First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm in!

Please read the whole Rally Point as there is some important information in it for everyone.

Also, please feel free to ask any questions now. This trip will be great for folks just starting out and most vehicles with decent ground clearance will do fine.

We do ask that you have front and rear tow points, a spare tire and the means to change the tire if you should need to.

Looking forward to seeing everyone out on the trail!

Reactions: pcjfro

RedLeg

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Locust Grove, VA
First Name
Leif
Last Name
Henecke
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Any requirement for park passes/fees, OHV, etc.? If so, where are they available prior to entering the park? Thanks.

Reactions: pcjfro

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

how do you plan on ascending/descending Flagpole? Last year, we went up the easier dirt trail and left by way of the washed out rock trail and tighter {read pin stripping} trail. Will that be your route as well?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
how do you plan on ascending/descending Flagpole? Last year, we went up the easier dirt trail and left by way of the washed out rock trail and tighter {read pin stripping} trail. Will that be your route as well?
The planned route is to go up the easier trail from the lake to Flagpole Knob then onward west to Reddish Knob. Then continue from there toward Elkhorn Lake to make camp for Saturday night.

This is a good trail ride for people who might not have a lot of experience driving off-road. @witchdoctor_33 and I did a prerun this last weekend and talked about doing another trip later going up the rougher section from Union Springs to the Knob. I enjoy that route myself and I think it would be a good ride.

mlivesay

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Eldersburg, Maryland, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Livesay
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Still got enough space for one more vehicle to tag along Saturday - Sunday? I haven't been back there for probably 2 years.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
@witchdoctor_33 and I will also be using Ham 146.460 for those with licenses who might be traveling in Friday or Saturday. I'll have my truck radio on and probably my HT as well.

Turnerxc

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Midlothian, VA, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Turner
Member #

I missed the cut off but another rig and I may be coming in Saturday just for a day trip. We would plan on trying to link up with y’all at the lake in time to air down.

Nick80

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Haymarket, Virginia, USA
First Name
NICHOLAS
Last Name
Roozen
Member #

If the limit for this group is filled Im up for a Saturday meetup and camping with another group. Meet Saturday wheel camp go home Sunday.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Sorry guys, we set the limit so low because we're not sure what kind of camping spaces will be available and while normally we'd pile into a spot like stacking fire wood, right now we felt it best to start with a smaller number.

If there are folks who want to day trip it on Saturday or I know a few folks plan on camping with the group Friday night then peel off on separate adventures Saturday that's great!

More than 10 will be welcome for the trail and I'm hopeful that we have more than enough room.

However, there are statewide limits on gathering sizes at the moment and just my vehicle alone is 4 people.

So as long as everyone is mindful about the limitations placed on us for this and everyone is willing to work together to make sure we are as safe and cautious as we can be, we'll try to find or make room for you. But that will probably include trying to find additional camping that may not be near everyone else and breaking into smaller groups on Saturday for the actual offroading sections.

Please post up if you are intending to come, what nights you intend to camp and the number of folks in your vehicle/group and we'll try to have plans for dealing with the group size.

Thanks.