Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Burghard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7YKP
I am working on setting up my 2019 Subaru Crosstrek and looking for how to mount tablets and phone. One tablet will run Gaia GPS, the second tablet is for Torque Pro so I can monitor the vehicle.

I can't find options that are built for the Crosstrek, so I was wondering what others have come up with.

Thanks.
James

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
After playing around with different mounts, I now only use Ram Mounts also. Now you just have to figure out how to mount them. I think the GPS section has a few threads on this. You mas see some ideas there.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Found these on a quick search. I just typed in your vehicle and ram mount.
When I look for things more specialized like this, I have better luck in specific forums. For example, anything related to my 1996 Cruiser I will most likely find in the MUD FJ80 Cruiser section. The fun/pain about customizing vehicles is trying to find what works.

Crosstrek Forum

Subaru Forum

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've simply gotten used to the fact I'm making holes on any new vehicle purchase. I typically find out if there's anything important behind the piece of trim I want to use and then use self tapping screws to secure a RAM ball there and use that. Currently I have one on the center portion of my dash for my phone and one on the passenger side of the dash for my tablet.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I've simply gotten used to the fact I'm making holes on any new vehicle purchase. I typically find out if there's anything important behind the piece of trim I want to use and then use self tapping screws to secure a RAM ball there and use that. Currently I have one on the center portion of my dash for my phone and one on the passenger side of the dash for my tablet.
The potential issue I see with that is my console and dash are pretty much all plastic. There is very little metal to secure anything substantial, particularly an iPad. I don’t want to spend $$$ on a mount and have things bouncing around. I’ve got a no-drill seat bolt mount on order. I hope it works out.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The potential issue I see with that is my console and dash are pretty much all plastic. There is very little metal to secure anything substantial, particularly an iPad. I don’t want to spend $$$ on a mount and have things bouncing around. I’ve got a no-drill seat bolt mount on order. I hope it works out.
It wont without modification. The bendable aluminum rod they use flexs and bounces all over the place because of how long it is.

All my dashes have been plastic as well but I've had luck using short arms on them.

On the no drill seat mount you can add a cable clamp like pictured below screwed to another point part way up to help stabilize it better. Or you can toss the aluminum bendy pole and get creative with some plumbing pipe. You could also try to route the pole where it gets pinched between the seat and the center console to help hold it steadier.

Last edited:

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I epoxied a Ram ball to the dash of my Tacoma and I now have a rock solid mount for my gps or iPad . whichever I'm using

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

It wont without modification. The bendable aluminum rod they use flexs and bounces all over the place because of how long it is.

All my dashes have been plastic as well but I've had luck using short arms on them.

On the no drill seat mount you can add a cable clamp like pictured below screwed to another point part way up to help stabilize it better. Or you can toss the aluminum bendy pole and get creative with some plumbing pipe. You could also try to route the pole where it gets pinched between the seat and the center console to help hold it steadier.
I ordered the seat mount kit with the large vertical tube and separate swing arm. It looks quite rigid. I’m not worried about passenger space, though. I hope it works well.

Reactions: Downs

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Check out Mob armor. I have their phone mount and it’s incredible. I have one in my raptor and it took all the Abuse my truck did out while doing a fast paced Baja run with a few other raptors. It mounts with a 3m double sided stick tape and magnet so there’s not drilling involved in mounting. I highly recommend them because I didnt want to drill holes in my interior parts. The mount has a ton of adjustment in it so you could place it pretty much however you want it to

Edit: added pictures

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke and WY_Tigger

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I am building my own I finished my first prototype for a 10.5 inch iPad just the other day I have been running around town with it Monday I will be out wheelin so I will do a better critique then. Yes I drilled holes in the dash but so what I plan on being buried in my grand Cherokee

Attachments

WY_Tigger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Burghard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7YKP
Wow!

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. Also, I appreciate all the photos.

RAM-316-HD-18-202U.jpg
855513-a-52263919-1200_1200.jpg

I am leaning towards the RAM Pod HD and ProClip, does anyone have experience with either one?

Thanks again for all the responses.

Reactions: Broke