cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Clearly, I'm just too cheap to spend $300 on a camping box but I also think that some of the plastic ones just aren't strong enough.
I'm of the opinion that you buy to certain criteria, which are different for each person (in no particular order):
  • Internal and external dimensions as well as weight of the empty box. A lot of the plastic boxes are rather suboptimal in that regard, but even the aluminum boxes have a difference there that has to be kept in mind.
  • Robustness required in terms of handling the day in day out use. I know that a Pelican case is excellent in that regard, even tougher than an aluminum box. But Pelican cases have also downside with the point above.
  • Perception of quality: I could not live with a Wolf Pack box. It feels like garbage. It might be solid enough for some of my use cases, but it will annoy me every time I touch it.
  • Personal preference for materials and handling: I like having proper handles, robust stacking corners, a lid that doesn't warp, etc.
  • Usage flexibility – I might buy a box to store my kitchen today, but when I change my camp setup, if that box doesn't have the qualities for the new role, I have to buy again.
Personally, I'm the "buy once, cry once" kind of buyer. A lot of the gear I have is overkill for what I do, but it gives me a certain satisfaction when I use it, it will "just work", it will not get in the way or break as easily as cheaper gear. Having to buy twice is not something I will do again, therefore I go for higher quality right away.

And personally, I'm not convinced by a lot of the overland gear that is sold these days, therefore I'm looking more at gear that has been around for longer and came from related needs and requirements. Not build for the purpose of milking a new trend. And I've been using Zarges and Pelican for over 30 years, that gives me the trust and knowledge of these products. Front Runner – let's put it this way: I'm not convinced. Not even close.

It also helps that I plain don't have to think about the price. An item is worth it to me if it does what I want it to do without getting in my way or annoying me in any way. That's value. The price is irrelevant in that case. It can be cheap, it can be expensive. What needs to be right is the value.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Clearly, I'm just too cheap to spend $300 on a camping box but I also think that some of the plastic ones just aren't strong enough.
I'm of the opinion that you buy to certain criteria, which are different for each person (in no particular order):
  • Internal and external dimensions as well as weight of the empty box. A lot of the plastic boxes are rather suboptimal in that regard, but even the aluminum boxes have a difference there that has to be kept in mind.
  • Robustness required in terms of handling the day in day out use. I know that a Pelican case is excellent in that regard, even tougher than an aluminum box. But Pelican cases have also downside with the point above.
  • Perception of quality: I could not live with a Wolf Pack box. It feels like garbage. It might be solid enough for some of my use cases, but it will annoy me every time I touch it.
  • Personal preference for materials and handling: I like having proper handles, robust stacking corners, a lid that doesn't warp, etc.
  • Usage flexibility – I might buy a box to store my kitchen today, but when I change my camp setup, if that box doesn't have the qualities for the new role, I have to buy again.
Personally, I'm the "buy once, cry once" kind of buyer. A lot of the gear I have is overkill for what I do, but it gives me a certain satisfaction when I use it, it will "just work", it will not get in the way or break as easily as cheaper gear. Having to buy twice is not something I will do again, therefore I go for higher quality right away.

And personally, I'm not convinced by a lot of the overland gear that is sold these days, therefore I'm looking more at gear that has been around for longer and came from related needs and requirements. Not build for the purpose of milking a new trend. And I've been using Zarges and Pelican for over 30 years, that gives me the trust and knowledge of these products. Front Runner – let's put it this way: I'm not convinced. Not even close.

It also helps that I plain don't have to think about the price. An item is worth it to me if it does what I want it to do without getting in my way or annoying me in any way. That's value. The price is irrelevant in that case. It can be cheap, it can be expensive. What needs to be right is the value.
Some very good points here. Thank you for this!

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
One thing to always keep in mind: most people here do this kind of thing for enjoyment. A single item in my kit can ruin the day for me. I'm just like that. I like my stuff just right. Many, if not most people are nowhere near as extreme and I understand that. In the end, I have to use my gear and they have to use their gear. Everybody needs to make the decisions for their own use/desire/satisfaction/experience and so on.

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

One thing to always keep in mind: most people here do this kind of thing for enjoyment. A single item in my kit can ruin the day for me. I'm just like that. I like my stuff just right. Many, if not most people are nowhere near as extreme and I understand that. In the end, I have to use my gear and they have to use their gear. Everybody needs to make the decisions for their own use/desire/satisfaction/experience and so on.
Well, I just ordered two K470 cases. Currently crying once. Or, maybe a few times.

Reactions: cug and Old Tanker

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
They're light and space efficient. If you have a little jeep or SUV, what choice do you really have? They're worth it.

Other option? Fragile thin wall plastic boxes? Stolen milk crates? The strong boxes are just too heavy.

I use the giant 55 gallon Stanley totes. But that's in the bed of a truck with unlimited cargo capacity, stacked up. If I dont stack them, kayaks can be strapped down on top of them, and clear the tailgate.

Also consider simple duffle bags.

Reactions: enjoitheride

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

They're light and space efficient. If you have a little jeep or SUV, what choice do you really have? They're worth it.

Other option? Fragile thin wall plastic boxes? Stolen milk crates? The strong boxes are just too heavy.

I use the giant 55 gallon Stanley totes. But that's in the bed of a truck with unlimited cargo capacity, stacked up.

Also consider simple duffle bags.
That’s why I decided to just get them. Having a Jeep, it makes sense for weight, and the ability to utilize a small space more efficiently.

Reactions: MidOH

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
For the record the Plano Sportsman I listed are very tough and so far have no cracks or issues after me dropping them and them being strapped to the roof rack......

Glad you got what you wanted, it is your set up, get what you think is best. Enjoy.

Jim

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

For the record the Plano Sportsman I listed are very tough and so far have no cracks or issues after me dropping them and them being strapped to the roof rack......

Glad you got what you wanted, it is your set up, get what you think is best. Enjoy.

Jim
Thank you, Jim!

enjoitheride

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
W
Member #

Well, I just ordered two K470 cases. Currently crying once. Or, maybe a few times.
Until Sept 19th, use SUMMER15 for 15% off. It should stack with the code FREE SHIPPING.
I appreciate that. I passed on using the discounts, so I could support a small shop who is a distributor for Zarges.

Reactions: Old Tanker and MMc