SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
We just did the beginning of Sinker Creek today, that was clear.

We tried to get to Tiddie Springs but it was a little too snowy and rough for our friends in their vehicle. The ruts are invisible in the snow so be careful.

We then tried Silver City. We made it to just around the corner from New York Summit, when my friends tires gave out and we had to break out the MaxTrax... needless to say we turned around and came down.

James
Thanks for the update. I hope the next two weeks will alleviate that snow some.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Lol... maybe, but doubtful with 20s overnight down in the valley.

I’m just happy we got more snow, we’re gonna need it this summer for a long rafting season :)

James

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
To Be Determined
March 10, 2018
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Ridley's Family Market 999 N Meridian Rd, Kuna, ID 83634
Destination: Snake River Canyon
Estimated Duration: Day
Estimated Distance: 60 miles (Ridley's to Blacks Creek Rd/Pleasant Valley Rd.)

Well with the recent wet weather it makes it easy to determine the trail I will be taking March 10th. Drum roll please...... Big Foot!

Most of you probably have not seen Big Foot, but March 10 you can join me, if you like, to see for yourself what Big Foot looks like. I feel you wont be disappointed.

This is a great little trail that does have some technical sections, but would be suited for beginners. There are some rocky sections that can be dangerous to street rated tires. Mud/snow could make sections a bit more tricky than normal. Running tires smaller than 31" and/or choosing bad lines could include some banging of undercarriage.

Weather is looking good for Saturday as of right now with a estimated temp of 53 degrees! Rain is forecasted for Thursday and Friday so mud could be in the mix.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Josh Hartung

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Hey George, moving back to Idaho (Moscow) in the next few weeks and grandma lives in Boise - PERFECT way to offload the kiddos for an adventure. Saw the Mordor trip on ExPo and you've been on my mind since. Subscribed to this thread!

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Thanks to all who came out and enjoyed the day with me out in the desert! I had a lot of fun. Hope to see you guys one the next trip! George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Hey George, moving back to Idaho (Moscow) in the next few weeks and grandma lives in Boise - PERFECT way to offload the kiddos for an adventure. Saw the Mordor trip on ExPo and you've been on my mind since. Subscribed to this thread!
Hi Josh, Glad to hear you are interested in joining up with us! Yes kids are welcome. we just had a couple of little ones with us today in fact.

Not sure where you saw the Mordor trip. I posted that trip in a couple of areas. Just so you know I do have a mirror thread to this one on Expo http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/151736-SW-Idaho-Adventures .

Also, there is a Mordor Trip planned for this year June 7-10. There is some more info here, http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68730 .

Hope to see you on the trails. George.

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
This post could be from my childhood. I grew up in SW Idaho and did a metric ton of camping up and down the S. fork of the Boise up past AndersonRanch/Pine/Featherville. We were in a plain vanilla Wagoneer 4x4 for those years!

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Idaho is high on my list for retirement locations. We have some distant relatives that live there and they constantly rave about how wonderful it is. My wife has some pretty strict criteria though. She's shot down several of my other candidates. I want an alpine location but high on her list is not being snow bound for half the year. It looks like many parts of Idaho get cold and snow, but you're no where near Montana cold and snow.

I hope I can make it out your way for some exploration. It will be a good recon for checking out future homesteads!

Randy

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
This post could be from my childhood. I grew up in SW Idaho and did a metric ton of camping up and down the S. fork of the Boise up past AndersonRanch/Pine/Featherville. We were in a plain vanilla Wagoneer 4x4 for those years!
That is cool. Been up that way a few times. One reason I drive the Cherokee is that I just love the nostalgia that it brings with it.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Idaho is high on my list for retirement locations. We have some distant relatives that live there and they constantly rave about how wonderful it is. My wife has some pretty strict criteria though. She's shot down several of my other candidates. I want an alpine location but high on her list is not being snow bound for half the year. It looks like many parts of Idaho get cold and snow, but you're no where near Montana cold and snow.

I hope I can make it out your way for some exploration. It will be a good recon for checking out future homesteads!

Randy
No Alpine here, but can be driven to in a few hours. Winters in the valley are usually pretty mild. Look me up if you come in for a look around. See you on the trails, George.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
A Bogus Trip?:
May 19-20, 2018
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Jackson's/Shell 101 E Idaho Ave, Homedale.
Destination: Owyhee High Desert
Estimated Duration: 2 day overnight
Estimated Distance: 200 Homedale (Start) to Marsing (Finish). There will be 150 miles between fuel stops, of which most will be dirt road travel.

A overnight trip into the wilds of the high desert. This trip will include quite a bit of ancient to recent history. Some lava travel will be included in this trip. If you like different road conditions, this one may be for you!

This trip will include some old stage road, supply road and military road travel as well as a few historical sites such as moonshining, cattle rustling and homesteads as well, I hope, as some petroglyphs.

The route is planned out, but as usual once you get into the back country plans and routes may be changed due to weather, private property restrictions, road conditions and/or lack of accessibility due to poor information on interested locations. Hey it is part of the adventure.

This is a overnight trip with plans to camp near water. If location can not be accessible then secondary camp sight might be primitive desert.

Road conditions will include rough two track and lava and possible steep areas. I have traveled some of the roads, but not all. I will say that good tires will be needed due to rocky roads and some lava travel. High clearance 4x4 will be needed for some portions of this trip.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the Trails, George.

Attachments

Reactions: Randy P

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho

Randy
Randy I should mention that the videos posted above named "Winter Wonderland" where taken in January. Yes, I was expecting some snow hence the name Winter Wonderland, but as you can see there was not much snow.

Randy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakley, CA
Member #

Yeah- I was noticing that. Is that around the Boise latitude?

Randy I should mention that the videos posted above named "Winter Wonderland" where taken in January. Yes, I was expecting some snow hence the name Winter Wonderland, but as you can see there was not much snow.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
FLASHBACK!-Succor Creek and Leslie Gulch Part 1.

This was a trip from 2015 and my first attempt at doing some film editing for YouTube. It had a sucky one track repetitious song that played with it. Hey it was my first attempt and the editor was free, but very limited. So I pulled it back out and redid the sound track with music from freemusicarchive.org .

A funny thing about this trip is that later I would meet up with a person that put on the Land of Mordor trip 2 years later (See Land of Mordor video below). We had actually been conversing from time to time on another forum, and in looking around in some older forum threads, I found that he was camped in Leslie Gulch the same day we drove in on this trip. Crossing each others paths just feet away from each other and never knew it. Funny how life works out that way. See you on the trails George.