Swags

• HTML tutorial

Explorer I

Macedon Ranges, VIC, Australia
First Name
Chantal
Last Name
ChB
Love the simplicity of a swag. They are used a lot here in Australia.

There are however a few negatives, limited shelter during rain and the fact that you sleep on the ground. Of course you can place your swag under an awning and place it on a stretcher.
Positives are quick to set-up, can be put down almost everywhere, cheap and you are really one with nature.

We still use our swag without a stretcher, but in all honesty only for 3 or 4 nights max. We are using a Darche dusk to dawn swag.

Reactions: Brianhickerson85

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

I have 2 x 23Zero swags incl the 23Zero sleeping bag (Alaska Black 900) and they are brilliant.
Have used them in blistering sun through to crazy amounts of rain and the snow - no leaks or damage, super warm with the right sleeping bag in winter too. Overall cant fault them at all, and when I take the kids away they take the penthouse (iKamper) while I get the ground level accommodation :)

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

easy to set up. They pack big and they are heavy. When I switched to a pick up from an SUV, i got them it was no issue. Now I am back in an SUV, and space has become an issue, I might be able to still keep 1, since the kid now prefers to sleep in the car, I will only need to carry 1 .

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I like the simplicity of a swag. It's more basic camping, so back to the roots. A combination of swag and a stretcher would be my favorite. However, as others have mentioned, it takes up quite a bit of space.

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

We like them, once you get used to them, it's ease and fast and simple. they are take some space, roof rack or bed rack needed( double is a bit heavy and big), we have been thru heavy rain, snow, heat and cold ,wind. From +30 to -20, no leaks, all good.
You will need to dry them out after rain/snow, there will be condensation on the floor and on the walls.

Attachments

Reactions: El-Dracho

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Forgot to mention. I had normal tent, swag and hardshell RTT. Ease of setup for the swag is second only to the hardshell RTT , and you can leave all the bedding inside, just like in an RTT.
I have a Darchee Air Volution for the kid, and Double Darchee dusk to dawn for me and wife. I would have got the Darchee Air Volution for us as well, but they were not available at the moment I bought them . That is a truly fast pack-unpack swag. And also you don't have to deal with poles - big plus for me when I stumble in the dark a bit tipsy :) ...

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
We like them, once you get used to them, it's ease and fast and simple. they are take some space, roof rack or bed rack needed( double is a bit heavy and big), we have been thru heavy rain, snow, heat and cold ,wind. From +30 to -20, no leaks, all good.
You will need to dry them out after rain/snow, there will be condensation on the floor and on the walls.
Thanks for sharing your experience and pros and cons with it.

Wheel2Live Outdoors

Rank V

Advocate II

De Queen, AR 71832
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Baker
Member #

I bought a Kodiak Canvas Swag a couple of years ago. I love it for solo trips. I usually set mine up on a cot. I have used it during the summer and cold as well and have zero complaints. Sleeping is comfortable even when set up directly on the ground. As mentioned above make sure you dry it well after it gets wet.

H3lv

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

West Rogers Park, Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Massengill
Member #

Is the swag mattress warm enough for the winter?