Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I'm looking for mounting ideas so I can use my iPad in my 3rd gen Ram. I was thinking a seat bolt mount with stalk would work best for my application but would like to weigh my options before laying out my hard earned cash (these mounts aren't cheap!). If you have a tablet mounted in the cockpit of your rig show us how you did it!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I have had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 inch in a RAM MOUNTS Universal Tab-Tite holder for 10 inch tablets in my vehicle for years. Mounted using B size ball ground plate and double socket arm. Just bolted the ground plate to an asolid anchor point in the cockpit. I have been very pleased with the solution. The tablet was super tight in it even when the route was getting rough. First with an Otterbox around the tablet. When this was older and the rubberframe was not so good anymore, I used it still about 50,000km or 30,000miles without cover in the holder. Worked also perfectly. Without the Otterbox the holder was then a bit too big, I padded it with foam, simple and good.

So, when I got my new Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro last year, with which I am very satisfied (I have described elsewhere here already), I only exchanged the holder for the tablet. After the good experiences of course again a RAM MOUNTS holder. This time the special Power & Data Dock for the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro. That one is really again another improvement to the universal holder Tab-Tite. The tablet holds perfectly, even on rougher routes. Charging and data port integrated. I like it very much and I am looking forward how it works on long-distance overlanding travel, as soon as it starts again! I like to report! I have currently no photo of that setup. Will take a photoshot the next days and upload it here if you like.

For me this setup works so perfectly and it is worth the money to me, someone else is maybe satisfied with another, simpler solution. As always, we can only exchange experiences here. Feel free to ask if you have further questions about the setup.

Last edited:

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Heres what i did in my Gen 4. not sure of the Gen 3 dash layout. DIY tablet holder Ram 1500

The 3rd gen doesn't have a "pocket" on top like yours. Not that it would matter anyway, because on top of the center portion of the dash is where I mounted my Lowrance Baja 540c GPS. I think I want to keep the iPad out of the direct sun, too. I'm noticing Apple products are very easy to overheat.

I got this seat mount for my iPad mini - Amazon.com: Arkon Mounts TAB188L22 Car or Truck Seat Rail or Floor Tablet Mount with 22 inch Arm Retail Black: Computers & Accessories. See bottom right of picture. It looks low, but when mount attached, it looks fine. I could use additional mounting C clip with mine because I have no place to attach it to. That C clip would make it more stable.

View attachment 195626
How the flexible stalk with regards to stability? Does it shake much?

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I used an X grip for my iPad.

View attachment 195627
Love the ammo can center console. That's a great idea that also looks awesome!

There's two designs of X Grip tablet mount. The one @TahoePPV shows, in my opinion is the better one. I've run that one for several years now.
I actually already have an original RAM Tab-tite that must be 15 years old now that I was planning on using. I think its going to be best paired with a seat post mount of some sort.

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I like
I have had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 inch in a RAM MOUNTS Universal Tab-Tite holder for 10 inch tablets in my vehicle for years. Mounted using B size ball ground plate and double socket arm. Just bolted the ground plate to an asolid anchor point in the cockpit. I have been very pleased with the solution. The tablet was super tight in it even when the route was getting rough. First with an Otterbox around the tablet. When this was older and the rubberframe was not so good anymore, I used it still about 50,000km or 30,000miles without cover in the holder. Worked also perfectly. Without the Otterbox the holder was then a bit too big, I padded it with foam, simple and good.

So, when I got my new Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro last year, with which I am very satisfied (I have described elsewhere here already), I only exchanged the holder for the tablet. After the good experiences of course again a RAM MOUNTS holder. This time the special Power & Data Dock for the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro. That one is really again another improvement to the universal holder Tab-Tite. The tablet holds perfectly, even on rougher routes. Charging and data port integrated. I like it very much and I am looking forward how it works on long-distance overlanding travel, as soon as it starts again! I like to report! I have currently no photo of that setup. Will take a photoshot the next days and upload it here if you like.

For me this setup works so perfectly and it is worth the money to me, someone else is maybe satisfied with another, simpler solution. As always, we can only exchange experiences here. Feel free to ask if you have further questions about the setup.

I like the directness of your setup, but my dash isn't really conducive to this. The passenger air bag forces the mount much more towards the center of the dash where it blocks the HVAC controls and radio controls, although I can probable get it low enough to clear the radio, but then access to the cup holders and my phone mount are impeded.

Reactions: El-Dracho

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The 3rd gen doesn't have a "pocket" on top like yours. Not that it would matter anyway, because on top of the center portion of the dash is where I mounted my Lowrance Baja 540c GPS. I think I want to keep the iPad out of the direct sun, too. I'm noticing Apple products are very easy to overheat.

How the flexible stalk with regards to stability? Does it shake much?
I haven't taken it off road enough to tell, but on the streets and highway I don't notice it moving. However, if I was able to attach the 'c' clip to something solid, then it would be very stable. Using the touch screen is ok, requires some finesse while rig is moving.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I use two Scosche flush magnetic mounts on a homemade bracket for my 10" tablet. I also use one for my phone. They have held great.
This isn't my picture but the one that gave me the idea. I don't know what your dash looks like or how you feel about covering up your radio controls or whatever but it makes for a clean mount when the tablet is not mounted.
1619025344298.png

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I like

I like the directness of your setup, but my dash isn't really conducive to this. The passenger air bag forces the mount much more towards the center of the dash where it blocks the HVAC controls and radio controls, although I can probable get it low enough to clear the radio, but then access to the cup holders and my phone mount are impeded.

Thanks. Understand. And of course, all other cockpit/vehicle functions must continue to work properly. This is especially the case for safety-related things. Sometimes I see vehicles where accessories are mounted in front of the hazard light switch or similar - this is absolutely wrong and should never be done in my opinion!

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Since it’s a Taco I’m surprised there isn’t a well established solution but custom can be better anyway. I’d recommend keeping it out of your windshield so you don’t impact visibility and I’d also recommend a 2nd mounting point for stability. I went through 3 iterations before setting on this and despite the weight it’s rock solid off road, doesn’t impact my visibility, and everything else is accessible/functional. The best thing about Ram, and similar products, is that the options are limitless. Get creative and please share what you end up with @ptgarcia

D53562EC-29B4-4481-BB1E-34C4D017E3F4.jpeg5BD6E768-1230-4ADA-BD98-182B9FA0D90D.jpeg

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Looks great, @El-Dracho, that's quite a rig!

I appreciate everyone posting. After staring at my current layout I'm thinking about reorganizing everything. A problem I'm having is the dash components are brittle after 15 years in the sun and when I recently tried to pull them the first piece snapped into multiple pieces. It's always something, I swear.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Looks great, @El-Dracho, that's quite a rig!

I appreciate everyone posting. After staring at my current layout I'm thinking about reorganizing everything. A problem I'm having is the dash components are brittle after 15 years in the sun and when I recently tried to pull them the first piece snapped into multiple pieces. It's always something, I swear.
Thanks @ptgarcia

I always find it interesting to exchange ideas and solutions. This way you help each other and get some ideas on how to implement something. Always happy to help.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Reactions: Desert Runner

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I've been looking for a solution for my Ram cockpit also, so this has all been very interesting. One option I'm considering is something like this: Amazon.com: Cup Holder Car Tablet Mount, woleyi Car Cupholder Tablet & Phone Holder with Adjustable Arm for iPad Pro 9.7, 11, 12.9 Air Mini 5 4 3 2, Samsung Galaxy Tabs, iPhone, More 4-13" Cell Phones and Tablets: Electronics ... Wondering if anyone has tried something similar and what was their experience?

What year is your Ram?

I use a Weathertech cup phone in my Subaru, and it works great in that car, but my 3rd gen Ram has these squish-able rubberized inserts in the cup holders that are relatively shallow so I'm not confident something like that will stay put while bumping along off road. I still haven't made a plan, but I'm leaning towards the seat bolt mount. I'm trying not to keep it accessible and operable by a passenger yet unobtrusive.

Reactions: Mustang03

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign