Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Last episode of Gorge-us! is up. Enjoy, George.

Nice video series, I enjoyed it a lot . I realize some that watch this might find the landscape desolate, but I like seeing the openness that comes in the low/high deserts of the west. I also like being able to see miles and miles at a time, and not be constantly surrounded in trees. One of the first things that was interesting was all the ground water and moisture on the surface. Was this trip in the spring, summer, or fall? A lot of green both in the foliage and grasses. The lonely little ranch house might have been a homestead, and now maybe is a line shack for a ranch in the area? Talk about living alone.

In your door and dash cams are the 2 'comm' Ariel's located on your bumper, but I caught a glimpse of a third on the right hood (factory radio or another comm antenna?) What are you running, and what distances do you achieve? Wildlife, Deer, Pronghorn, or even some Elk? I have seen a couple along the Interstate, West of Boise on a couple trips while passing thru.

'reaver' shouldn't sweat it, we all will get stuck at one point or another:disrelieved: Are these rigs your regular 4X exploring buddies, or an area 4X club, I ask due to the diversity of the rigs in the video. I have been intrigued in my travels in how the States landscape changes so dramatically from North to South, in such a quick succession, as it also does in Eastern Oregan, beginning around Baker City.

Again, a nice video highlighting the journey to get out and explore. PS......SW Idaho Overlanding

Last edited:
Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Nice video series, I enjoyed it a lot . I realize some that watch this might find the landscape desolate, but I like seeing the openness that comes in the low/high deserts of the west. I also like being able to see miles and miles at a time, and not be constantly surrounded in trees. One of the first things that was interesting was all the ground water and moisture on the surface. Was this trip in the spring, summer, or fall? A lot of green both in the foliage and grasses. The lonely little ranch house might have been a homestead, and now maybe is a line shack for a ranch in the area? Talk about living alone.

In your door and dash cams are the 2 'comm' Ariel's located on your bumper, but I caught a glimpse of a third on the right hood (factory radio or another comm antenna?) What are you running, and what distances do you achieve? Wildlife, Deer, Pronghorn, or even some Elk? I have seen a couple along the Interstate, West of Boise on a couple trips while passing thru.

'reaver' shouldn't sweat it, we all will get stuck at one point or another:disrelieved: Are these rigs your regular 4X exploring buddies, or an area 4X club, I ask due to the diversity of the rigs in the video. I have been intrigued in my travels in how the States landscape changes so dramatically from North to South, in such a quick succession, as it also does in Eastern Oregan, beginning around Baker City.

Again, a nice video highlighting the journey to get out and explore.
Glad you liked the series. Yes the desert is a special place. I too like the wide openness of the terrain especially at night for star gazing. This trip was in late May. We did hit a great time to be out there with a lot of flowers blooming and yes very green for the most part. There was a lot of rain in the area before this trip so that helped out a lot as well as a good snow pack this last winter. The ranch house is only marked on the map with a small black square so I really have no info. I would guess at one time it was a homestead. Still looked like it was well maintained and of course it had a corral that was in good shape too.

The small antenna on the left is a dual band antenna for the HAM/GRMS. The tall antenna on the right is CB. The other antenna you saw is the stock radio antenna. I am running HAM, GRMS and CB for comms. Most of the chatter on this video series was on GRMS. My GRMS radio is capable of 25 watts, the other vehicle mount radio in the group is capable of 15 watts. Everyone else was using handhelds. Usually, if we are out together, we keep the vehicle mounted GRMS radios in the lead and tail of the convoy since they can transmit at higher wattage and keep comms between front and back of the convoy. Handhelds seem to work well to maybe 1/2 mile and get iffy after than, depending on terrain. Vehicle mounted units seem to work quite well and I don't know really how far they will reach before getting iffy. With big groups we could be strung out up to 2 miles and I have no problem talking to the tail vehicle, it is crisp and clear. I would say pretty good to 5 miles at least.

Yes, we usually see a lot of wildlife while running around. I don't have as keep of eyesight for such things since I am concentrating on the road and GPS. Others in the group are the ones usually pointing out wildlife over the comms. Sometimes I think I just scare them up for the others to see... We have seen elk, deer, coyote, antelope, many small critters, birds, reptiles, and water fowl to name a few.

Thanks for watching! Be sure to check out the channel for more videos SW Idaho Overlanding , George.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desert Runner

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

Again, a nice video highlighting the journey to get out and explore. PS......SW Idaho Overlanding
Haha, oh, I'm not worried about getting stuck. There were plenty of rigs to pull me out.

We're less of a club, and more of just a group of people that crash George's trips, cause he's dumb enough to tell us when and where we can find him. LOL

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Sorry, I missed George's comments on the radios. I've got a CB and a handheld 8w UHF/VHF wired into the truck with an external antenna. While crossing the Alvord desert last year, the CB's didn't have enough power to reach to the other side, so I lost contact with the rest of the group while me and another vehicle were trying to find a road out of the desert. I switched to GMRS frequencies using the dual band after that. It works much better than CB (you also don't get the chatter from other vehicles and truckers), but will be putting an actual vehicle mounted GMRS radio in the truck soonish. I've got some other stuff I have to do first.

Reactions: Desert Runner

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Picnic/Meet/Greet :
Aug 3, 2019
Time: 10:00am-?
Meeting Place: Sandy Point
Estimated Duration: Late Morning/Afternoon

Hey!
-Do you like overlanding?
-Do you like picnics and BBQ'ing?
-Do you like talking to old friends or making new ones?

Then listen up! This might be the trip for you....

SW Idaho and 4x4 is heading to Sandy Point August 3 for a picnic/bbq and if you want you can too!

Pack a picnic or bring stuff to bbq. Bring the family and enjoy an hour or two or spend the afternoon. Meet some like minded people, talk with old friends or make new ones.

Should be hot so dress cool and if you like to get wet there is a place for that too.

If we park in the back lot we should even be able to keep all our rigs together!

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Good ol' Murphy strikes again.

But if something messes up the current schedule this will take its place.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Sounds like fun George! I'll run it past the wife, and hopefully we can make it out!

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This event is 2 weeks out....

Picnic/Meet/Greet :
Aug 3, 2019

Hey!

SW Idaho and 4x4 is heading to Sandy Point August 3 for a picnic/bbq and if you want you can too!

Pack a picnic or bring stuff to bbq. Bring the family and enjoy an hour or two or spend the afternoon. Meet some like minded people, talk with old friends or make new ones.

Should be hot so dress cool and if you like to get wet there is a place for that too.

If we park in the back lot we should even be able to keep all our rigs together!

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

Reactions: reaver

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This event is 1 weeks out....

There is a $5 entry fee if you do not have a park pass.

Picnic/Meet/Greet :
Aug 3, 2019

Hey!

Map Link:

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This is a bring what you want, picnic or BBQ. We are planning on just bringing some Albertson's chicken with salads or instance.

This event is more to get people together that share a common interest. Trips are fun, but oddly there is very little time to chit chat with time constraints. I figured it would be nice to have a relaxed environment to talk. Also, I know that many would like to go out with us, but for whatever reason they can not make it. I figured a static event would be helpful for those people to at least be able to come out and say hi!

Looking forward to meeting/talking with all who make it out tomorrow. George.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Thank you for putting this together George.

It was great to get to meet folks.

I look forward to seeing you all out on the trail.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Thanks to all who came out today. Had a great time seeing old friends and making new friends. Even with more time I still feel I did not have enough time. We will have to do this again sometime. Looking forward to seeing you guys on a trip sometime soon. George.

20190803_134014.jpg20190803_134014.jpg

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Sep 28-30, 2019
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: TA Truck Stop 4115 Broadway Ave, Boise, ID 83705
Destination: Bennett Hills
Estimated Duration: 3 days
Estimated Distance: 400 miles (combined)
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13
Zello Channel (phone app): SW Idaho Overlanding and 4x4

SW Idaho is heading to South Central Idaho to look at some rocks! Yes...rocks. If you like rocks this might be the trip for you...

This trip is a base camp style trip. Meaning there will be a easily accessible base camp in rocks with outings on Saturday and Sunday to...You guessed it! Look at Rocks. We will even be driving over rocks on some portions of the outings.

Day 1: Plan is to drive into and set up a base camp. We should be at the camp area by 10:30.
After base camp is set up we will head out to check out two caves. The road to the caves is fairly rocky for a few miles. Meaning slow driving and need of good tires.
After checking out the caves and if enough time is available we will head back to camp on another primitive road.

1.png

The road to the caves is rocky and slow going for the first few miles (about 6). Good tires are recommended for this section of road. It is also pretty narrow in some areas and could cause some pin striping. Dirt and two track the rest of the way to the caves. Caves are not very technical and fairly easy to travers from what I have read on one and prior visit of the other. The primitive road back to camp I have no info on, but I do not think it gets much use so may have same hazards as mentioned above.

2.png

Day 2: Heading out to check on some points of interest and more rocks in a canyon. I am not anticipating anything too hazardous on this route. Probably mostly dirt with some two track travel. A bit of hiking is planned to check out some points of interest. Usually under 1 mile round trip.

3.png

Day 3: Get up, eat, and head back home.

Base camp will be at a interesting place which will be fun to explore on down time. Literally you can walk 10 feet and be in some cool places.

Late September will be starting to get cold so prepare for cold nights and possible cool days.

I set this up as a base camp trip for those who might just want to hang out at camp instead of bumping around out in the desert all day. So if you know someone like that bring them along.

Last edited: