Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 2003

• HTML tutorial

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
I started my build around a year ago when I decided I wanted to build a recreational vehicle to use for roadtrips , glacier snowboarding and camping during summer and a competent winter vehicle when the snow comes around.

I live i Sweden so all these uses are quite relevant.

The build also has to be in the budget segment as cars like Jeep, Land Rovers, LandCruisers are quite expensive here.
As I have previously owned a Suzuki Grand Vitara and I liked it and the spares and upgrades are resonably priced here in Europe I decided to go with what I know.

The choice fell on a Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7 from 2003 thatt has to be considered lowmilage with its 125.000km.beskuren1795430074.jpg

Last edited:

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
What has been done:

-Spring lift 2"
-Replaced both left wheel bearings
-Exchanged and upgraded right side support bearing and seal
-Dual battery with
-Ctek Charger with Supply voltage
-Fixed roofrack
-LED light bar
-Sidesteps / Rockslides
-Aluminium wheels
-Android Stereo with GPS and TOPO maps
-Low cabinet drawers in the back.
-Roof top tent
-New larger tires (225/75r16 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx)

What will be done shortly:

-Fixed secondary electric circuit for the DUAL battery
-Solarpanel 60w for DUAL Battery
-220v converter fixed installation
-1" bodylift (no extensions of brake hoses and shifters)
-New cabinet drawers for fridge, stove and stuff
-Snorkel
-Extensions of breathers to the airintake box
-Tire rack for Snowboards/MTB and skis.

What will be done when money and time will allow:

-Winch and steel bumper from RADZIKONE in Poland
-Skidplates from RADZIKONE in Poland
-New polyrthane bushings
-3" advanced liftkit from either 4XFOURART or maybe RADZIKONE if they manage to get the XL7 version on the market soon.
-33" tires
-Transmisson from an XL7 Automatic that has the right gear ratio for 33-35" tires

links not added due to new member rules, will add them later on in the thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Arailt

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
The next thing was to lift it and that is not something that you do easily on a GV Xl7 as the springs in the front are reinforced due to the massive V6 engine.
But with real tools and a bit of will power it went well. So now there is plenty more space for articulation as well as bigger tires.
IMG_20170430_223229.jpg IMG_20170430_223248.jpg IMG_20170430_223305.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
After this I made a roof rack out of two aluminium ladders and some aluminium plates. The roof bars are made for the standrad GV which means that there are a lot of unused space in front of the bars. Therefore I decided to extend the roofrack a bit to maybe use the space above the drivers seat better.
The design is very sturdy and allows for a lot of cargo. (The last picture is before the lift)IMG_20170315_213318.jpg IMG_20170315_213345.jpg IMG_20170318_161834.jpg

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
The dual battery setup was made in a hurry 1hour before we left for a 2week journey to Norway for snowboarding and hiking. The battery is a 60Ah AGM battery with a automatic separation relay.
The battery lasts for 3days when using the fridge all time which I have to say is quite resonable.
I also made a fridge slide made out of stuff laying on the shelf at home that worked really well, but it will be changed when I make the new setup.IMG_20171007_172618.jpg IMG_20170711_101927 (1).jpg Screenshot_20170711-145355.png 19534415_403486560047907_6693471454370988032_n (1).jpg

Reactions: Arailt and Jimmy P

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
Here in Sweden snow tires during the winter are mandatory so you need to change tire setup in december and change back in april. So I decided to check if the tire size 245/75r16 would fit. I bought a single tire on "craigslist" (tradera in Sweden) just to chck if it will work, if so I can use it as spare when I decide what I will buy.
Some slight rubbing due to wrong camber angle but nothing that is easily fixed.
The size of the tires look so much better compared to the winter tires I have on for a few months more.
IMG_20171112_141956.jpg IMG_20171112_143004.jpg IMG_20171229_113200.jpg

Reactions: Arailt and Jimmy P

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
So now I have finally put on the tires and the painted wheels I have put together. The diameter is increased by 2,5" so the new tires are Cooper ST Maxx 225/75r16. I was expecting alot higher mileage and road noise but not at all.
So far the milage is maybe a bit higher, but not really an issue. The road noise is lower than the wintertires from Nokian I had on.
So far impressed, and tonight we got some snow so the winter capabilities will also be tested.

Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20180325_125316 (Medium).jpg

Vadim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sacramento, CA
Member #

Great job on your build so far. I like seeing people build offroad vehicles out of different types of cars besides the typical jeep/toyota selection.

Zuk4Life

Rank I

Contributor II

Awesome job Trex! I have an 05 XL7 myself that I'm just starting to build up. Would you happen to have any more photos of the setup in the back? Looking at doing something similar, tho I have the added issue of the 3rd row seats (which I have to keep in it, and therefore, make my setup modular and removable).
Cheers and keep up the great work!

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
Awesome job Trex! I have an 05 XL7 myself that I'm just starting to build up. Would you happen to have any more photos of the setup in the back? Looking at doing something similar, tho I have the added issue of the 3rd row seats (which I have to keep in it, and therefore, make my setup modular and removable).
Cheers and keep up the great work!
Thanks!!

I am doing a new setup in the back this easter weekend so It will (hopefully) have a new design in a few days. It will be based on square aluminium pipes for lower weight and for easy removal. I will take a lot of pictures and post it here during the build.

Last edited:

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
Great job on your build so far. I like seeing people build offroad vehicles out of different types of cars besides the typical jeep/toyota selection.
Thank you!

I love Jeeps and like Toyotas but they are really expensive here in Sweden so it is out of my budget. So yes it feels quite fun to build something that is different and maybe a bit "out of the box" compared to the normal builds. The Suzukis are quite capable and there are a lot of parts and upgrades available that are quite cheap.
The car is a rust free (looks like new underneath) 2003 that cost me around 3000USD and I have added maybe 3000USD so far for the upgrades and equipment including the tent.
The build will go on and we will se where we end up! :grinning:

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
Here is the start of my new interior fridge slide and stove slide.
It will be covered with thin Plywood and fabric shortly as well as a cable chain in the back to let all the cables run smoothly.
IMG_20180402_112346 (Large).jpg IMG_20180402_112356 (Large).jpg

Reactions: Arailt

Zuk4Life

Rank I

Contributor II

How did you do the hinge on the dropdown tailgate table? I was thinking of the same, but was weary of the plastic being able to support the weight of say a double burner stove plus food, etc. Or did you reinforce behind it?

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I think I've seen this build before, are you on the overlanding.nu forum?

Trexgbg

Rank 0

Traveler I

Sweden
How did you do the hinge on the dropdown tailgate table? I was thinking of the same, but was weary of the plastic being able to support the weight of say a double burner stove plus food, etc. Or did you reinforce behind it?
It is only screwed in the plastic but it works okay. A stove with a couple of liters of water is no problem.