Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Too bad Im supper busy or I would try to come out and play. That area is amazing, I have ridden motorcycles up there a ton.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
It's good to see some familiar names and faces here. Hopefully later in the summer or in the fall I can get out a little bit.

Sent from my SM-J327T using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I put down 10 rigs as a maximum, but I’m not really concerned about the number. We are at 10 now, as I have a friend coming with. I’m going to try to edit the number.

How many people will be meeting in Coeur d’Alene? Who is going to meet in Superior?

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I put down 10 rigs as a maximum, but I’m not really concerned about the number. We are at 10 now, as I have a friend coming with. I’m going to try to edit the number.

How many people will be meeting in Coeur d’Alene? Who is going to meet in Superior?
I'll be in Superior. And with the time change, that would be 10am mountain time at the Pilot, correct?

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I'll be in Superior. And with the time change, that would be 10am mountain time at the Pilot, correct?
I bet 10:30. Someone will run late, and that someone could very well be me. Mrs. Lorax is pretty excited though, and I don’t sleep much past 4:30 usually. I never thought about the time change. Thank you for pointing that out.

Reactions: britz

Poncate

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waitsburg, Wa
First Name
Jus
Last Name
Tin
Member #

We'll meet up in CDA

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Alright, just walked in the door from the Silver Lake and IDBDR trip. For anyone who is looking at camping bear Superior, we're going to drop camp right bear the Hoodoo Pass summit, there are three large dispersed areas within about 1/8 mile that would hold several rigs. We'll have the white 4dr Rubi this trip, and anyone is welcome to hang. The Pass is about a 30 min drive from Superior on a few miles of paved, but mostly a wide, newly graded gravel road.

There is a campground a few miles closer, I believe called trout Creek, looked packed at noon this past Friday.

We'll be rolling in before sunset on Friday.

Last edited:

justjohnthomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orofino, Idaho
Member #

Alright, just walked in the door from the Silver Lake and IDBDR trip. For anyone who is looking at camping bear Superior, we're going to drop camp right bear the Hoodoo Pass summit, there are three large primitive areas within about 1/8 mile that would hold several rigs. We'll have the white 4dr Rubi this trip, and anyone is welcome to hang. The Pass is about a 30 min drive from Superior on a few miles of paved, but mostly a wide, newly graded gravel road.

There is a campground a few miles closer, I believe called trout Creek, looked packed at noon this past Friday.

Britz, it’s been a few years since I’ve been over the 250, how long from Pierce to Superior? We’re figuring out schedules, looking forward to making trip!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Britz, it’s been a few years since I’ve been over the 250, how long from Pierce to Superior? We’re figuring out schedules, looking forward to making trip!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
From Pierce it was right around 4 hrs, with a few dog dewatering stops. Most of the gravel portions have recently been graded, a few small bumps on Black Rock, but I didn't even air down, and most any rig can drive it. FYI, people were getting cell service at the Kelly Forks Work Center.

If schedules don't work with rolling together, Google maps actually brings up the route, just add Kelly Forks as a stop between Pierce and Superior.

Reactions: justjohnthomas

WU7X

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Avery
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WU7X
Hey Dale! I didn’t know you were on here!
Yup, just joined before heading out for the BCOR. Great time down there. Now working on the ROF trip I'm leading in early Sept. That should be interesting as I won't be able to run most of the routes before we start. that is what I call real adventure ha ha!

geonerdist

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alright, just walked in the door from the Silver Lake and IDBDR trip. For anyone who is looking at camping bear Superior, we're going to drop camp right bear the Hoodoo Pass summit, there are three large dispersed areas within about 1/8 mile that would hold several rigs. We'll have the white 4dr Rubi this trip, and anyone is welcome to hang. The Pass is about a 30 min drive from Superior on a few miles of paved, but mostly a wide, newly graded gravel road.

I'm planning on joining you. Do you have a lat/long I could plug into my Garmin so I end up in the right spot. I'm hoping to get off work and out of bozeman mid-afternoon. You a ham? My callsign is W0GIS. I unfortunately haven't had time to install a CB in the rig yet...not enough external space for another antenna :)

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Hey everyone,
If you haven’t had time to rsvp, please do so. Next week I will post who is meeting in CDA, and those meeting in Superior. I will tag everyone so we will have an accurate head count. Here is a few things I have to post for now.

• We will leave Couer d’Alene at 8:15am. So please be at the Mobil station by 8am.
  • The group from CDA should be in Superior by 10:30 am local time. There we will top off with fuel, grab whatever last minute items we need, and have a drivers meeting. I had planned a lunch break at Missoula Lake, but I also forgot about the time change. Perhaps we should eat lunch in Superior also. This is up for discussion.
  • I do not know how long the mine tour lasts. (Forgot to ask) The couple who live there do not have any way for us to contact them. So, it is possible they will not be there. It is only 3 miles off of the main trail, so it doesn’t take long to get there.
  • I will be running a 2m ham and a cb. The 2m will be set to 146.46 and the cb will be set to channel 7.
  • It is roughly 50 miles to Snow Peak WMA. The going will be slow. The Montana side has the better road. It is mostly single lane and has a lot of twists. We will meet other vehicles, but there is enough room to let others pass. The Idaho side is narrower and rougher. There isn’t a lot of room if you meet someone. This is where we all need functioning radios. There is plenty of spots for breaks. We will be passing by a couple of camps with vault toilets if the need arises.
  • I will be pulling a trailer, I’m very experienced at pulling one. If anyone else is going to bring their trailer, you shouldn’t have much difficulty. If you’re new to trailers, we’ll help you get through

That’s it for now. We’re looking forward to meeting all of you. If you have questions, please ask.

Lorax

Reactions: Getsome93 and britz

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I'm planning on joining you. Do you have a lat/long I could plug into my Garmin so I end up in the right spot. I'm hoping to get off work and out of bozeman mid-afternoon. You a ham? My callsign is W0GIS. I unfortunately haven't had time to install a CB in the rig yet...not enough external space for another antenna :)
I'm not the fanciest with electronic gizmos, but the coordinates for Hoodoo Pass are 46.975458, -115.02652080000001

It comes up quite easy on Google maps. From that world famous Pilot station, head along the river on Diamond Rd, which gets renamed Trout Cr/FR 250 for about 25 miles. If you start going downhill, you're in the wrong State, but it's marked.

There's a semi-protected area directly across the road from the actual Pass parking lot, I'm leaning towards that spot, if unoccupied, since there is a little tree buffer from the road. There's a vault toilet about a mile before the top of the pass, I don't recall seeing any at the Pass proper.

I'll have my ham radio on K6YTI (K6yeti), on 146.46, and CB Ch 7, loggers are running that channel in this area.