuration. I used to have a Scosche magnetic mount in the little cubbie in the dash to hold my old phone, but when I got my new phone I moved it down by my radio. So I pulled the dash apart so I could remove the tiny cubbie, remove the magnetic mount and securely install a 1” Ram ball in its place. I need to clearance the Ram arm a little to get the exact angle I want but it’s close enough to give the location a try. I’m heading out Thursday for a 4-day fishing trip which should be ample time to test it out.

Attachments

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
I use a ibolt mount for my tablet. Not a huge fan of it and will probably get a ram x. It tends to slide on bouncier trails and when I tighten it to the tablet it will press the buttons down too hard and sometimes shut it off.

Attachments

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
I McGyvered an iPad mount I found on Amazon to fit my ProClip mount and it's been solid. Did not move at all during our Colorado + Utah BDR route last month.
Can you show details?

Commish1999

Rank VII
Launch Member

Inventor III

Youngstown, OH, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I used the BuiltRight Industries dash mount for the F350 and then using electrical pipe, end caps and plumbing mounts, configured a long mounting tube. Mounts are trackform.

Used on many trips, everything is secure and solid.
8237.jpeg
3846.jpeg

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Can you show details?
I bought this iPad mount on Amazon, but the mounting location is too low and kind of obstructs the gear shifter. I prefer something higher, that allows me to keep my eyes on the road. I only had a couple of days before leaving on my trip so I decided to get creative. The ball/socket adapter it came with was a different size than the one I currently have on my ProClip.

I had a ProClip adapter for my previous phone, so I disassembled it and screwed it onto the iPad mount (just the claw part that holds the iPad) and reconnected it to the ProClip mount. It held surprisingly well and did not budge an inch even during the bumpier parts of the trails (Colorado BDR plus parts of Utah).

EDIT: The nice thing about this setup is that is does not block the 4Runners entertainment system and you still get full A/C.

20211006_143741.jpg20211006_143748.jpg20211006_143758.jpgInked20211006_143824_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I am currently running built right industries dash mount, along with a 4 inch ram mount arm, and tablet mount. Its very simple to install, looks great, and is very well built.

Attachments

GreyMatter

Rank V

Advocate I

Parole, MD, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Turner
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3SVJ
I just installed a custom mount that I designed and 3D printed myself.

20211007_installed_1200.jpg

It's held to the dash with four 50 lb neodymium magnets, so I can remove it.

20211007_installed-mounts_1200.jpg

99% of the time I don't ever adjust the climate control, so I don't mind covering those up while I'm using the tablet.

Reactions: Pith Dude