Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Dang! I was hoping to be able to use your new traction boards...

Good thing I picked up a couple sets of the cheapies. Figured if they only last for one recovery it is still better than a price of a tow. Sorry to hear of your work schedule. Been there, done that. You still have 3 weeks so maybe it will change by then?
Yeah, I'm not really sure when it will change. Im supposed to move to Friday - Saturday off, but there's no indication of when that will happen. They just said sometime after new years. Just trying to be patient.

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Weather for Saturday is looking good. Sunny and 46*. Rain on Friday could make it a bit muddy!

Winter Wonderland IV
Feb 6, 2021
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Dan's Ferry Services, 1984 ID-45, Melba, ID 83641
Destination: Snake River/Owyhee
Estimated Duration: 1 days
Estimated Distance: 73 miles (Dan's Ferry Service to Dan's Ferry Service, 1984 ID-45, Melba, ID 83641)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

Hard to believe it is time for Winter Wonderland IV, but here it is. This time I am staying low in the Snake River area so probably will not be too much snow, but could be some mud.

View attachment 184145

View attachment 636998I will be following two tracks, some of which are part of the Oregon trail, through the area. I may encounter some tight brush and possible rocky areas. Depending on weather there could be some moving water in places and as mentioned above mud.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Reactions: M Rose

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Is this just a bit of a drive, exploring, etc? I may be able to make it, need to check with the chief.
Yes. There will be about 20-45 miles of dirt, two track driving depending on weather and road conditions. There possibly will be a short hike (.11 miles) if all goes well. Most of it will be new areas to me. George.

Reactions: Swizzle

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Some shots from Saturdays adventure. I had a great time with all that showed up. Hope to see you on the trails again sometime soon. George.

Attachments

Reactions: Sparksalot

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Awwww man! I missed a chance to use my new traction boards!! Bummer! Can't wait to see the video for this one. Looks like a blast.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Awwww man! I missed a chance to use my new traction boards!! Bummer! Can't wait to see the video for this one. Looks like a blast.
It was a good trip. We had to use the traction boards twice. Funny... I never needed them till I had them. One other person had boards with them too. Money well spent on this trip.

Reactions: Desert Runner

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Figured I had better get a schedule up in case someone wants to tag along.

Apr: 2-5 Stinking Water: 200 miles (Wilder Idaho to Buchanan Oregon)

I am Planning a 4 day trip for this one, but possibly could turn out to be only 3 days. How many days depends on trails, trail conditions, trail access and time spent at planned locations.

Some trips in early 2018 were scouting trips into a area I have previously had no idea what to expect. With two trips that barely scratched the surface it intrigued me enough to do a full expedition into the unknown. This part of eastern Oregon, I feel, does not get much travel so here we go. I believe road conditions to be from two track to fairly well used roads. One stretch of trail may require some trail improvements such as limb removal. This stretch also may need to be bypassed altogether if conditions get too bad. I hope not, for I have high hopes for this section of trail. Planned visits include a cave, old homesteads, reservoir, historical places, ect.

May: 14-16 Pot Holes This trip has been CANCELLED due to conflict with another trip May 20-24. See details below...

I visited this place a few years back, but unfortunately I was not able to explore the area much. This trip I am planning a whole day to hike and explore the area.

I plan to drive in on Friday, Hike/explore on Saturday and drive out on Sunday. Road conditions are two track and could be tight brushy trails in spots. This time of year could also be some down trees as well.

May 20-24 Mordor V6.0

Mordor is back for another year. This is a trip back to central Idaho for some more lava fun. Caves, craters, lava, buttes, two tracks, dirt tracks abound all around.

I attend this trip each year, it is not my trip, but all are welcome. This year will be a base camp type trip with excursions going out each day. I will probably have a trail ride for each day, if sitting in camp is more your thing then that is a option too. Or, you can make your own daily trips.

Jun:4-7 Midas Touch: 214 miles (McDermitt, Nevada to Hwy 225, Nevada)

I am planning a 4 day trip back into Northern Nevada. This will be a exploration trip into northern Nevada with some planned visits to some old mining towns/camps/areas. There are a few other things to see as well. Roads are really unknown, but I suspect two tracks with possible narrow passages at times. The route at one point will reach 8700 feet.

Oct 2,3 Signature Rock

A quick overnighter to a historic rock in the high desert.

There may be other day trips in between these trips. Tune in on this tread for updates as the dates get closer.

These are not guided tours and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottEtkin

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I start a new job on Tuesday, so I don't know how many I'll have time to be able to go on, but at least I no longer have to work weekend's anymore!

Reactions: M Rose and GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Not wanting to spend $250-$300 on mainstream traction boards I decided to purchase some sub $50 traction boards. To be honest I really thought I would ever use them. In all the times I have been traveling in the back country I have hardly ever been stuck more than what a few strokes of a shovel could not get me out of. Since these boards where under $50 I went ahead and purchased two sets.

This was the first trip out with the traction boards. As it turned out they proved invaluable in this situation. 2-4 inches of thawed mud on top of frozen mud. These traction boards made the day more enjoyable since they worked liked they should have and were fun to use. Yes I did have support, two of the vehicles with me had winches, but what if I was alone? Well these boards would have saved my bacon since I could self recover in this situation as proven in this video. Even if these boards only worked 1 time they saved me hours of digging or waiting for help. In my opinion it was sub $100 well spent.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Not wanting to spend $250-$300 on mainstream traction boards I decided to purchase some sub $50 traction boards. To be honest I really thought I would ever use them. In all the times I have been traveling in the back country I have hardly ever been stuck more than what a few strokes of a shovel could not get me out of. Since these boards where under $50 I went ahead and purchased two sets.

This was the first trip out with the traction boards. As it turned out they proved invaluable in this situation. 2-4 inches of thawed mud on top of frozen mud. These traction boards made the day more enjoyable since they worked liked they should have and were fun to use. Yes I did have support, two of the vehicles with me had winches, but what if I was alone? Well these boards would have saved my bacon since I could self recover in this situation as proven in this video. Even if these boards only worked 1 time they saved me hours of digging or waiting for help. In my opinion it was sub $100 well spent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You for this video. Nice to see the actual post analysis on their effectiveness in the field. They look like the X-Bull brand or one of the many 'clones' of them. I to also had the same thought about their worth in the field. If they shortened or allowed a easier self recovery when off a main road, then they would pay for themselves the first time they might be needed. I also bought 2 sets because of the price point on them.

You actually used them more than the one time (multiple) as you used them as a bridge for your compatriots vehicles also, along with a 2nd use further down the trail. Your comment on how they showed little post damage besides the tire spin gives me a better feeling on how long they might last with actual multiple recoveries.

May I speak for myself and others,.....Again many of us appreciate the down to earth analysis and comments put forth on this video.

PS: I enjoy your exploration, especially the old abandoned homesteads way away from civilization, and how isolated they were from neighbors all those decades ago. What a lonely life, those families must have endured. All reached by miles of dirt roads and trails.

Last edited:

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You for this video. Nice to see the actual post analysis on their effectiveness in the field. They look like the X-Bull brand or one of the many 'clones' of them. I to also had the same thought about their worth in the field. If they shortened or allowed a easier self recovery when off a main road, then they would pay for themselves the first time they might be needed. I also bought 2 sets because of the price point on them.

You actually used them more than the one time (multiple) as you used them as a bridge for your compatriots vehicles also, along with a 2nd use further down the trail. Your comment on how they showed little post damage besides the tire spin gives me a better feeling on how long they might last with actual multiple recoveries.

Again many of us appreciate the down to earth analysis and comments put forth on this video.

PS: I enjoy your exploration, especially the old abandoned homesteads way away from civilization, and how isolated they were from neighbors all those decades ago. What a lonely life, those families must have endured. All reached by miles of dirt roads and trails.
Thanks!
Yes I believe they are the X-Bull second generation version. They were not sold as that though, but look to be the same design. They did take on some nub damage due to wheel spin, I think this could be avoided some if I was aired down. The ice below the mud was as hard as a rock so I feel they were put through the test in this situation. Not to mention that it was still quite cold out which could possibly make the plastic more brittle.

They worked great for bridging the slimy portion later down the trail. Some people had also purchased the same traction boards (orange ones in the video) and were impressed with how well mine had worked when I got stuck. They said after seeing how well mine had worked they were going to purchase another set since I had two sets. They could tell the benefits of having two sets at that point.

Yes, places that even today are isolated. After reading actual accounts and history you realize those people where a whole different human than we have today....

Thanks for watching! George.

Reactions: Desert Runner