SVO ....Small Vehicle Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

Ubermeister

Rank 0

Contributor I

Loving this thread. I'm a new member and I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara which is about to be modded for overlanding. Mainly regular weekends away with my wife, but we have one or two longer trips planned.

Found a small campsite I will try out next summer
View attachment 30922
View attachment 30923
Sent from my Samsung S7 using OBTalk app
That campsite looks awesome. My wife and myself are planning a three week overland roadtrip to Norway, hopefully next year.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Went to check out a stretch of beach near Bay Town I had heard from some old timers still had good fishing without being overrun by tourists like the rest of the coast. A forgotten island sounded tempting so I the everything into the jeep and set the alarm for 4:30 am. I wanted to take the the trailer to test out a smaller generator and a few other mods but after the last trip to Matagorda where the trailer bogged the jeep to a stop I decided to pack the essentials.

Didn't sleep well so I hit the road around 4 am to reach the final stretches of pavement around sunrise.

After checking out the southern portion of the beach, I set up a temporary camp to catch bait.

Caught some hard head catfish (nuisance fish) and a spotted trout that was just below keeper size.

Once the sun was high enough to no longer be in my eyes, I packed everything up and headed North. After almost an hour of driving the beach and only seeing about a dozen fishing groups, I hit the old San Bernard river delta that has since dried due to the construction of the intercoastal canal.

On my way in I was also watching for campsites that night. With the new moon comes a spring tide so I wanted to make sure I didn't have a Matagorda flooding incident repeat. High ground was good, high ground with access to an above high tide path was better.

As I was setting up camp I heard thunder so I threw it in high gear.

Sunday morning

And highlight of the trip was a pair of sharks this morning that were tagged and released.

And while the full sized rigs can carry 3x the water and gear...I got 20 mpg driving home at 70ish mph. [emoji14]

Alistair

Rank 0

Contributor II

What fuel economy do you guys get on your vehicles? It's probably one of our biggest advantages being small, but being body on frame, solid axle and shaped like a brick mine isn't fantastic.

I just did 85 miles of (mostly) highway driving and got:

25mpg (US gallons)
30mpg (UK gallons)
9.3L/100km

Last edited:

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

I have to get into the habit of monitoring the consumption...but the spec sheet says 6lt / 100kms....but the roofrack, larger tyres and camping weight would impact on the figure...let you know !

Salvat

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

Not so hot here. Being smaller my rig only has a 4-cyl so not a lot of power there. With the lift, tires and rack mine is pretty horrid for a smaller vehicle. If I am very careful on the highway I can pull 28mpg (US), but my foot is typically heavier than that.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

My Nissan Rogue was rated at 33 mpg highway, and it would get that driving at 65-70 mph without traffic. Now with the RTT and other add ons I average about 28 to 30 mpg highway depending on speed and traffic. I am really happy with that. So much of my driving is on road. Even loaded up for camping and off road I am doing 25 mpg with the right conditions. IMG_1597.JPG

MidwestJeep

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Evansville Indiana
First Name
W
Last Name
Campbell
It seems like I get 22-24mpg no matter how I'm loaded. I can have me Patriot loaded down and pulling the trailer or have nothing in it at all and it's always right around that mark. I was hoping for better when I bought it but it's still way better than the 14mpg my lifted 97 Wrangler I used to get.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app