SW Idaho Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Hey George, Glad the Jeep is getting a second (third, fourth, ???) shot at life. You should title the rebuild as your Phoenix Project (literally rising from the ashes)..

I had a '77J-10, worked on it a lot, but that was 40 years ago :sunglasses:. Did a lot of custom work and repairs on it so if you need any help, I'd love to offer my time and enthusiasm. I personally would love to find a '77-'79 Jeep Cherokee Chief (my Favorite vehicle of all time), and make it my own.

Take care and keep us informed on the progress... David
I wish I had a big shop so everyone who wanted to help with this project could show up. We would have a big party! Thanks for the offer.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Please do share if it turns out you have found a good shop, because yes, I am at that very point of trying to figure out how I can take care of future body projects myself.
I hear ya! I had a good shop just across the street from me. Did a good job at a fair price. I was going to have them do the rear flairs, but by time I was ready they had gone out of business. I think they retired.

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Well, the Christmas/New Years season is over, and another year is here. Time to post up the trips planned for the year. As mentioned before, this year will be a bit slower. With trips planned now with the wife and a concentration on the West East Idaho Overland Route there really is not enough time as I would like for other opportunities.

Dec 27 Winter Wonderland VII:
Hard to believe it is 7 years now that I have planned a Winter Wonderland trip. This one starts in Grand View, Idaho and will make its way across the desert breaks to Bliss. This will be a 106-mile run from Grand View to Bliss. It is also a route verification for part of Leg 1 of the West East Idaho Overland Route. I have not been into this part of the desert before so it will be interesting to see what there is to see, if anything. Most of this route will be two tracks with some 3/4 season road travel. Being winter conditions, the trail can be muddy, wet, snowy, frozen, dry or a combination of all of the above. That is what makes the Winter Wonderland trips interesting. You never know what to expect out there.

April 26-29 Lava Roads II:
I did a lava roads trip last year that was part of the Mordor outing. It was an interesting trip through lava fields of South-Central Idaho. So, I thought I would do it again so Lava Roads II it is.

This outing is also a route verification for a big part of Leg 2 and most of Leg 3 of the West East Idaho Overland Route. I planned for 4 days on the trail, but it may only be 3. It just depends on how fast traveling these roads will take.

This trip is 250 miles. Starting in Gooding, Idaho and ending in Firth, Idaho. Most of this route is again 2 tracks with some 3/4 season roads here and there. Last year's Lava Roads trip we went in early June and the roads where pretty wet and muddy, and fun... Hard to say what we will find on this trip. I have driven only a small portion of this route in the past so it will be mostly new for me too.

Jun 1-? Mordor:
Yes, we have a date, but no length or details at this point.

October 19, 20 Bennett Trails:
This trip is a 75-mile trip starting in Glenn's Ferry, Idaho and ending in Bliss, Idaho. This will be a trip into the Bennett Mountain Rang
e. Don't let the low mileage fool you, because this trip might be quite rocky and or rough travels in some locations. There will be two short hikes included in this trip. One .6-mile round trip hike to a hidden homestead and a 1.25-mile round trip hike to a Petroglyph location. Should be a good trip to finish off the overlanding year.

And as usual, these are not guided tours and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

See you on the trails! George.

Reactions: reaver

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Winter Wonderland VII
Jan 27, 2024
Time: 7:00am
Meet Place: Grand View Gas 110 ID-78, Grand View, ID 83624 (Could be across the street for more parking)
Destination: Desert
Estimated Duration: 1 day
Estimated Distance: 106 miles Grand View, ID to Bliss, ID.
Comms Channels: HAM=146.480, GRMS=17, CB=13

Well, it is hard to believe that it is time for another Winter Wonderland trip. Also, hard to believe this is the 7th year for a Winter Wonderland trip.

This trip will be mostly two track with a bit of 3/4 season roads. The two track portions could be tight with sagebrush. Road conditions could be muddy, snowy, wet, dry, frozen or a combo of all or some. That is the chances you take with the Winter Wonderland trips. You just never know what to expect.

Be prepared for cold weather since this is January in the desert. It can be nice or quite cold, again hard to judge this time of year. Better to be prepared than not.

This trip is also part of the Leg 1 West East Overlanding Route. It is a route verification for the last portion of Leg 1.

I have not been into this part of the Idaho desert before. I feel this area should be more rolling type hills and not the flat open desert that is farther south.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

Hope to see you there! George

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Winter Wonderland VII
Jan 27, 2024
Meet Place: Grand View Gas 110 ID-78, Grand View, ID 83624 (Could be across the street for more parking)

Well, it is hard to believe that it is time for another Winter Wonderland trip. Also, hard to believe this is the 7th year for a Winter Wonderland trip.

This trip will be mostly two track with a bit of 3/4 season roads. The two track portions could be tight with sagebrush. Road conditions could be muddy, snowy, wet, dry, frozen or a combo of all or some. That is the chances you take with the Winter Wonderland trips. You just never know what to expect.

Be prepared for cold weather since this is January in the desert. It can be nice or quite cold, again hard to judge this time of year. Better to be prepared than not.

This trip is also part of the Leg 1 West East Overlanding Route. It is a route verification for the last portion of Leg 1.

I have not been into this part of the Idaho desert before. I feel this area should be more rolling type hills and not the flat open desert that is farther south.

This is not a guided tour and all who attend are ultimately responsible for their own safety. I am not responsible for damage, injury and or death. You partake under your own free will knowing the dangers of such activities.

gonna run this one by the wife tonight.i dont forelsee any issues . Don't know if she'll bring her rig though. Or if she'll even go.

Reactions: GHCOE

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
Winter Wonderland VII
Jan 27, 2024

With all the weather we have been having I figured I had better check the snow situation in the area of this trip. At this point it is only showing "trace to 2 inches". Looks like some light rain/snow showers earlier in the week, but nothing for Thursday - Saturday. I would suspect no snow but probably muddy. Temp is showing 42 degrees so it might turn out to be a great day on the trails.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
With all the weather we have been having I figured I had better check the snow situation in the area of this trip. At this point it is only showing "trace to 2 inches". Looks like some light rain/snow showers earlier in the week, but nothing for Thursday - Saturday. I would suspect no snow but probably muddy. Temp is showing 42 degrees so it might turn out to be a great day on the trails.
I was thinking about that the other day as well. Either way, it's gonna be fun...

Now.... To decide which vehicle I want to bring. I'm debating whether I want to bring the truck or not.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it to this one. I've had a medical thing come up in the family which takes priority. Be safe, and let me know how it goes.